Start by marking “A Little Prairie House” as Want to Read:
A Little Prairie House

A Little Prairie House (My First Little House Books)

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,456 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Long, long ago, a little girl named Laura Ingalls headed west toward the prairie with her Pa, her Ma, her sisters, Mary and Carrie, and their good old bulldog, Jack. They traveled far each day in their covered wagon, driving through tall grass until they found just the right spot for their new home. With the help of their kind neighbor, Mr. Edwards, Pa built a snug little ...more
Published March 21st 1999 by HarperCollins (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Little Prairie House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Little Prairie House

Rosa Cline
Apr 14, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
These "first" books are absolutely wonderful! The illustrations are very nice and so eye catching for non readers. I LOVED them, am so glad I found them now I won't have to wait until my 2 year old granddaughter is older to share with her the wonderfully sweet stories of Laura and History back in pioneer days! LOVED THIS BOOK...

This book tells how they traveled in the middle of the Prairie where there wasn't nothing to see for a long time. Pa goes and gets logs and he and Ma start building their
Anne
Sep 30, 2014 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reese
I picked this up at the library for my six year old daughter. I was more excited about it than she was. I thought in the iPad age, no kid is really going to like reading about Pa whittling Laura a doll for her birthday.
I honestly can't explain it, but my girl loved this book, and asked to read another. I am nostalgic on this series... who isn't? These versions for younger readers are such a great way to introduce the next generation to the Little House!
Callie Stillion
I read this book, because I have to read this author for school, but I really enjoy this author, and have enjoyed this book a lot!
After reading this book to my doll, I was impressed on how Laura Ingalls Wilder took a single 300-page book and turn it into a 29-page book!
This book was ready. I think it is for people who aren`t ready to read the real series, but are ready to read something similar to it.
Tara
Sep 22, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing

Synopsis: Riding in a covered wagon Laura’s family settles in the prairie and build a house.
Critique: This historical fiction is a picture books, that is great read for early elementary grades. It has beautiful pictures that will draw in readers, I remember wanting to live where Laura lived.
Whole And
Jul 22, 2015 Whole And rated it liked it
An exploration of how pioneers chose the land and how a log house would have been built with the help of community. A very simple story, not really describing any of the challenges such a family might have experienced but a happy story overall.

Corinne Roesler
Apr 07, 2014 Corinne Roesler rated it it was amazing
This is a great introductory chapter book. Students can either read this as a class, or it can be read to them. It is a classic novel, and it has a good amount of adventure from the Midwest. Great book for students who enjoy other books in the series.
Naomi
May 26, 2015 Naomi rated it really liked it
A great segmented series that breaks out smaller stories from the series. This series is a great introduction to the Laura Ingalls Wilder series to move the young reader onto once they are ready. An intro to Mr. Edwards is included in this book.
Donna
Aug 14, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it
My three-year-old was curious about my Little House books, but too young for real chapter books. I was excited to find these Little House picture books! They are perfect for our needs and really in keeping with the spirit of the full texts.
Julie
Jun 05, 2016 Julie rated it it was amazing
The entire picture book series is a delightful way to start a young ones interest in the chapter books and then novel series. The illustrations in this series are just so beautiful.
Amber
Mar 31, 2015 Amber rated it liked it
I really enjoyed reading this; I had always watched the show when I was younger, but never read any of the stories. However, I think this is a great book, especially for kids to read to compare how things are now to how things were back then without running water and electricity. It would be great to use as a writing activity to compare the two.
Pam
Feb 11, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
These books are awesome,and perfect for my little house on the prairie's namesake! So excited to start our collection!
Rachel
Mar 31, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was a really cute book based off of the little house on the prairie series.
Still waiting for surgery
Gabriella
Oct 22, 2012 Gabriella rated it really liked it
I loved the Little House on the Prairie books as a child. My mother first introduced me to the picture book series, such as this one. In this book Laura and her family travel across the country in search of a place for their new home. We learn about how vast the prairie was, how Pa had to cut down logs to build a home, and how sitting around the campfire listening to the fiddle was the way they passed time. Reading these books takes children back to simpler days, capturing a time in history that ...more
Elanor
May 06, 2015 Elanor added it
All by herself!
Subhra Parida
Feb 07, 2015 Subhra Parida marked it as to-read
good
Kim♥
Dec 04, 2008 Kim♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Much to my delight, my boys who are five and two absolutely love these books! The "My First Little House" series takes stories out of the original little house books and illustrates them beautifully. My boys love to point out each family member and my five year old asks lots of questions. These books have become a wonderful way to introduce history and "the simple life" to my little ones. These books have great family values. :)
Jenni
I love all the "My First Little House Books". I love the illustrations and the wordings come right out of the Little House books. All children should read about Laura's family's life and understand the way things used to be. My kids were amazed when I told them Laura's house was probably as big as our living room.
Rachel
Jun 18, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
My girls love these picture books! I would have a hard time getting them to sit through the original series, but this makes an excellent bridge for those who are unable to read themselves!
Another of the few books out there featuring realistic "fiction" (OK, I know this is not really fiction) for children.
Bree
Oct 22, 2012 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Dayna
Jul 08, 2010 Dayna rated it it was amazing
A great introduction to the beloved Little House series. Wonderful pictures to help illustrate a bygone era for young children. Great to read along with the Little House first chapter book series.
Marblesaurus
Jun 14, 2011 Marblesaurus rated it it was amazing
I really liked it. This is the first book I read from this picture book version. Reading this, all the excitements I felt watching the TV series on NHK came back to me.
Hannah
These were my mom's standard read aloud books years. I have found memories of them, but stopped following the series as Laura grew up (and the author changed, yes).
Lena
Jan 05, 2009 Lena rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I read this to Morgan this last weekend and she enjoyed it. I read all of the Little House books when I was in 5th grade. This one is more of a picture book.
Erin L.
Oct 04, 2012 Erin L. rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book, charming and a quick read. I didn't realize until after that this is not the first in the series. Highly recommended classic.
Pam
Jan 16, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, read-2005
My daughter loved these books - the whole collection! I especially loved the illustrations by Renée Graef.
Steph!e
Mar 09, 2010 Steph!e rated it really liked it
I read this book after loving the show series and obviously the book was a bagillion times better!
Brandy
Apr 03, 2008 Brandy added it
It is an interresting book to read i think that my favorite part is when Jack got lost?
Mckinley
May 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it it was ok
Very brief recap of the Little house on the prairie books in picture book form.
Carolyn
Dec 15, 2008 Carolyn marked it as to-read
I read this when I was young and would really like to read it again.
Theresa
Sep 24, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it
Shelves: review
picture resource of the little house on the prairie one small chapter
  • Pioneer Girl: The Story of Laura Ingalls Wilder
  • Daniel's Duck
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • Pigs Aplenty, Pigs Galore!
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Capyboppy
  • Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot
  • Come Along, Daisy!
  • Always in Trouble
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Pilgrims' First Thanksgiving
  • Whose Mouse Are You?
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Summertime in the Big Woods