Start by marking “The Last Citadel” as Want to Read:
The Last Citadel

The Last Citadel

Bastion.

A solitary fortress isolated in an endless sea. A city of secrets where the elite dominate with an iron fist and ambition ends at the city walls.

Ordinarily the city is surrounded by water but one day a month when the moon is at its highest, the water recedes and uncovers the causeways linking the city to the outer towers.

This is Moon-day, the time when the trade
Published (first published November 12th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Citadel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Citadel

Lukas Lovas
Jan 19, 2015 Lukas Lovas rated it liked it
Kind of fun and intriguing, but I spent most of the book wondering, if it was worth finishing. I didn't feel anything for any of the characters, so the only thing driving my reading was interest as to what actually happened. Not even this interest was all that great and the revelation might have been more suited to a movie, than a book. I don't have any strong feelings about this book either way....which is saying a lot about it.
Robert
Aug 11, 2016 Robert rated it it was ok
Interesting setting, but the writing was a bit stilted and my impression of the ending was that the author ran out of ideas.
Todd
Jan 09, 2015 Todd rated it liked it
good plot, bad characters

The worldbuilding, storyline, and surprises were excellent, but there was a significant lack of characterization and some serious gender issues.
Wanda Hartzenberg
Dec 31, 2016 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it really liked it
Very weird. Very interesting. At times I got a bit confused but soon I had the basics sorted and found myself glued to the page.
Jason Boyd
Aug 24, 2016 Jason Boyd rated it it was ok
This was a great idea poorly executed, which led to a very frustrating read. It was also desperately in need of an editor.

I'm genuinely not wanting to troll on Ashman, but his writing style in this novel is amateur and very stilted. There are whole scenes of conversations which all follow a similar pattern. In order for the author to get across the information he needs to, they all followed a 'call and response' style, where the questioning character would simply repeat the last few words of the
Danielle Bonam
Aug 26, 2016 Danielle Bonam rated it really liked it
Another Unique Read

Once again Ashman did a wonderful job in spinning this fictional tale. As a fan of his historical fiction, I was surprised at this completely unique plot. Similar to his Savage Garden, Ashman tells a story with the semblance of history but with a much more present fantasy than found in most historical fictions. (Clearly it was more of a scifi novel, just without the technology.)

Set in a medieval future reality, this story's main theme was that history can be misleading...seein
Ashleigh
Oct 30, 2015 Ashleigh rated it really liked it
My first K.M. Ashman read and I loved it. It’s like a medieval fantasy sci-fi thriller, it was great. I was surprised how much I actually liked this book because the sci-fi/fantasy side of it is not my sort of thing but he tells this story in such a way that you can believe it and really enjoy it. I’m not giving it 5 stars because of the ending, there are quite a lot of unanswered questions. I’m hoping he will turn this into a book series to answer these questions but until then I have to take o ...more
Rene'
Aug 10, 2012 Rene' rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This was a very entertaining book. If you like fantasy books and twists and turns then this will be a fantastic read. Kinda brings you back to the feel of the Romans with how the book is displayed and how the characters evolve. Highly recommended!
Michael Wilkinson
May 19, 2013 Michael Wilkinson rated it really liked it
Imaginative style more fantasy than roman series however characters still entertain recommended
Jo Pussinabox
Apr 28, 2015 Jo Pussinabox rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-challenge
For the 2015 reading challenge - a book with magic in it.
Ken
Aug 20, 2012 Ken rated it liked it
OK, not great read

Hari
Apr 03, 2016 Hari rated it liked it
Meh spoilers

It is quite on ssh cure and I do not know why the author has addiction to shores, their in all his books
David Grieve
Nov 30, 2016 David Grieve rated it really liked it
Good story. Very gripping and imaginative but the quality of the writing was a bit patchy, especially the dialogue. That said, still an enjoyable read if you like a bit of fantasy/mild horror.
Cindy Reinthaler
Dec 27, 2013 Cindy Reinthaler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far it's interesting
Boulder Boulderson
Boulder Boulderson rated it did not like it
Apr 15, 2015
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it it was ok
May 07, 2015
Zilia D'mello
Zilia D'mello rated it it was ok
Mar 09, 2013
pamela boseman
pamela boseman rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2015
Paul Bayless
Paul Bayless rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Paul Howard-Williams
Paul Howard-Williams rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2017
Edward Swalwell
Edward Swalwell rated it liked it
May 18, 2015
Steven Usher
Steven Usher rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
R
R rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2016
Alina
Alina rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
margaret postance
margaret postance rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
SCOTT WILLS
SCOTT WILLS rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Dave Brooks
Dave Brooks rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Ash
Ash rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Dianna
Dianna rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Married for 31 years to the lovely Jan. with four wonderful grown up children.

I took the decision to write full time a few years ago and now make my living as a full time author with eighteen books published so far and another 2 due out in January and July 2017.

Links to my books, poetry and short stories can be found on my website at...

More about K.M. Ashman...