Rogue's Christmas (Deep Sky Pirates #1)

Rogue's Christmas (Deep Sky Pirates #1)

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Harlon is Dark Rogue, a pirate wanted all over the planet. He's looking for a cabin boy. Nakhoda's on the run. He needs a ticket out. In a ruthless world where one misstep can be your last, what happens when a pirate falls in love with his cabin boy?
Published December 5th 2011 by Silver Publishing

Serena Yates
This is a futuristic story which begins to build quite an interesting world. I say ‘begin’ only because it is so short, and I wanted to see more. Luckily, it looks like it will become a series. The vision of the future isn’t entirely positive, and the few glimpses I got sounded depressingly realistic. The type of men able to survive and thrive in an environment like that will be fascinating to observe.

Khoda, some kind of convict, tells this first story, He has some sort of psychic abilities and...more
Tam
This review can be found at Brief Encounters Reviews

This futuristic sci-fi story is set in a not too distant time, where the oceans have been poisoned during a world war and chemical’s put in the water leading to “meth children” who have paranormal powers. Nakhoda is on the run, facing probably certain death in custody, however a dirty cop hooks him up with the pirate Harlon. Harlon smuggles goods and runs a pleasure ship, a sky ship. He agrees to buy Nakhoda warrant, and after five years time,...more
Jax
There're only minimal references to Christmas and the unexplained insta-connection between the MCs was a little strange, but this was an interesting world and characters. It told us just enough not to be lost, but I felt like there was a lot more to learn. I would read more if the author ever returns to this world.
Plainbrownwrapper
3.5 stars, rounding up

Wow, this story comes out of left field. Meaning that it's original and not immediately identifiable with most tropes/cliches/stereotypes, and not part of a series.

This one'll be confusing to summarize. Hmmm. Futuristic/dystopic/almost blade-runner-ish setting, after world wars and biological warfare has poisoned the Earth's oceans and caused "Meth" mutations in the human population giving some people powers (like firestarting). Airships/flying barges are now common, and ar...more
Emily
I enjoyed this story. It was set in an interesting world that I’d love to read more about. My only complaint was that I felt like I missed something. Like there was a book before this that I needed to read first. I was dropped into this fantastical world with all these different types of people and terms and was totally clueless. If there’s not an earlier book, than this book should have had a bit more explanation of the world. Most of the terms were explained, but you’d get the details a bit at...more
Lady*M

The book barely scratched the world and the characters, but, as a teaser for the series, it worked very well. I liked both men and I wanted to know more about them. The forced happy end knocked down the rating - I could believe the men were feeling powerful lust, but for Harlon to ask and Nakhoda to accept to stay on-board forever? No.

I already like this author's writing, but I also know she can do much better in the short story (for example: Spinner, Johnny V and the Razor). I liked t...more
Stacey
Such an interesting concept. Kind of a sky-bound, Waterworld without the boats, dystopian short story. There is so much going on in this world that there is not nearly enough time to set it all up properly, so as the reader you're left with more questions than answers. But the idea and writing are strong, and the characters are engaging, so I'm really waiting to see what Ryssa Edwards does next with this world.

Christmas story? Not so much. But who cares when the idea is this original?
Lipvixen
My heart broke for the former concubine Shanti(?) who was dumped in the bordello portion for doing something he was never told was wrong. His clothes now being worn by new guy and his body now up for sale. Then when the lead character does it he is excused because pirate is in love with him. BAH! If this becomes a series I hope Shanti gets his HEA.
Sadonna
Interesting and completely unexpected. I don't really know how to describe it, but it's quite hot and romantic in it's own way. It's a dystopian, sci-fi type story - with Christmas kind of as an afterthought but who cares? I would love to read more about this world - really just scratches the surface here, but I like it!
Meggie
The start into this new series was interesting and well written. The short plot pulled me into and I wished, it wouldn't be so short. Truth to be told, the characters were simply to undeveloped to make better judgment about them, but so far they were interesting. I hope we will see more about them.
Tamela
Too bad this was a short story. I really like the idea of deep sky pirates. I'm going to have to see if there are more stories out there. Liked the characters but sorry there wasn't enough time to really get to know them.
MsMiz (Tina)
I will definitely read more from this world. This story is a nice taste of things to come with our deep space pirates.
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Teresa Sartori
Teresa Sartori marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Brittney Bower
Brittney Bower marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Ashlee
Ashlee added it
May 07, 2013
Black Rose
Black Rose marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Dacia
Dacia marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Anayo Ebeh
Anayo Ebeh marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2012
Dina
Dina marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2012
Shana
Shana marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2012
FlibBityFLooB
FlibBityFLooB marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ryssa Edwards is a writer of paranormal romance that takes place in other worlds, some of them just around the corner.
More about Ryssa Edwards...
Spinner Warrior Angel, Heart's Desire (Immortal Pleasures, #1) Dark Angel, All the Stars (Immortal Pleasures, #2) The Moon House Hunter Angel, Midnight Gamble (Immortal Pleasures, #3)