Start by marking “Undersea” as Want to Read:
Undersea

Undersea

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  207 ratings  ·  37 reviews
In a world flooded and irradiated by a nearly forgotten cataclysm generations passed, all that remains of civilization clings to life in two war-torn, city-sized submarines. For fifty years, the only peace between them has come from separation. Now, young councilwoman Ralla Gattley has uncovered mysteries that will bring these two factions face-to-face, setting in motion e ...more
Published November 2nd 2011 by Geoffrey Morrison (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Undersea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undersea

Robin Burks
This book really surprised me. Once I started reading, I was sucked into this new world order that existed below the sea. I did not really know what to expect when I purchased this as part of the Story Bundle, but it did not disappoint. The story is a unique take on future Earth and I found the characters appealing and easy to relate to. I was especially impressed with Ralla and the strength that the character possessed, but I have always been a sucker for strong female protagonists.
Adam Sohmer
Geoffre Morrison's "Undersea" is a terrific read, and not just for sci-fi fans. A compelling premise and well-developed characters combine to create the quintessential page-turner; I inhaled this book in no time. Highly recommended!
Jonathan
The book in my opinion was well written. Though the suspension built in the end left me wondering what happened after all that turmoil and grief that Thom and Ralla had to go through.
Numshah
Innovative, a refreshing take on the future of humanity after countless 'we now have spaceships, laserbeams and robots! Hooray!' novels.
Charl
Jan 11, 2013 Charl rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: y2012
Part of the Sci Fi story bundle, and as a Sci Fi story, the whole thing just doesn't hold water. The basic premise of the story is that a failed attempt to destroy/deflect an impending asteroid impact scattered radioactive debris over the planet, making the entire surface uninhabitable due to radiation and melting the ice caps, flooding the entire planet. The survivors of the entire human race live in giant submarines cobbled together from the hulls of surface ships.

Wait, what? Melting the ice c
Joniwaldrup
This book surprised me.

I decided to read it without knowing much about it and it sucked me right in. The setting was very imaginative and very detailed. I really enjoyed all the little touches that made it more real. I don't want to give any of that away, because I think it was really fun to read.

The author creates a lot of tension during the high points of the conflict. It was really hard to put this book down at times. I found the central characters likable and realistic, though they probably
Foggygirl
A really great book, it is an intriguing world that the author has created, and a very action packed story. I look forward to reading more. I would have liked to see more background information about what forced the world's population under the sea in the first place and how the two different factions came to be at odds.
Shantesh
Got this one as part of the Humble Ebook Bundle. Interesting plot about a scenario where humans have had to settle underwater in huge ships. Reasonably fast paced and good central characters. A sequel would have been great.
Michael
Once i had started this book, I could not put it down! A different take on the end of the world. Superb action sequences under the waves, and lots of suspense right up to thevlast page! Please Geoffry write a sequel!
Anthony Kimball
Undersea by Geoffrey Morrison is a gripping tale that should appeal to not just sci-fi fans, but to anyone who appreciates a well thought out story. The world Geoffrey created was detailed and believable, with characters that draw you in, and don’t let go. Well-paced, filled with action and humor, this book will not disappoint. The relationship between Ralla and Thom is intricate and very human with all the flaws, and warts that exist in reality. The technology is well integrated to the story, s ...more
Melvin
Excellent, very original.
Mike Abrahams
Very enjoyable - if you liked Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines (Hungry City series) books this will suit you down to the ground.

Doesn't Geoffrey Morrison know though that you only put out trilogies these days?

What can he have been thinking writing a completely self contained novel?
Michael
a wonderful story set in a post-apocalyptic underwater world.

the characters really make this one. without the strong personality progression of the protagonists, this would be just another generic sci-fi entry (though i did appreciate the fact that this was not set in space, as so many other sci-fi novels are).

well worth your time.
Clive Barnard
A good book which, whilst a bit slow going it was good enough to keep me interested and I am glad I did.
Agnieszka "Aeth" Jędrzejczyk
Can I write a review based on 14% that I managed to read? I mean, I should have known there was something wrong with this book from the start, but I was too smitten with the underwater post-apocalyptic setting and the promise of an adventure with two bickering protagonists to worry about events happening too fast, clumsy descriptions and and overall attitude of a story written for kids.

Suffice to say, I got the setting (whether I could believe in it is another matter) and I got two bickering cha
Brett Daugherty
TL:DR Version. Good book with a love story, submarine warfare, and a well written story line.

Overall a great book. I got this book in the first Story bundle (Highly recommend a look at that if you haven't already) and I wasn't disappointed. It was a short read for me, finishing it in a day, but it was a good day of reading. The story line was well written, if the very ending could have been done a little bit better, but the authors view on a post-fallout world is not one I have seen before and o
Rachel Storey
Author Geoffrey Morrison has managed to create a world of believably advanced technology cobbled together from decades-old decaying parts, set in the depths of ocean water where natural sunlight, and radiation, never reach. Ingenuity and innovation are the keys to life in this world. The cast of fully fleshed-out characters feel like family members, even the really bad dude who needed to be on meds...he is that crazy uncle nobody likes but has to deal with at family reunions.
Dave
I thought this might be a bit like a Peter F Hamilton space opera under the sea (sea opera?) but it felt more like it was written for 12 year old boys. The plot idea was OK, but you really had to stretch credibility to plot pass and I found it rather difficult to grasp just how exactly they managed to create what seemed to be a normal functioning society complete with coffee and wine etc after being underwater in a giant submarine for 3 generations.

And the love story was completely naff.

Sorry,
Adrienne Vaughan
A fantastic read.Highly recommended.
Roberto
Very interesting, well written book. It presents a scenario and follows things to logical conclusions, sets rules and keeps them. Interesting character development, too.

The not so great? Well, it suffers a bit from the "this person is involved in *everything* that happens" syndrome, but that's par for the course in scifi, and I have learned to live with it.

And this is totally petty of me, but whenever Mrakas Gatley was mentioned, I kept reading he's called "Maracas" and giggling, which kinda spo
John
I’ve read some bad books while searching through new authors, and while Undersea wasn’t the worst, it was up there. Geoffrey Morrison, the author, tells a story centered on two huge submarines where the majority of the world’s population lives after a nuclear war. The two subs are, of course, at war. There are some vague ideas that hint that the two subs were on different sides of the war and have continued it long after the nations that build them sunk under the waves. The world has been change ...more
Walter Weston
Good book! Fun to read.
Sean
A nice, entertaining read. I'm a sucker for underwater action and this book delivered that in spades with some solid character work thrown in to boot.
Gdt
This review has been removed due to Amazon's purchase of Goodreads.
Arni
Bought this as part of the IndieBundle. I enjoyed the book, but it wasn't perfect. While the central idea of humanity living on a humongous submarine following a nuclear apocalypse was cool and the plot pretty good over all, the book took a while to achieve a good pace. The characters were a bit flat and none of them truly grabbed me. I wish there was more history, both overall and for some of the main characters (what drove Oppai, for example?). Reading it, you were reminded repeatedly that thi ...more
Dennis
The science was really bad. I mean, really bad.

The worst part was one of the scientist characters castigating another character for his 'bad' science education..then the scientist exposed the authors' terrible science education instead.

If all the ice caps were to melt, sea level would rise at most by 180 feet or so. If the polar icecap got blitzed by an asteroid (as in this novel according to the scientist character) sea levels would not rise by much given how that ice was displacing the water a
John
A science fiction thriller set years after the Earth has been devastated by an asteroid strike that caused all the ice caps to melt and completely submerge all land. Additionally, attempts to divert or break up the asteroid with nuclear weapons only caused it make the Earth uninhabitable above the ocean surface due to the radiation that was spread by the impact. All of humanity is forced to live in 2 city sized submarines (each holding over 100,000!) and a few domes that provide raw materials an ...more
Ryan
What's more interesting than a story about two generational ships locked in decades-long battle with each other? The same, but in the depths of the ocean!

There's a lot of interesing stuff going on here - a look at generational conflict within a generational ship, the mechanics of a city-sized submarine, and some discussion of the human tendency to fight with outgroups, rather than work with them. There are also, in Thom and Ralla, some very interesting characters.

Unfortunately, the (to me) inter
Justin Hargrave
Interesting, fresh concept. Worth the read. Not entirely new, but good enough to keep the reader engaged better than a dozen or so published books I've read! If it tells you anything, I can see this book easily being made into a summer blockbuster ;-). Of course there are aspects of the science that are possibly... Less than credible - but come on, it's science FICTION, people. I was surprisingly pleased by this book, especially as it only cost a buck or two.
Stephen
This is a decent piece of fiction. It reminded me of some of the stories I read when I was a kid about city submarines and underwater colonies. Morrison has fun with the genre and creates a world where hope is a precious commodity and survival an every day struggle.
  • John Gone (The Diaspora Trilogy, #1)
  • Unstable Prototypes
  • Heretic (Templar Chronicles, #1)
  • Disciple (Part I)
  • Hunting in Hell (De La Roca Chronicles, #1 and #2)
  • Diary of a Small Fish
  • The Festival of Bones (Mythworld, #1)
  • Spirit Walker (Serpent Catch, #1
  • The Drought
  • The Secret World Chronicle
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • The Camelot Papers
  • The Wicked Day  (The Tormay Trilogy, #3)
  • A Latent Dark
  • Blaze of Glory
  • The Hour Before Dark
  • The Marinara Murders
  • The Second Coming (Words of the Prophecy, #1)
Geoffrey Morrison is a tech writer and freelance journalist. He was Editor in Chief of Home Entertainment magazine and before that, Technical Editor of Home Theater magazine.

He currently writes reviews and features for CNET, Sound+Vision magazine, HDGuru.com, and other Web and print publications. He has written for Men's Journal, Popular Photography, PC World, Robb Report, Consumers Digest, Chann
More about Geoffrey Morrison...