Start by marking “The Chessman” as Want to Read:
The Chessman

The Chessman

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Hidden forces are willing to kill any and all who stand in the way of untold billions. To toss the authorities off track, they borrow the modus operandi of a brutal serial killer The Chessman who stalked the corridors of power in Washington, D.C. some years
earlier. The ruse is working brilliantly except for one minor detail: the real Chessman is not pleased not pleased one
Published May 25th 2012 by MacAdam/Cage Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Chessman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chessman

Absinthe
Jul 13, 2015 Absinthe rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
The Chessman is one of those books that you're not entirely sure what to do with at first. Reading Agent Jund's dialogue makes me what to vomit, but there are moments that are described with such poetic clarity that you have to admire the author's talent. So basically I was caught between bad-ish writing but a good plot, which eventually turns into a really good plot and decent writing (as long as agent Jund isn't speaking). It was a very compelling read from about 45-100 percent so give it some ...more
Timothy Ward
Jul 16, 2012 Timothy Ward rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
If I keep picking up books written as well as Jeffrey's, I'll become a much faster reader. I prefer books in Fantasy, Science Fiction, or Horror, so the fact that this book grabbed my attention so quickly and easily is an impressive feat. I was first introduced to Jeffrey B. Burton through his short story "A Building This Size" in Evolved Publishing's Evolution Vol. 1 anthology. His story was my favorite in that anthology, and I have been eager ever since to see how he could wow and entertain me ...more
Verena
Sep 25, 2012 Verena rated it really liked it
The reader does not have to be a chess player to enjoy The Chessman by Jeffrey B. Burton. A serial murderer leaves a chess piece in each victim's fatal wound. The investigation is halted when a body believed to be that of the chessman is found, along with leftover chess pieces. Three years later, another murder appears to be the work of the chessman. Retired Special Agent Drew Cady is coaxed back to work on the cold case that left him with a permanent hand injury and early retirement. Is it a co ...more
Katy
Jul 30, 2015 Katy rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
The beginning 1/3 or so was slow. There was so much information that needed to be told for contex purposes that it bogged the pace down. Also, the way Burton used acronyms/explained what they meant just seemed awkward. You're reading along and then - please pause while we take a moment to explain what these letters mean. No word flow. The last third was what I thought the whole book would be - fast paced, full of twists, exciting.
Sue T
Nov 16, 2015 Sue T rated it liked it
This book was interesting enough for me to finish but it was also easy to put down. I love a book so riveting I can't wait to pick it up again. This is not that kind of book. It didn't flow easily and I had trouble keeping track of all of the characters until the last 1/3 of the book.
Stephanie
Jan 18, 2016 Stephanie rated it liked it
There's a whole lot of story in this book! The concept is great; however, I felt like the author was trying to blend too many stories into one and it became rather confusing!
Ayşegül
Feb 06, 2016 Ayşegül rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the begining you want to read that book to the end but more I was reading less interesting got it. Because I felt like I was watching an ordinary action movie but I must tell I felt colse to serial killer so watch out for killer you can also like him :D
Earl
Nov 06, 2014 Earl rated it liked it

Good satire of cops and robbers books.
Jesse Johnson
Jul 08, 2012 Jesse Johnson rated it really liked it
"The Chessman" lived up to its great reviews in that it slipped the rug out from under my feet on at least two occasions. The financial scheming portion of the mystery could be ripped from today's headlines. Burton writes with a hard edge, but there's great tenderness beneath.
Jul 02, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
Based on the reviews my expectations were high, and the beginning was a huge disappointment-- poor writing quality, grammatical issues, etc. Once I got into the story it was okay; I thought the first chronological half of the mystery was much more interesting than the second.
Mom
Sep 29, 2012 Mom rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense-mystery
It was a good murder/mystery with a touch of romance. It was well written, but a bit confusing on the characters until about half way through the book when the plot starts to tie them in with one another. The ending was predictable but still a well told story.
Terry
Nov 01, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it
Good stuff. Burton weaves an interesting plot that kept me turning the pages to see what was going to happen next. Book flowed well. Had to turn back a few times to put the pieces together, but I enjoy when a book does that. Definitely recommend this one.
Tony Houck
Sep 06, 2012 Tony Houck rated it it was amazing
The Chessman is a smart read. Keep an eye open for throways quips that come back with significance later in the book. The novel is broken into the three stages of a chess match (opening moves, middle game, end game).
Craig Meland
Jul 23, 2012 Craig Meland rated it it was amazing
Evil twins, corrupt politicians, serial killers, and a flawed hero trying to climb out of the abyss. I highly recommend this mystery novel.
Laurie
Aug 03, 2012 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Very good read; intriguing plot and great character development. This really pulled me in, and I'm hoping there will be a sequel!
Ginger
Apr 06, 2016 Ginger rated it did not like it
I really shouldn't've read this. I should've realized at the first expletive that it wasn't for me. Too late now.
Joel
Aug 28, 2012 Joel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
This is a fantastic twist on the FBI BAU Serial Killer genre. King's Knight to Queen's Bishop Four, Check.
Linda Seiler
May 13, 2013 Linda Seiler rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I enjoyed this book. It was well paced with plenty of twists. All in all, a good murder mystery.
Shaun
Aug 28, 2012 Shaun rated it liked it
It has a pretty good plot line but drags a little toward the end.
Paul
Jul 15, 2013 Paul rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-legal
Mediocre at best mystery novel. Not really worth your time.
John
Oct 04, 2012 John rated it really liked it
A good fast paced mystery page turner!
Bella Richardson
Feb 28, 2013 Bella Richardson rated it liked it
Just ok. Easy read.
Diane
Diane added it
Jun 02, 2016
Patricia Moss
Patricia Moss rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Dan Warren
Dan Warren marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was ok
Jun 02, 2016
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Krystal
Krystal rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2016
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Harlequin's Worldwide Mystery imprint purchased the paperback rights for THE CHESSMAN, which comes out in April of 2016. THE CHESSMAN (a serial killer in hot pursuit of his own copycat) originally came out in hardcover to excellent reviews in 2012.
THE LYNCHPIN came out to several great reviews in April of 2015.
Jeff's short story, The Soul Fish, received Honorable Mention in Ellen Datlow's Best Hor
More about Jeffrey B. Burton...