Start by marking “The Spear of Destiny” as Want to Read:
The Spear of Destiny

The Spear of Destiny

The Spear of Destiny – 10,000 word supernatural alternate history novella -- Seeking bloodthirsty revenge for the death of his brother in World War II, young seminary student Stuart Mackenzie abandons his theological studies to become an agent behind the enemy lines where he discovers a diabolical Nazi scheme to employ black magic as a secret weapon on a vast scale powered ...more
Published July 21st 2011

To ask other readers questions about The Spear of Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spear of Destiny

Wanda Hartzenberg
Sep 15, 2013 Wanda Hartzenberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult-thriller
The Spear of Destiny by M.E Brines

This is a short story of 32 pages and every single one of this is packed with a punch. I was amazed at what the author managed to do with his characters and the story line in such a limited space.

Character development, world building, this short had it all.

I wish the author would have added another page from the moment where the final confrontation starts up though. It would have made the last few pages a bit less hurried. That said. The pace in the story itse
Olethros
Dec 29, 2014 Olethros rated it liked it
-Aventuras sin complejos.-

Género. Relato.

Lo que nos cuenta. En verano de 1942, el teniente Stuart Mackenzie, veterano de operaciones irregulares tras las líneas enemigas, es convocado a una reunión del SOE donde se le explica que un objeto conocido como la lanza del destino, la misma que terminó con la vida de Jesús en la cruz, tiene poderes muy importantes y al estar en manos de Alemania les permite tener ventajas durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin spoilers?
Jessica Buike
Aug 17, 2011 Jessica Buike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved all the historical facts scattered within this action-filled book! It was a great read, especially since you can download it for free. It follows a young agent who goes behind Nazi enemy lines in order to steal the spear of destiny. It is fast-paced and has a story that will keep you reading!
Jeff Dawson
Mar 22, 2014 Jeff Dawson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating

A most unusual, yet entertaining read.

The general plot is our hero, Stuart Mackenzie has been assigned a most dubious task. Being the top OSS operative, he is chosen to penetrate Himmler’s lair, Wewelsburg and steal the spear that pierced Christ’s body. Legend has it, those who possess are undefeatable.

Being the skeptic he is, when it comes to the occult or supernatural, he views this as just another mission to shorten the war. What he encounters at the castle reveals a frightening
Vix
Oct 23, 2012 Vix rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
OK so this is set in WW2 with a supposed paranormal twist; which never really came for me, apart from some weird chanting.
The author obviously did some research as lots of battles, soldiers and background sighted but it is clearly an American author as it has a clear slant, which as the start is set in London, thereby grabbing a UK audience, leaves a bad taste.
Several lines early on are repeated which is a little odd.
This novel is really not sure what it wants to be though; history book? spy nov
Robert Warr
Sep 22, 2013 Robert Warr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Great Beginning

This is a short novella and introduces the hero and settings for further works.

The book is based in the Second World War and takes as its background the Nazi’s (especially the SS) search for occult power.

I don’t want to describe the book any further as I don’t want to ruin any of it.

Give it a read, if you are interested in the subject. It will probably leave you wanting to read more.
Ken
May 04, 2013 Ken rated it liked it
Shelves: short-story
I liked the book in terms of an occult alternative history story (or is it?). I think the author took a little lightly though the security of the SS. I seriously doubt an enemy agent would be able to waltz as freely as our hero did into such a sensitive SS realm. That aside, I enjoyed the story and am likely to read more by Brines.

3 STARS
Matt Kelland
This is the sort of story you'd find in a pulp magazine like Weird War Stories (which doesn't exist, but should have). It's a simple, entertaining read that made for perfect bedtime reading one night. I may pick up more in the series at some point.
Neil
Mar 05, 2013 Neil rated it liked it
It started off well and then tended to rush things. I enjoyed the basic storyline and the main character was well thought out. Even though this was designed to be a 'quick read' it did leave me wanting more, so I am going to have to try and find some more of this author's work
Robert Lewter
Apr 14, 2014 Robert Lewter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GOOD story! Now I have another author to follow.
Sharon
Sep 26, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A soldier is sent to steal the spear of destiny. He has to penetrate the stronghold where it is held and escape to the west. It's only the beginning of the story. But a good start.
Chris
Dec 24, 2013 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action, world-war-2, nazi
Not a bad book but it is a ripoff. Got the book for free but it turns out it is only the first installment. I wish when you download the book you were told there would be more books and a charge.
Jules Fry
Loved the idea but didn't really reach its potential... interesting sign-off though...
Marjorie
This was way too short. I really enjoyed the beinning, but the action part of the book was rushed and hard to follow. I really wish it had been paced better.
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Carl Sanderson
Carl Sanderson rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Alec
Alec rated it did not like it
May 16, 2012
andy costain
andy costain rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Steven F.
Steven F. rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2016
Mr. Duane G. Quast
Mr. Duane G. Quast rated it liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Leo
Leo rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Mariana Unda
Mariana Unda rated it it was ok
May 28, 2014
Bob Raygoza
Bob Raygoza rated it it was ok
Feb 08, 2014
Matt Ellis
Matt Ellis rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2015
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Manuel Fulcar B.
Manuel Fulcar B. rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Hector Gomez
Hector Gomez rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Rex Mock
Rex Mock rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2014
Debbie Ward
Debbie Ward rated it did not like it
Oct 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
M.E. Brines spent the Cold War assembling atomic artillery shells and preparing to unleash the Apocalypse (and has a medal to prove it.) But when peace broke out, he turned his fevered, paranoid imagination to other pursuits. Designer of more than twenty sci-fi wargames and the Fantasy Nations play-by-e-mail game (all available below) he spends his spare time scribbling yet another steampunk roman ...more
More about M.E. Brines...