Start by marking “Two Fates: The Story Of My Divorce” as Want to Read:
Two Fates: The Story Of My Divorce

Two Fates: The Story Of My Divorce

It’s the classic tale of Punjabi boy-meets-Tamilian girl, they fall in love, the families oppose it, but love conquers all and they get married to live happily ever after. Or do they? There’s a twist in this hilarious tale by Judy Balan when, four years down the line, Rishab and Deepika fall out of love. But if getting married was hard, getting divorced is much, much harde ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Westland (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Two Fates, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Fates

Book'd
May 20, 2012 Book'd rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorite
Dear Judy Balan,
So when is the STORY OF MY MOTHERHOOD is coming up :P

This is what I am now waiting for from the Author. The way this fantastically written book ended, only that can be coming up next!!

The book that made me laugh even though myself being in worst of the moods have become my all time favorite ones and this one is the latest addition in that category.

The story is inspired from my favorite TWO STATES - The story of my marriage but I must admit that this is more entertaining and witti
Lubi Lafdewali
Jun 30, 2012 Lubi Lafdewali rated it really liked it
Judy Balan: You're the reason I haven't succumbed to my sleep yet tonite!!! Haaaa! ;)

I wud like to thank You for that awesome read, babe! Rumba Nalle Ireke :D Pls accept my Apologies for my rusty Tamil, and My Standing Ovation to your 1st novel "Two Fates: The Story Of My Divorce" :)

This is the first book I picked out to read, during my trip to India this monsoon of 2012. And what a wondrous start of my holday it has been! :)

Rishabh & Deepika seem soooo familiar to me. There's a lil' of '
Vineet
Jul 22, 2013 Vineet rated it it was ok
I do not understand why in the first place Rish and Deepu went in for a divorce. I guess it was to assist Judy to write something about. In my opinion Judy thought of writing a book which is an opposite of Two states, so in her enthusiasm has situated the situation where the couple want a divorce but they don't have a valid reason but play along with the author for her convenience.

But at the same time i would say Judy has kept the pace of the story brisk. U can't find faults with the portrayal o
Avanthika
Nov 26, 2014 Avanthika rated it it was ok
With great humour sense, Judy has tried to outsmart Chetan Bagat.
The couples are fighting for divorce having no strong reason for their fight. Only few ego clashes, here and there.
This book can be our travelling companion, but it miserably fails as a sequel to Two States.
Pins
Apr 18, 2012 Pins rated it it was ok
Recommended to Pins by: Picked it up from the Airport store
Vijay Raj
Mar 08, 2013 Vijay Raj rated it it was ok
A decent read. Somehow, I got the feeling that the author got too influenced by the author to the prequel, Chetan in terms of story telling.

Plusses:

Good story telling
Simple vocabulary that reaches out to people like me.
The characters portraying relatives of Rishab and Deepika were well thought of, and connected quite well to real ones we see in everyday life.
Sweet ending with a good twist

Minuses:

Boring redundancies in sentence making - How many times did I see a "matter-of-fact" term in the book
Agnivo Niyogi
Feb 22, 2013 Agnivo Niyogi rated it liked it
Marriages are made in heaven. They say, in India, a marriage does not involve union of two individuals but two families. But what if the families are from two different cultural backgrounds? Can a Punjabi and Tamilian family coexist? You bet they can.

Two Fates begins where Chetan Bhagat’s Two States ends: a cross-cultural marriage. Life is not a “happily ever after” story always. Deepika and Rishab are the “model couple”. From colleagues at office to relatives at home, everyone swears by their l
Julie
Feb 17, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
This book was meant to be a parody of Chetan Bhagat's Two States: The Story of My Marriage Frankly speaking, after having read both I must say that this book is far better than the original one in terms of the humour, the writing style, the punchlines, the story even. It was so much more interesting and I never for one instance found myself bored or wanting to put it down because it was hilarious.

Rishab and Deepika's relationship was far more believable, narrated in a hilariously witty manner. T
Mamata Hosamani
Apr 23, 2012 Mamata Hosamani rated it liked it
Judy Balan has her own way of writing which is funny with sarcasm and sometimes perceptive. I have been following her blogs and really enjoy them. That was the sole reason for me to pick up this book. Well, the book is a simple read, flows easy and a page turner (atleast the first 100 odd pages). Since it is highly influenced by the author's life for the most part of it, it seems very realistic. I could totally relate to some of the characters. While I was reading the book , I was like 'oh, one ...more
Bhargavi Balachandran
I put aside an awesome book( Sarita Mandana's Tiger Hills) and picked this one up as soon as flipkart delivered it to me. I've been reading Judy Balan's blog and find her style of writing loads of fun. So in a sense , i started reading this book with loads of expectations.I am glad that the book didn't disappoint me and Judy's writing is effortless here as well. I hated Two states and found it malicious , whereas this book is written in good-natured jest. All characters were so adorable - includ ...more
Amritha
Feb 03, 2015 Amritha rated it it was ok
It's an average read. The author seems to be very inspired by Chetan Bhagat, so much so that the husband of the protagonist, Deepika Sundar, seems very much like him.
Very predictable story! An attempt to be picked up by Bollywood, maybe?
Keerthi
Mar 19, 2013 Keerthi rated it it was amazing
this book was definitely a page turner.couldn't keep it down.
A nice romance told.although the end becomes obvious the untold romance between the leads was pretty.
Kanchan Roy
Jan 21, 2013 Kanchan Roy rated it it was amazing
After reading "Two States" this was a treat.A nice ending of the North Boy meets Southern girl love story.
Jeena
May 14, 2012 Jeena rated it it was amazing
Can't think of a funnier way to depict something as sad as a divorce! Beautifully sarcastically well written!
Nayana Dumbre
Aug 25, 2013 Nayana Dumbre rated it it was ok
A lot-LOT better than its pseudo-ancestor (2 states)...
Although, it still beats me why did Deepika & Rish want a divorce in the first place....
Ashwini
May 27, 2013 Ashwini rated it really liked it
This book was really intriguing. Liked it :)
Gaourish Gps
Feb 27, 2017 Gaourish Gps rated it liked it
Funny and uncanny. If you want to know want happened after Chetan Bhagat's Two States , read this.
Vishesh Unni
Dec 09, 2011 Vishesh Unni rated it really liked it
Fun, funny and enjoyable!

In India, people just don’t marry each other rather marriage is a great coming together of two humongous galaxies. The couple is nothing more than two insignificant stars somewhere in this cosmic event. So what happens when a couple decide to get divorced by mutual consent and remain simply as best friends? Hilarity ensues.

The couple of course is pressed all the while to have a baby. What’s more the Punjabi and Tamilian families go overboard in blending in with each othe
Amit Gupta
Jun 16, 2015 Amit Gupta rated it liked it
Two fates follows the lives of Deepika Sundar, a Tamilian, and Rishabh Khanna, a Punjabi, who after a long courtship period gets married. Two years down the line, they are fed up of each other and looking for a divorce. Things turn interesting when their families are more bonded than they ever thought to be. It is one happy family and telling them about seperation plans is a tough nut to crack. What follows next is a mad scamper of dealing with in-laws, sorting out differences between the couple ...more
Smita Beohar
Mar 13, 2012 Smita Beohar rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lits
Rishab & Deepika had a love marriage; they have what others call a “perfect marriage.” People quote them as role models for being a couple which is just made for each other. What no one realises is that the couple in question has actually fallen out of love and have decided to go in for a divorce on mutual consent.

They decide to break the news to their family but things are never as easy they look are they? Theirs was Punju meets tamilian marriage which happened in the backdrop of family opp
Veena
Jul 08, 2013 Veena rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-read
this was given to me by a friend who personally knows the author. she insisted that i read it. i was keeping away from all the popcorn books for a while because i wanted to read some serious books like partition of India and global economic imbalance!!

so i kept it away. but after a series of unfortunate events i got back to the books which make you smile. i read judy balan's blog and found it was worth spending time on her writing.

grabbed the book and started reading.

the book is a story about
D
Jun 20, 2013 D rated it it was ok
Priyanka Batra Harjai
Aug 16, 2015 Priyanka Batra Harjai rated it really liked it
The Story of my divorce by Judy Balan is a light-hearted story of a planned separation of a couple.

The couple after spending four years of blessed marriage decides to get separated.The auspicious time coincides with the heightened expectations of the family members to be blessed with a child. The story revolves around the tug-of-war between the struggling couple at one end and families (both) at the other hand, standing hand-in-hand.

Reasons why you should pick up one for you include an interesti
Mani Khanna
Mar 31, 2015 Mani Khanna rated it liked it
Two Fates
-By Judy Balan

Unfolded as an inspiration from Chetan Bhagat's Two states, Two Fates story is written is an exceptionally hilarious manner. Though the story is predictable and I found nothing new in its plot, but still i found joy reading this.

This is the story of Rishabh and Deepika, the Punjabi Boy and a Tamilian girl couple who are married two years ago and have got bored and irritated of each others' habits in this two years. After passing the hurdles of convincing their family for
Harshit Gupta
Dec 07, 2011 Harshit Gupta rated it liked it
Here are the points that I noticed about the book.

It’s a page turner. Simple and entertaining.

In case you had any doubts even after the first one, here I say clearly, It’s funny. At least I found it so.

Characters of the book are interesting. Though Judy doesn’t describe them specially, their traits come out with the story going on. Liked that.

A few things (not many, really) are simply impossible to believe to have happened in reality, but they have been added to make things funny and mostly they
Umme Aiman
Nov 28, 2015 Umme Aiman rated it really liked it
Trivial disagreements blown out of proportion by the couple... the Story of Two States, in complete reverse, and some brilliant wit. And we have ourselves a hilarious page turner. The book was so much fun and had me splitting up often. The families were endearing and funny and as pushy as they could get. Like we can't be.mean to Twinky and Reshu Periamma even If we want to. I had crossed my fingers and hoped that Rish and Deepika make it, because they were made.for each other. Completely in sync ...more
Sankar
Dec 08, 2011 Sankar rated it liked it
A nice book that flows smoothly like a gentle river. Good for a casual read over a travel/weekend. The argument/fight scenes between the couple are very interesting, fresh and enjoyable. The biggest positive aspect of the book is the couple.

The ending and the various turn of events in between make for a very interesting read. Some aspects of the book project a cosmopolitan lifestyle making it difficult to relate, but the mild comedy that is so persistent throughout the book, make it possible to
Sai Sravani
Apr 18, 2016 Sai Sravani rated it it was amazing
an amazing book....a must read!!!!
A turn of events after a Punjabi guy marries a Tamil girl....leading to a mutual hatred and divorce.
How the love re blooms between the couple. how entangled their families become. How they re discover their career passions.....and sticks back to their relationship. AN extraordinary read for who loved the plot of 2 states. and for those who haven't read it or not liked....should definitely try this one.
I book i would love to buy and cherish in my shelf forever!!!
Vinay Leo R.
My review: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2n1

I like the characters, the humor that's not excessive or too less works very well. Simple language that's easy to understand as well. I think a more prominent reason for the separation would've made it better, and some events were too unrealistic for me as well. Overall, it's a light-read that you can finish in a few hours. This is a story that I feel is best suited to be read while traveling. I rate it a 7/10.
Kanchan Roy
Aug 28, 2013 Kanchan Roy rated it really liked it
The book is the afterlives of the famous north meets south story by Chetan Bhagat. How their lives changes after they are married. They love life lost somewhere and their marriage was on the verge of Divorce. But marriage is not only about two people its about to communities of people where lot of life's happiness and hopes are attached. They tried to skillfully hide the fact acting for sometime only to find out the lost love for which they had when they first saw each other.
  • Gods, Kings & Slaves: The Siege of Madurai
  • Soldier and Spice - An Army Wife's Life
  • The Crossover Year
  • Chicken Poop for the Soul: Stories to Harden the Heart and Dampen the Spirit
  • 31
  • God Save the Dork (Dork Trilogy, #2)
  • Just Married, Please Excuse
  • The Karachi Deception
  • Love, life & all that jazz....
  • The Homing Pigeons...
  • Advantage Love
  • The Virgins
  • Zumbar
  • Confessions of a Listmaniac - The Life and Times of Layla the Ordinary
Author of Two Fates: The Story of My Divorce, Sophie Says: Memoirs of a Breakup Coach, How to Stop Your Grownup From Making Bad Decisions (Nina the Philosopher #1), Tweenache in the Time of Hashtags (Nina the Philosopher #2) and Half Boyfriend.

Genre: Comedy

Hop over to the website www.judybalan.com for the long version.
More about Judy Balan...