Two Fates: The Story Of My Divorce

Two Fates: The Story Of My Divorce

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  33 reviews
It’s the classic tale of Punjabi boy-meets-Tamilian girl, they fall in love, the families oppose it, but love conquers all and they get married to live happily ever after. Or do they? There’s a twist in this hilarious tale by Judy Balan when, four years down the line, Rishab and Deepika fall out of love. But if getting married was hard, getting divorced is much, much harde...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Westland (first published January 1st 2011)

Lubi Lafdewali
Judy Balan: You're the reason I haven't succumbed to my sleep yet tonite!!! Haaaa! ;)

I wud like to thank You for that awesome read, babe! Rumba Nalle Ireke :D Pls accept my Apologies for my rusty Tamil, and My Standing Ovation to your 1st novel "Two Fates: The Story Of My Divorce" :)

This is the first book I picked out to read, during my trip to India this monsoon of 2012. And what a wondrous start of my holday it has been! :)

Rishabh & Deepika seem soooo familiar to me. There's a lil' of '...more
Agnivo
Marriages are made in heaven. They say, in India, a marriage does not involve union of two individuals but two families. But what if the families are from two different cultural backgrounds? Can a Punjabi and Tamilian family coexist? You bet they can.

Two Fates begins where Chetan Bhagat’s Two States ends: a cross-cultural marriage. Life is not a “happily ever after” story always. Deepika and Rishab are the “model couple”. From colleagues at office to relatives at home, everyone swears by their l...more
Vijay Raj
A decent read. Somehow, I got the feeling that the author got too influenced by the author to the prequel, Chetan in terms of story telling.

Plusses:

Good story telling
Simple vocabulary that reaches out to people like me.
The characters portraying relatives of Rishab and Deepika were well thought of, and connected quite well to real ones we see in everyday life.
Sweet ending with a good twist

Minuses:

Boring redundancies in sentence making - How many times did I see a "matter-of-fact" term in the book...more
Pins
Apr 19, 2012 Pins rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Pins by: Picked it up from the Airport store
Mamata Hosamani
Judy Balan has her own way of writing which is funny with sarcasm and sometimes perceptive. I have been following her blogs and really enjoy them. That was the sole reason for me to pick up this book. Well, the book is a simple read, flows easy and a page turner (atleast the first 100 odd pages). Since it is highly influenced by the author's life for the most part of it, it seems very realistic. I could totally relate to some of the characters. While I was reading the book , I was like 'oh, one...more
Vineet
I do not understand why in the first place Rish and Deepu went in for a divorce. I guess it was to assist Judy to write something about. In my opinion Judy thought of writing a book which is an opposite of Two states, so in her enthusiasm has situated the situation where the couple want a divorce but they don't have a valid reason but play along with the author for her convenience.

But at the same time i would say Judy has kept the pace of the story brisk. U can't find faults with the portrayal o...more
Keerthi
this book was definitely a page turner.couldn't keep it down.
A nice romance told.although the end becomes obvious the untold romance between the leads was pretty.
Nayana
A lot-LOT better than its pseudo-ancestor (2 states)...
Although, it still beats me why did Deepika & Rish want a divorce in the first place....
Kanchan Roy
After reading "Two States" this was a treat.A nice ending of the North Boy meets Southern girl love story.
Jeena
Can't think of a funnier way to depict something as sad as a divorce! Beautifully sarcastically well written!
Ashwini
This book was really intriguing. Liked it :)
Smita Beohar
Rishab & Deepika had a love marriage; they have what others call a “perfect marriage.” People quote them as role models for being a couple which is just made for each other. What no one realises is that the couple in question has actually fallen out of love and have decided to go in for a divorce on mutual consent.

They decide to break the news to their family but things are never as easy they look are they? Theirs was Punju meets tamilian marriage which happened in the backdrop of family opp...more
Vishesh Unni
Fun, funny and enjoyable!

In India, people just don’t marry each other rather marriage is a great coming together of two humongous galaxies. The couple is nothing more than two insignificant stars somewhere in this cosmic event. So what happens when a couple decide to get divorced by mutual consent and remain simply as best friends? Hilarity ensues.

The couple of course is pressed all the while to have a baby. What’s more the Punjabi and Tamilian families go overboard in blending in with each othe...more
Veena .
this was given to me by a friend who personally knows the author. she insisted that i read it. i was keeping away from all the popcorn books for a while because i wanted to read some serious books like partition of India and global economic imbalance!!

so i kept it away. but after a series of unfortunate events i got back to the books which make you smile. i read judy balan's blog and found it was worth spending time on her writing.

grabbed the book and started reading.

the book is a story about...more
D
Harshit Gupta
Here are the points that I noticed about the book.

It’s a page turner. Simple and entertaining.

In case you had any doubts even after the first one, here I say clearly, It’s funny. At least I found it so.

Characters of the book are interesting. Though Judy doesn’t describe them specially, their traits come out with the story going on. Liked that.

A few things (not many, really) are simply impossible to believe to have happened in reality, but they have been added to make things funny and mostly they...more
Bhargavi Balachandran
I put aside an awesome book( Sarita Mandana's Tiger Hills) and picked this one up as soon as flipkart delivered it to me. I've been reading Judy Balan's blog and find her style of writing loads of fun. So in a sense , i started reading this book with loads of expectations.I am glad that the book didn't disappoint me and Judy's writing is effortless here as well. I hated Two states and found it malicious , whereas this book is written in good-natured jest. All characters were so adorable - includ...more
Sankar
A nice book that flows smoothly like a gentle river. Good for a casual read over a travel/weekend. The argument/fight scenes between the couple are very interesting, fresh and enjoyable. The biggest positive aspect of the book is the couple.

The ending and the various turn of events in between make for a very interesting read. Some aspects of the book project a cosmopolitan lifestyle making it difficult to relate, but the mild comedy that is so persistent throughout the book, make it possible to...more
Aruna Kumar Gadepalli
Good story line with good narrative style.
Kanchan Roy
The book is the afterlives of the famous north meets south story by Chetan Bhagat. How their lives changes after they are married. They love life lost somewhere and their marriage was on the verge of Divorce. But marriage is not only about two people its about to communities of people where lot of life's happiness and hopes are attached. They tried to skillfully hide the fact acting for sometime only to find out the lost love for which they had when they first saw each other.
Ranjitha
What happens when a corny book with bad English hits the book shelves? One, it encourages the pseudo book-worms to flaunt the intellectual tastes on facebook and another, books like Two Fates are inspired after it. The light hearted chick-lit tells the story of Deepika and Rishabh, their marital problems and of course their reunion. Biting sarcasm and a very simple language keeps us engaged. Easily an overnight read. Read it when you are in a mush mood.
Leo
My review: http://wp.me/p2J8yh-2n1

I like the characters, the humor that's not excessive or too less works very well. Simple language that's easy to understand as well. I think a more prominent reason for the separation would've made it better, and some events were too unrealistic for me as well. Overall, it's a light-read that you can finish in a few hours. This is a story that I feel is best suited to be read while traveling. I rate it a 7/10.
Aishee
This delightful take on Chetan Bhagat's 'Two States' is highly commendable. Deepika and Rishabh's story is not only hilarious but also something that Balan's readers can relate too. I felt like I was watching a Bollywood flick laughing at the activities of the in-laws. The ending was especially like a Bollywoos scene, adding to the flavour of the book. I think Judy Balan should write more often!
Pamela Sinha Mathur
A tongue in cheek look at what happens once the fairy tale wedding is over and the realities of marriage sets in. The North India - South India divide is bridged by a happily ever after wedding but when our protagonists want to get divorced its the adoring families who refuse to let go. Nicely written and fun for a one time read.
Shayari
A breezy average read! The analogies drawn around North Indian and South Indian stereotypes are good. But it gets under your skin and makes you grit your teeth, as the sarcasm goes overboard when you flip pages. It is definitely a one time read or for that matter don't worry if you miss this! :)
Shalini
Jan 18, 2013 Shalini rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Anyone who is looking for a light and funny read!
A fun read through and through! The book may draw inspiration from Two States but it is something in itself.. There are stories that are epic, then there are stories that are not epic but so full of spice and life that you cannot put it down for even a minute. This book was like that.
Saritha
Can read it in one go but as usual the book is light and can just enjoy it like you do a bollywood movie where it always has an happy ending.

In terms of the story, it really doesnt seem like a reality but one of those mills and boon story..
Nishal Joseph
loved the humour, wit n sacrcasm.
interesting choice of words specially when describing the urge to retrain from 'violent' behaviour.

thoroughly enjoyed reading the book

looking forward to more from u judy :)
Gouthaman Karunakaran
Armchair reader's book. Judy Balan has a great sense of humor and that's definitely evident in this book. If you like her blog, you'll like this book as well.

Definitely worth a read, though.
Vismaya
not good. families starting to love each other is too unbelievable. That never happens irrespective of whether its a love marriage or arranged, in fact they are less tolerant if its a love marriage
I write romantic-comedy. More comedy than romance. It’s more like a deconstruction of the romantic-comedy, really. That just means that while I have a gooey, chocolate-centre heart with pink stuff oozing out of it, I’m also very conscious of it. So while my stories are part romantic, I get my kicks out of taking digs at romance as a genre. This is why both my books have a distinct anti-romance thi...more
More about Judy Balan...