Start by marking “Castle: How It Works” as Want to Read:

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Take a tour of a medieval castle.Every part of the castle has a function. Walls keep the enemy out. Towers protect the lord and the soldiers. From the moat and portcullis to the great hall and dungeon, see how a castle works as an enemy army tries to storm the walls.
Castle: How It Worksis a Kirkus Reviews Best Children's Book of 2012
Published September 18th 2012 by David Macaulay Studio

To ask other readers questions about Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Castle

Jordan Brown
Author: David Macaulay
Reading Level: ages 6-10

Macaulay, David (2012) Castle: How It Works London: Macmillan

This book is a non-fiction look at how life was like inside a medieval castle. Also, the book focuses on the exterior and interior of the castle, and it's many defensive components. I have a particular taste for all things medieval, so this book really catches my interest.

First off, it's very informative and breaks down the infrastructure of a castle down brilliantly. T
Christina Fisher
Castles, because they are rarely lived in anymore and provide such grandeur to behold when inside, provide a very captivating book for kids of all ages. The author, David Macaulay, gives great insight using cutaways of castles (the inside and outside of them) so that kids can see what they are truly like and what the purposes were of their different features. The illustrations are realistic and show the castle being used, so that readers will know what life was like inside a castle. The drawbrid ...more
Gps
very informative in the David Macauley style; plenty of information to keep the young reader interested, and the illustrations add tremendously.

also, no glossing in this non fiction book, e.g. infected pig is ready to be catapulted into the castle.

book will challenge the adult reader b/c there will be plenty of questions.

although focused on the early/beginner reader, the text may be too difficult, and the print is too small.

but, enjoy, high quality work, by an excellent writer.
Heather Dowell
I was not looking forward to reading this book. I was reading it more out of necessity than anything. I'm writing a novel and part of it takes place in a castle. I googled castle terms, but they were all very confusing. After reading this book, I have a much better understanding of what things are called and learned a few new things.

The author wrote it like a what if kind of story, which really worked to get the information out without boring the reader. I would highly recommend this to children
Shelli
This is a fantastic book for independent young readers, filled with fun and informative facts about castle defense. Students will learn so much about what obstacles an invading army would have to overcome if they wished to lay siege on a fortress. Castle, How it Works is perfect for additional elementary history curriculum, or for a nightly reading assignment.
Laurie
This book fascinated our preschool and kindergarten set. Diagrams outline every aspect of a medieval castle in well drawn detail. Be prepared to answer the many questions that arise as children compare modern life and amenities to castle life. Reading and studying the book numerous times resulted in translating the drawings into amazingly well constructed sand structures! A strong contender for one of the best summer books brought home from Grandma's Library Run.
Janessa
Yay! A book my science-minded 8-year-old wants to read! It is hard to find a book that will keep him in his seat. But when our daily reading time was over today, he stayed put and kept turning pages. I love that this book has a higher reading level, without an overwhelming amount of text. Maccauley does an excellent job of assembling intriguing facts and infusing them with the perfect amount of story-telling. For example, he begins the book with the idea that a castle is meant to keep people out ...more
Lu Benke
As easy readers go, this isn't bad. It's just sad that the fun and detail of Macaulay's illustrations get chopped down to the size of easy reader format. The font, too, seems to be the wrong size (too small), and the lack of white space seems to make the pages look crowded and unclear. Still, the text is fun and fascinating and informative. Seems like it would have been better to keep everything in the original format. But then there wouldn't have been a whole new series to market...
Ian
A charmingly simple little manual.
Julie
Like some reviewers here, I also missed the richness and depth of Macaulay's illustrations, but there was still enough to intrigue. Also, it was refreshing in these days of political correctness to see a catapult hurling a dead, infected pig and and explanation of "murder holes." I very much like the concept of a nonfiction easy reader--the subject matter might inspire a reluctant reader to try a more challenging book about the same subject.
Ingrid
I'm not sure how successful this will be as an easy reader, but I love it as a non-fiction title. The added color may make it more accessible to contemporary readers, but it retains all the great elements of the original. There is still the picture of the man on the toilet which was my kids favorite part, but now you can see that he pile at the bottom of he chute is brown--gross! Can't wait tot try this out with my kids.
Pamela
Yea!! A Castle book just right for beginning readers. With a Lexile level of 500 this is a great read for the youngest grades.

Boys will especially like the description and drawings of the castle toilet. And the instructions on how to lay siege to the castle and breach the walls will most certainly be acted out many times, complete with catapult contents I’m sure!
Librariansteph
The only thing standing between this book and a five star rating is my feeling that this is not really a book for a beginning reader. Easily a third grade reading level. That said, it is the best nonfiction castle book for early elementary I have ever read. And it will be appealing and informative even for those kids who are challenged by the syntax and vocabulary.
Pauline
This book was a great fit for Robby; although not technically an 'early chapter' the content was a bit more challenging than a typical PICTURE book...he loved how descriptive the text was and noticed many small details in the illustrations. Hope to find more like this at NCTE this year.
Sara Wirth
The pictures correlate beautifully to the text. Would be a lot of fun to pick apart the illustrations with kids. My only issue was with how the text was broken up. The flow of a sentence was often disrupted, which made it hard to concentrate and understand the information.
Samantha
An easy reader tour of a castle. Many vocabulary words are introduced and detailed illustrations make it easy to find the part of the castle being described in text. A fantastic book that will likely inspire further interest in the subject.
Kristine
Perfect for 2nd graders - L read aloud to me, holds enough interest with a girl who loves watching Jane and The Dragon. Also we have recently watched the Narnia movie and were able to make quite a bit of connections.
A great non-fiction title for early readers interested in castles. The format was excellent, looking at the different ways castles functioned for their inhabitants both as homes and fortresses.
Christina Potter Bieloh
This was a really fun and interesting book! Davey is interested in castles and found this book to be pretty fascinating. Great clear illustrations and simple engaging descriptions!
Leigh
Excellent introduction to castles and the people who lived and worked in them. Good choice for younger readers, too simple for more sophisticated readers.
Beverly
An easy reading version of his classic, much longer work. Elementary readers will learn a lot about castles and the people who lived in them.
Lindsay
I'll have to remember this book when kids ask for knights, armor, battle, medieval life, and so on. It's full of awesome details!
Erin
My favorite part of this books was the detail in the illustrations, and how they corresponded to the text.
kate
A second-grade level nonfiction book on how a castle works. Glossary at back.
GraceAnne
Most excellent, in the "My Readers" series.
Ms. B
Learn about castles.
PWRL
Apr 29, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
SM
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Macaulay, born in 1946, was eleven when his parents moved from England to Bloomfield, New Jersey. He found himself having to adjust from an idyllic English childhood to life in a fast paced American city. During this time he began to draw seriously, and after graduating from high school he enrolled in the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). After spending his fifth year at RISD in Rome on ...more
More about David Macaulay...
Black and White Castle The Way Things Work The New Way Things Work Cathedral: The Story of Its Construction