Start by marking “Is This a House for Hermit Crab?” as Want to Read:
Is This a House for Hermit Crab?

Is This a House for Hermit Crab?

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Hermit Crab will fit just right into summer story hours and family suitcases.
Paperback, Reading Rainbow Book, 32 pages
Published September 1st 1993 by Scholastic (first published March 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Is This a House for Hermit Crab?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is This a House for Hermit Crab?

Oblongata
I found this book so adorable lol.
Jen
repetitive scritch-scratch that kids can participate with. kinda long.
Janet
When this was published it was considered nonfiction, but there is only slight information here about the hermit crab which seems to only center on the crab finding a new shell. Certainly there are other details to learn.
Julie Graham 47150
Shells are one of the habitats the first graders in my class study. We read fictional stories about hermit crabs and non-fiction books about many kinds of animals that live in shells. Along with "Moving Day" by Robert Kaplan and "A House For Hermit Crab" by Eric Carle, I read this book. My students love the predictability of the hermit crab's sounds. It also opens up the discussion to talk about why animals need certain characteristics in their homes.
Elizabeth
Fun art, good story. Beach ST?
Sabrina Henry
This is a very popular children's book. It is about a hermit crab getting too big, hence outgrowing his shell. He searches for a new home but is met with some challenges. I often see a copy of it in many preschool classrooms and other classrooms for young children. It has attractive illustrations. The repetition can be used to enagage children and build their comprehension skills.
Kelly Whelchel
Science Grade: 1 Fiction Topic: Hermit crabs

In these book it helps to show different types of homes. Use to explain the types of homes that a hermit crab may live in.

Possibly have a hermit crab in my class.

Have students draw their house. Have them also write about the type of house is right for us.
Paula
When Hermit Crab outgrows his old house, he ventures out to find a new one.
Cute story and great for participation of the kids using sand paper (Julie M) for every time the crab walks through the sand and the sound is scritch-scratch
David
I really like the pictures in this book. I look forward to reading more by the same author.

Whoo-Oo Is It?
Olson Family Matters
Fun repetitive pattern in the text - Madelyn enjoyed reading and joining in: "Is THIS a house for hermit crab?? Noooo."
Bree
Notes:
cute but not realistic -- a crab would never try these things on
repetitive text was not very engaging
Theresa
a good story for teaching environmental change
Meghan McGuire Denlinger
Meghan McGuire Denlinger marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kindree
Kindree marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Marce Villalva
Marce Villalva marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Maggy
Maggy marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Dolly
Dolly marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...
Judy Moody (Judy Moody, # 1) Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid (Stink, #1) Judy Moody Gets Famous! (Judy Moody, #2) Judy Moody Saves The World! (Judy Moody, #3) Judy Moody, M.D.: The Doctor is In! (Judy Moody #5)