Start by marking “Kermit the Hermit” as Want to Read:
Kermit the Hermit

Kermit the Hermit

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  24 reviews
A little boy saves Kermit from disaster, and the once cranky crab works hard to repay him.
Published October 27th 1980 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Kermit the Hermit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kermit the Hermit

Courtnie
I don't confess to understand how my kindergartener chooses his books from the library from school. Maybe he just wanders the shelves and chooses based on interesting pictures. Maybe he asks his friends for recommendations (wouldn't that be cute?). Maybe he has asks the library clerk to help him.

Probably he just picks the two off the display without paying much attention at all.

However he chooses them, I'm so glad he brought home Kermit the Hermit.

There's a good chance that I might have enjoye
Lisa Vegan
I love Bill Peet but so far this is probably my least favorite book by him.

It’s rather long, even though the rhyming story is entertaining and the illustrations are ones I enjoyed.

But, boy saves crab from (very cute) dog, then boy goes fishing to kill another type of fish. Huh?

And, pelican helps crab, but then what? (I’d be interested in what other readers think.)

The whole book is about how a greedy and selfish crab tries to figure out a way to repay the boy for saving his life. But, I just coul
Leah
Received this at the baby shower and was surprised I hadn't read it before. Very cute book that is fun (but long) to read aloud as a bedtime story.
Joe
I'm a total Bill Peet fan. Also, I live near Monterey Bay and remember how it was in 1965, when Peet published this story. In 1965 Monterey was more like John Steinbeck's Cannery Row and not like the theme-park aquarium tourist megacenter it is today, and this book evokes the Cannery Row era quite well. Peet is sympathetic to a poor fishing boy whose family is clearly Latino. When the boy saves the life of Kermit the selfish hermit crab, Kermit repays the boy at great risk and sacrifice to himse ...more
Liz
Week 3:
Kermit the crab is a grumpy shellfish who is mean, rude, and does not like to share with anyone. Kermit meets his match when he encounters a dog on the beach. Having given the dog a pinch on the nose, the dog teaches Kermit a lesson by attempting the bury him deep in the sand. The dogs attempts are stopped by a young boy who saves Kermit and sets him back in the sea. Kermit realizes the boys actions saved his life. To pay for the boy back Kermit attempts to change the boys life in return.
Tim
Jun 16, 2014 Tim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Kermit the crab is a grumpy hoarder who only lives for himself until, one day, he is rescued by a little boy. From then on his life is given purpose: to repay the little boy. The entire story is an interesting image of how our life can be transformed when it is saved and given proper perspective. His replacing of his hoarded junk with newfound treasure is also a very powerful image.
Not to mention that Bill Pete's rhyming and illustrations are always awesome too!
Alice
4.25 Stars This book is a book about what goes around comes around. You never know what small act of kindness can do!

The reason I can't give it 5 stars is it is long. The message is great, the pictures are great, Bill Peet is great! Great story!

Very Nicely done!
Michael
More memorable than most storybook poems, solid rhymes and simple, colorful pictures, nice moral.
Robin
One of Peet's most creative stories. Love the rhymes and underwater illustrations,
Samantha Lazar
A greedy,selfish crab is saved by a boy after a dog accidently almost buries him. The crab feels as though he should repay the boy for saving his life. The crab is a haorder and collects unecessary things.
The overall message is to treat others the way you want to be treated, and this book does a great job of doing that. It is a great way for little kids to learn that lesson since little kids are not yet aware of these things in life.
Nicole Fellows
Kermit the Hermit is about a greedy crab who is saved from a dog by a little boy one day. Then he decides to change his ways and find a way to repay the boy for saving him.
This is a great story that I think children would like listening to. It teaches a good lesson about helping others and treating others the way you would like to be treated. I loved that it rhymed all the way through. It really gave the book a nice rhythm. Cute book!
Mel Foster
A good children's book about generosity. I have to admit though every time I read it I am annoyed that the mark of prosperity is having a television set!
Celeste
One of my clients asked me to read to this to him. Its about a greedy crab who was touched by a child who saved him from a dog. This experience drew him out of his shell and helped him touch others.
Angela
This is my favorite Bill Peet book. He is my favorite childhood author of all time. I love nearly all of Bill Peets books! I never tire of them, and am thrilled to be reading them to my own children!
Johannes Kristian
Own.

Kermit the Hermit is a funny book; the crab had to fight for his food from seagulls and other crabs and some crabs gave him a boot and a broken jack-knife and a key and a ball of kite string.
Paula
Quite a long story but wonderful to read with a smaller crowd or an older group
After a mean, selfish crab is rescued by a boy, the crab searches for a way to repay the kindness.
Cheryl
Three and a half stars. Fun fable in Peet's typical rollicking verse. I'm so glad my library hung onto these old stories.
Mandy
Kermit the lonely crab guards his collection of junk until one day a dog and a boy change his selfish ways.
Amanda
Really fun story, told all in verse. Super fun to read out loud to the kids. Everyone loved it.
Kid
A full-bodied story with great themes -- gratitude, friendship, and generosity.
Terryann Saint
Simply love everything Bill Peet ever did.
Katie Watkins
I loved the moral to the story!!
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Jane Drummond
Jane Drummond marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
  • Socks for Supper
  • Amos et Boris
  • The Bee Tree
  • The Raft
Bill Peet was an American children's book illustrator and a story writer for Disney Studios. He joined Disney in 1937 and worked on The Jungle Book, Song of the South, Cinderella, One Hundred and One Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, Goliath II, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Fantasia, The Three Caballeros, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and other stories.

Aft
More about Bill Peet...
Capyboppy The Wump World Bill Peet: An Autobiography The Whingdingdilly The Caboose Who Got Loose