Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery, #8)

Powdered Peril (Donut Shop Mystery #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Powdered PerilJessica BeckIt’s hard to keep a secret in April Springs—especially when it involves a no-good cheater like Peter Morgan. Donut shop owner Suzanne Hart has tried to be civil with the guy, since he’s dating her best friend Grace. But when Grace shows up at her doorstep—sobbing—Suzanne’s the first to admit she’s glad the relationship is over. She’s also the firs...more
Published August 28th 2012 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

A Killer Plot by Ellery AdamsGlazed Murder by Jessica BeckA Slice of Murder by Chris CavenderBuried in a Book by Lucy ArlingtonSmoky Mountain Tracks by Donna Ball
North Carolina Mysteries
14th out of 103 books — 7 voters
Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee BenderTwilight by Stephenie MeyerThe Cupcake Queen by Heather HeplerMake Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolff
Food on the Cover
399th out of 593 books — 297 voters

More lists with this book...

Wendy
Powdered Peril stands up just fine as a stand alone mystery, but one of the many things I love about cozy mysteries is the sense of being part of a family that you get from reading each book in a series. When we first met donut shop owner Suzanne Hart she was recovering from a broken marriage and just learning to stand on her own. In the books since then we have come to know and enjoy the growth in Suzanne's personal and business life. Suzanne's mother has grown as well, moving on to a new chapt...more
Nora-adrienne
Jessica Beck's Donut Shop series has reached a new plateau. Between the number of suspects, the amount of work Suzanne and Grace have to put in to solve this mystery, and the totally surprise ending, you will not put this book down for even a second, until you've reached the last page.

A total winner!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This was a great read. Familiar sleuth friends, Suzanne Hart and Grace Gauge are racing against time and evidence to prove the innocence of Grace in the murder of her boyfriend, Peter Morgan.

As the duo investigates on their own,having refused the help of the Mayor George, Suzanne's boyfriend, Jake, a state policeman, and others, they find to their shame and disgust, that Peter was not worthy of Grace nor any other woman's heart.

A serial womanizer is just the frosting on the donut as we learn. Pe...more
Kate
This series is always fun, but now that we are this far along it would be nice to see some movement in Suzanne's life, in some way or another, so she isn't just a flat character whose life is stagnant. I think the author is getting tired of coming up with donut recipes (see the recipe for what she literally named "Probably Not the Worst Donut in the World You'll Ever Eat". .. Doesn't exactly inspire one to get cooking, does it?). There are so many limitless flavors, not just for donuts, but for...more
Jeanne Stephens

This edition of the Donut Shop Mysteries won’t disappoint. Suzanne’s and her friend Grace investigate the murder of Grace’s boyfriend.
Don’t worry; tears will be optional because Peter turns out to be a real player. Who wasn’t he sleeping with?
Suzanne and Grace get into a few jams investigation all the possible suspects. As usual in this series they are light years ahead of the local police department even though they investigate in their spare time.
You will love this series and the recipes look...more
LeeAnn
When I need something fun and light, this series is perfect. And one of these days, I might just try out one of the donut recipes.
Emilia
great cozy! :) quite fast paced, and the killer turned out to be a person I did not give much thought :) well done!!!
(plus I have now 2 new recipes to try... ;) )
Elise Dubois
An easy read. Interesting for just two of the usual party to work through the mystery.
what I particularly liked, was remembering the characters almost from the start. This means [to me] that the characters are vital to the storyline as well as likable. I had just returned a book to the library cuz I couldn't get "into the story", could not "call up" the characters from my memory bank and nothing "grabbed me"---sooo, I returned the book, unfinished. The books I read are ones where I've read all in the series and when a "new" book is released I read.
Susan
Grace has just broken up with her cheating boyfriend Peter Morgan when the police find him murdered. This makes her a person of interest, but fortunately her best friend is donut maker Suzanne Hart, who has solved several murders in the past, and who certainly won't leave Grace to the tender mercies of the police. A lot of people had it in for Peter, and the women interview them and do a lot of snooping before the murderer comes to them.
Dru Ann
Suzanne and Grace are on the hunt for a killer who murdered Grace's ex-boyfriend, especially when Grace becomes the top person of interest. The mystery kept me guessing with the many directions the author took to tell this wonderful story. There were some good moments that had me quickly turning the pages to see what happens next. With all that was occurring in April Springs, it was good to see the rest of the supporting cast.
Kimberly
I'm torn. I really like this series, but Suzanne is starting to sound like a bully. No wonder Chief Martin gets so mad at her during an investigation. I thought it took a lot of nerve for her to be offended at Nan being mad at Suzanne for questioning her like she did. Suzanne's approach at investigating left a bad taste for me to the point where I didn't enjoy the book as much as I wanted to.
Syretta
Ok tried another one and this was the worst. I checked it out from library and it was a paperback, which is usually an easy read for me...it took me weeks to finish this...and I didn't even read the whole thing. I skipped to the end..

Suzanne is boring and getting more irritating by the books..her mother is even more irritating than she is.

Dull book, done with this series..
Karen
Quick easy light mystery. They always make me hungry. Lol it must be the donut recipes. I have only made one recipe from this series and it was good it is just too fattening lol. The story was good. I liked watching grace be a main character and Suzanne helping a friend out. The mystery was not solved as easily for me. Lots of red herrings in this one. I liked,it
Ramona
I love these donut shop cozy mysteries. This one involved Suzanne's best friend Grace. Graces boyfriend was murdered and it was up to Suzanne to clear her best friends's name. She was also dealing with a new assistant in the shop as her long time employee Emily went off to college. Makes me want to open up a donut shop or at least make a stop at Dunkin Donuts. Lol.
Trisha
I've really enjoyed this series and this is no exception. This one hits very close to home as Suzanne's best friend Grace is now a person of interested in her ex-boyfriend's murder. As they investigate, they turn up all sorts of stuff about Peter that Grace didn't know. It's a little strange with George as mayor but it wasn't bad. Enjoyable read.
Amanda
Suzanne and Grace are simply incredible!

This was a fantastic addition to this sweet series.

Suzanne and Jake are a perfect couple, I really hope that they find a way to spend more time together and move to the next stage of their relationship.

I loved the ending chapters, and I can't wait to read the next novel in this series.
Amanda
Suzanne and Grace are simply incredible!

This was a fantastic addition to this sweet series.

Celeste
I love this series because I almost feel as though I'm part of the family of characters. I've gotten to know Suzanne and her donut shop and I feel right at home
In this book, I'm saddened by the loss of Emma ( Suzanne's donut partner) but I understand her need to try college.
This is a really fun " cozy mystery" genre series
Gretchen
After eight of these books, the plots become very similar: someone is murdered, and Suzanne and Grace make a list of suspects and then drive all over the county asking them questions about their relationship with the dead person. I like the characters, but this one seemed a little dull or something. Better luck next time.
Debbie
I normally love this series but this book annoyed me. I got a little tired of reading in every chapter what a wonderful, strong friend Grace is. Alright, I got it...move on. This story was almost more Grace worship than a story. I'll stick with the series because I have enjoyed the rest and hope that the next is better.
Sandra
I enjoyed the book however I am disappointed with how the murderer was revealed. There were some unanswered questions as well. I have read the rest of the series and have enjoyed them all.
Connie
Poor Grace!! This time Grace has to deal with being accused of murder! And it's her own boyfriend!
Suzanne has to deal with having a new assistant in this book and I like what happens as it progresses with that particular line. I also really like the ending. It is cool to have such a wonderful mom and friends.
Molli
Nov 19, 2012 Molli rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
This is the last book I read of this series. I liked them much better earlier on. It drives me insane how there are no clues to who the killer is- I will give credit the killer is always an introduced character. I like a fluff book now and then, and these aren't even good enough for that anymore.
Lisa
I'm a huge fan of Suzanne & Grace, and this light read didn't disappoint. I love all of the "trouble" they get themselves into! I'm glad that one special character is back in April Spring's, too. Now if we can just get Jake in more of the story line's, I'd be a happy camper!
Paula
I really love this series. This time Grace finds herself in a pickle when her boyfriend ends up dead. I totally was going a different direction than the way it resolved, but it was still a surprise and kept me in suspense. I can't wait for the next one.
Natasha Jackson
I love this series. Out of all the books this was the worst. I haven't card too much for Grace through out the series especially in this one. I have read book 9 and she is starting to grow on me. I was really disappointed in this book.
Kelly24
Although I enjoyed catching up with Suzanne, I was still waiting to see how the town had changed as stated in the first chapter but that was never made clear.

It was still good but not as good as the previous books.
Cynthia Rielley
pretty good. note not a great idea to read all these books in a span of a few weeks. You can burn out easily.
Good pacing, interesting characters. Could use a little more character growth
Glenn Harris
Suzanne Hart gets involved in a remarkable number of murders considering that her main job is running a donut shop in a small town, but she (of course) always discovers the villain in the end.
  • Rest In Pizza (Pizza Lovers, #4)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Arsenic and Old Cake (A Piece of Cake Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Moose Motive (A Chocoholic Mystery, #12)
  • One Dead Cookie (A Cookie Cutter Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Hickory Smoked Homicide (A Memphis BBQ Mystery #3)
  • Eggs Benedict Arnold (Cackleberry Club, #2)
  • If Fried Chicken Could Fly (Gram’s Country Cooking School Mystery #1)
  • Sour Apples (Orchard, #6)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery #2)
  • Death in Four Courses (Key West Food Critic Mystery, #2)
  • Sucker Punch (A Candy Shop Mystery, #5)
Jessica Beck is a pseudonym used by
Tim Myers.
Jessica Beck is the penname of an author who has been nominated for the Agatha Award and named an Independent Mystery Booksellers Association national bestseller nearly a dozen times.

Jessica Beck loves donuts, and has the figure to prove it. It's amazing what people can convince themselves is all in the name of research! For each recipe featured in the...more
More about Jessica Beck...
Glazed Murder (Donut Shop Mystery, #1) Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery #2) Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery #3) Tragic Toppings (Donut Shop Mystery, #5) Evil Eclairs (Donut Shop Mystery, #4)