Girl Talk

Girl Talk

2.99 of 5 stars 2.99  ·  rating details  ·  316 ratings  ·  37 reviews

Lissy Jablonski was fifteen during the summer of 1985. That was the summer her father, a soft-spoken gynecologist, up and left her mother for a redheaded bank teller. The same summer Lissy and her mother disappeared from their quiet New Hampshire lives to have an adventure of their own amid a cast of unlikely characters, including a Valium-addicted ex-debutante and a susp

Published (first published January 1st 2001)

Tracy
Sometimes I really liked what this author wrote, and barked out loud. But, then I would shake my head because it wasn't quite right. You know, when you open a present someone is so excited to give you, but they've missed the mark. And, you're left looking down at a mustard polyester leisure suit with a bemused look on your face. Oh, well. Maybe the poems are better.
Kyla
Dec 20, 2007 Kyla rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: friends with time
First novel written by a friend in Delaware-- really enjoyed it, and don't regret a minute I spent with it. Quick read, enjoyable.
Emily
A pretty good read I would say.
Jes
So right around the middle of this book, I realized that I had, in fact, read this before. Sad that it took me 100 pages to figure that out.

I find this book interesting, as Baggott explores the idea that not only do daughters follow their mother's footprints sub-consciously, but might actually be purposefully choosing to execute details in their lives after them.

I don't find it believable that a mother of a 15 year old would sit up late, confessing her sex secrets from before she was married. Th...more
Karo
I gave Girl Talk a whirl, having heard about it here and there, and I must say that I was disappointed. Not because I had had particularly high expectations of the novel, because I hadn't. I was disappointed simply because I felt that Girl Talk COULD have been great. It had all the right elements -- interesting characters, an intriguing plot. But for whatever reason, people involved in the book's publication obviously didn't do their jobs as well as they should have.

First of all, and I know that...more
Sheila Judson
Aug 01, 2010 Sheila Judson rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sheila by: Bob B
A fast paced book about a truly disfunctional family. Lissy is the main character who finds herself pregnant after breaking up with her married boyfriend. As she tells her story she inevitably tells the story of her mother, whose life she is destined to repeat whether she wants to or not. The summer that never happened is about her mother's great love that did not become happily ever after and how she settled for a version of love. Lissy finds that her mothers story defines who she is and who he...more
Barbara
Local author from the Wilmington/Newark area.
Heather Leipart
I only gave this book 2 stars and yet I was interested enough to see it all the way through. Everytime I kept feeling like being done with it and just setting it down I found I could not. I had to keep reading. Honestly, there was nothing particularly interesting within the storyline. The thing that kept me reading was her writing style and word choice. That is what I enjoyed. She had a lot of neat little quips that make ya go, "hmm" if you know what I mean. Forgetable, but not an entire waste...more
Kristyn
This book reads like a writer learning how to write a novel, which it is. Ms. Baggott has written about how she tricked herself into writing this first novel of hers by telling herself it was just 50 pages. The second half of the book interested me more than the first--the 1960s, advertising, the idea of truth. I heard echoes of DeLillo, if not in style then in content. A decent attempt, but ultimately not what I'd expected.
Nenia Campbell
I feel like this book was written as the antithesis to happy-go-lucky chick-lit. You know, the adorably plucky but clueless heroines who end up finding the perfect man (after going through a slew of bad ones, of course)? The ones written by women with names like Sophia Kinsella or Marian Keyes and make you sigh, "Why can't I find a man like that?" I'm pretty sure the author was like, "LOL. NO" when she read those.

"FEMALES SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO MESS UP THEIR OWN LIVES! WE DON'T NEED MEN TO DO...more
Carol Luce
I loved this debut novel by a new, sharp literary talent. The characters couldn't have been more real. Quirky, likeable and downright fun to be with. I especially loved Lissy's mother and delighted in the adventure she takes her daughter on during the summer that never happened. A must read! I look forward to Ms. Baggott's other novels.
Lauren
I liked this book. It's one to read and probably not re-read ever again though. One of those books that are good for passing time, but every once in awhile has something that will strike you and you can relate to it. It's very easy to start to really feel for Lissy and the uprooting situations her mother continually places her in.
Melinda
A book about a girl who grows up to realize she is just like her mom. Except that her mom is boring and she is boring and I skimmed half the book because it was boring and I was tired of the F-bomb. Why did I continue reading? Because even when I hate a book I have to know how it ends.
Don't read it.
Catfish
This 1st person account by a 15 yo girl of "the summer that never happened" is lol funny and omg smart.

Lissy Jablonski's trip to understanding her parents is bleeding hilarious and oddly realistic. Points for hitting on Catholicism, sex and Woodstock.

Cried at the end. (not a crier)
Kari
Interesting! I like how it paralleled the mother and daughter's life, making the point that our parents have been through a lot of the same stuff when they were our age. My only complaint is that the whole thing is a little too Freudian, even though the heroine makes fun of herself for it.
Marian
I liked this book the first time I read it, and I liked it again the second time. I guess it's "chick lit," but to me, of the very best kind. Sort of like Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, which SEEMS like it's going to be all chick litty, and then ends up being really good.
Stephanie
There really isn't much to say about this book...it was just alright. It jumped around a lot between time periods which wasn't so much confusing but annoying. The story was alright but nothing really jumped out to make it great.
Rachel
May 31, 2012 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012, usa
I've really enjoyed this book. I do like coming of age stories and the flashbacks to America circa 1980s have been fun. I also agree with another reader who thinks the characters are 'deliciously dysfunctional'!
Brittany Seyb
I enjoyed Girl Talk, it was darker than I originally expected considering I bought it for it being a pink book. Ten years after reading it, various bits from the book pop up in my memory. That's a good thing!
Angela
I had a really hard time getting into this book and I waited and waited for it to get better or more interesting and it never did. I finished it, but there were quite a few times that I almost gave up on it.
Kathie M
Dec 13, 2007 Kathie M rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: hmmmm
I don't have a great memory of this book, but it was good enough that I finished it. It's interesting enough, but you don't really think much about it or the characters after it's done.
Laura Coffman
Good quick summer beach novel about a mother and daughter and how events of the past influence who you are and the choices you make in life.
Kristina
For some reason I dont remember anything about this book even though I just read it. I think I liked it, just not memorable.
Nicole Fox
Was a good read, but not one of my favorites. Would recommend to certain people in my reading circles.
Shannon
Just couldn't really get into this one... this girl talked and had too many issues... didn't finish it.
Christina
A book that is going into my "give away" pile. Definitely not a book I would want on my bookshelf.
Sandy Leal
Feb 28, 2011 Sandy Leal is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A little confusing at first, but starting to get into it. Will let you know how it is...
Lorene Haupt
Julianna's characters are deliciously dysfunctional. I love her stories!
Marianne
Started out pretty good but tapered off. Still a good easy read.
  • Hating Valentine's Day
  • Otherwise Engaged
  • Sleeping Over
  • Going Down
  • Apocalipstick
  • The Undoing of a Lady (The Brides of Fortune #3)
  • Happiness Sold Separately
  • Loose Screws
  • Circle of Grace
Connect with Julianna Baggott on Facebook:

Check out the new novel -- PURE

Also writes under the pen names N.E. Bode and Bridget Asher.

Critically acclaimed, bestselling author Julianna Baggott is the author of eighteen books, most notably her recent novel PURE, the first in a dystopian trilogy, a New York Times Book Review's Editor's Cho...more
More about Julianna Baggott...
Pure (Pure, #1) Fuse (Pure #2) Burn (Pure, #3) The Prince of Fenway Park The Miss America Family: A Novel

“Sometimes the only way to fix a mistake- is to make it twice.” 51 likes