Blank-133x176
Samuel Johnson: A Life

David Nokes

Samuel Johnson: A Life

2.81 of 5 stars 2.81  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A modern biography of Samuel Johnson that will serve as the definitive work on the legendary British man of letters

In this groundbreaking portrait of Samuel Johnson, David Nokes positions the great thinker in his rightful place as an active force in the Enlightenment, not a mere recorder or performer, and demonstrates how his interaction with life impacted his work. This i...more
Published October 27th 2009 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2008)

Alberta
Johnson doesn't come out as much of a person in this biography. It is more a he did this, then he went there, then he did that. One thing which did seem to come through is that Johnson didn't seem to take much effort in his work, and only to make money, because he did not have much...not the best image for a literary hero.
Julie Ellis
Johnson was a very interesting character, but I didn't find this to be an interesting bio. I don't feel that the author ever decided what he wanted to say. I also don't feel that Johnson the person ever really came through.
Ken
Joyless bio. One would never know of Johnsons great wit, nor of his acheivements which are consistently underplayed. Rarely have I been more disappointed in a book.
Rachael Singh
Nokes has turned biography into literary criticism (yawn) and singularly failed to bring Johnson to life. I'm crushed with disappointment, I really am.
Lorraine
this has got a bad rep -- because I think it cannot be read without a good knowledge of the 18th C. but as one gets into it it gets increasingly interesting.
Idiosyncratic
Somehow Nokes manages to make Johnson just sound weird and even dull.
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Clare Shepherd
Clare Shepherd marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Bianca
Bianca added it
Oct 11, 2013
itnorris
itnorris is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2013
D
D added it
Jul 28, 2013
Violet
Violet marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2013
Shawnee
Shawnee marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Steve
Steve added it
Dec 14, 2012
Goodreads Librari...: Please help to combine this edition with others :) 3 23 Jul 09, 2012 10:47AM
Jane Austen: A Life Jonathan Swift, a Hypocrite Reversed: A Critical Biography John Gay: A Profession of Friendship The Nightingale Papers Raillery And Rage: A Study Of Eighteenth Century Satire