Luck: What It Means and Why It Matters

Luck: What It Means and Why It Matters

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
To what extent do we control our own destiny? Can those who have risen to the top really say it was all down to them? Is lucky success somehow less deserving?

Watch Ed Smith talk about Luck

Published June 5th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA (first published March 29th 2012)

Nick
May 27, 2013 Nick added it

I have this habit of picking up and reading any book that has the word "random" "chance" or "luck" in the title. I even searched a library catalogue for chance once and discovered Paul Auster's works.

This book was on the new book shelf at the local library so I borrowed it. And I have read it in 3 days. Which is quite surprising as I nearly gave up on it when there were too many cricketing anecdotes at the start.

Anyway I am glad that I perservered - though I did skip a couple more cricketing bit...more
Nick Hayhoe
Cricket is the greatest sport in the world and (somewhat passively, admittedly) this book might be one of the reasons why. I mean, can you imagine John Terry or Ashley Cole writing a book on the philosophical discussions surrounding the concept of luck and fortune? No. Neither can I?

Ed Smith was lucky at first. A natural talent nurtured in a private school which he says had the best pitch he ever played on bar Lords. Then it all went wrong after a freak injury where he began to reassess his life...more
Tyler Jones
Luck is a straight-forward look into a rather murky subject. I like books like this that take a subject I think I have a fairly good grasp on, show me that some of my thinking is wonky, and leave me feeling I'm thinking a lot more clearly. Smith manages to clearly delineate the difference between what we mean by words such as luck, chance and probability, and I hope I can remember the differences as it is quite important to be able to accept the responsibility when you are to blame, but to let i...more
Saadaab
"You make your own luck" is the most bollocks phrase of all time.
Greg Linster
This book is essentially a series of short essays about a variety of topics that are all unified under the theme of luck. Ed Smith was lucky enough to be a professional cricket player before his writing career blossomed. What's refreshing is that he's one of the few successful people who's not afraid to admit that luck, at least partially, got him to where he is today.
Achal Shah
quite an amazing piece of work by Ed. Its got a whole new prospective to luck and how it plays a major role in any given life. Ed too brings in his personal experiences about his life, readily showing his success and failures.
Chris Urban
Quick, light-hearted and personal take on a pseduo-autobiography from a footballer. Overcoming injuries, personal persistence and a bit of...
Hammad Ahmed
Hammad Ahmed marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ng
Ng added it
Jul 09, 2014
Sandeep Nayak
Sandeep Nayak marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Tommy
Tommy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Brian Lawlor
Brian Lawlor marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Thanh Van
Thanh Van marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Rohit Sudarshan
Rohit Sudarshan marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Paul
Paul added it
Apr 07, 2014
Subeer Tungare
Subeer Tungare is currently reading it
May 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
What Sport Tells Us About Life: Bradman's Average, Zidane's Kiss And Other Sporting Lessons. Ed Smith On And Off The Field From the Ashes of My Dreams Therapeutic Herb Manual: The Therapeutic Administration of Medicinal Herb Compounds A Spoonful of Sugar