Start by marking “The Breast Cancer Survival Manual: A Step-by-Step Guide for the Woman with Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The updated edition of the essential resource for the 250,000 women diagnosed with breast cancer each year

Breast cancer is the leading cause of death in women from thirty-five to fifty-four years of age, and few things are as terrifying and confusing as a diagnosis of this disease. The fifth edition of The Breast Cancer Survival Manual is a concise, information-packed guid
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 224 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Holt Paperbacks (first published June 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Breast Cancer Survival Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Breast Cancer Survival Manual

Ana
Jul 07, 2015 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He uses medical jargons to a minimal making the book easy to read and very informative. He also presents it in a step by step plan of action format which follows the process of being diagnosed to making all the relevant decisions concerning the procedure and treatment. I feel very empowered and equipped to discuss with my doctors now that I understand the many nuances of navigating breast cancer. It helped me immensely. Thanks Dr. Link!
Beverly Diehl
May 16, 2015 Beverly Diehl rated it it was amazing
This is a book nobody WANTS to have to read, but it presents much of the information we need to know, when dealing with a new diagnosis of this beastie. I found the section on interpreting the pathology report especially helpful, but all of it is helpful in understanding the terminology and techniques that doctors will use in talking about breast cancer, and written in an easy-for-a-layperson-to-understand style.
Grace Dadoyan
May 20, 2012 Grace Dadoyan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book outlining most of the basic questions that arise after initial diagnosis. Book explains how stage is determined. I read the 2nd edition and will be reading the 4th edition to see if there are changes in the chapters on chemo and tamoxifen. Nottingham Grade scale was not mentioned - perhaps that was developed after this edition and will be in the 4th ed. Will update review at that time.
Ok just finished the 4th edition. Nottingham Grade is covered but it's referred to as Bloom Richardson
Jas
Jun 09, 2011 Jas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a newly diagnosed breast cancer patient, my doctor, who happens to be the author, gave this to my family and me. It helped immensely. It gives an exceptional explanation of what to expect and advice for the unexpected. It was particularly helpful for my parents and greatly put their minds at ease through the months of treatment and recovery. John Link will forever be a part of me. I highly recommend his books for anyone who is, or knows someone who is, battling this silent killer.
Marty
Nov 13, 2013 Marty rated it it was amazing
Should have gotten this the day i got my diagnosis instead of flailing around on the web. I'd have asked smarter questions.
PWRL
Apr 05, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Jennifer Bass
Jennifer Bass rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Pat Sharkey
Pat Sharkey rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Annalisa Atienza
Annalisa Atienza marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Barbara Shore
Barbara Shore rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Marie Deremiah
Marie Deremiah rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2015
Mariah Cherem
Mariah Cherem is currently reading it
Nov 15, 2015
Sharon Callen
Sharon Callen rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2015
David Gerhard
David Gerhard rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
Ravyn
Ravyn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
ايمن الحصادي
ايمن الحصادي marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Audrey
Audrey rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2015
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Abra Leonard
Abra Leonard marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Maso.Mousavi
Maso.Mousavi marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2015
Kimberlee
Kimberlee rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
May 22, 2015
Nouf Majed
Nouf Majed marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Kristine (fezabel)
Kristine (fezabel) rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2015
Nayla
Nayla rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Karen Lindquist
Karen Lindquist rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Shan White
Shan White marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014