The Formula for Murder (Nellie Bly #3)

The Formula for Murder (Nellie Bly #3)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  84 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The world’s most famous reporter, the intrepid Nellie Bly, hunts down a murderer in Carol McCleary’s The Formula for Murder.

History, mystery, murder, and mad science accompany plucky Victorian newspaper reporter Nellie Bly when she travels to the haunted moors of England to investigate the mysterious death of another journalist.

Refusing to believe the young writer committe...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Forge Books

Neil Campbell
This has been my first series that I have to read as soon as possible. Nellie's adventures rank up there with many of my favorite action/adventure heroes. Add to the mix the mystery and historical references and I have my favorite genre now headed by a heroine. The only problem I have is that these stories essentially take place out of the states, yet Nellie is a New York reporter. But the books mention that Nellie actually wrote books concerning her time undercover as a prostitute in the States...more
Red Ferry
Another rollicking mystery following the fictional sleuthing of girl reporter Nellie Bly. This time Nellie teams up with HG Wells and Arthur Conan Doyle for a dangerous adventure that takes her from London, Bath and finally the murky moors of Dartmoor (the setting for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic "The Hound of the Baskervilles") Fans of Ms. McCleary's two previous Nellie Bly. mysteries will not be disappointed!
Kim McGee
Whoa Nellie! I have always been fascinated by the real Nellie Bly and Carol McCleary's depiction of her and other very famous people like H.G. Wells, Oscar Wilde and Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle cannot be touched.
Once again Nellie is off on a journalistic adventure off to London to investigate the murder of her friend who supposedly killed herself while investigating a story about ladies spas. Nellie knows the young woman would not have killed herself and begins to uncover a horrific plot to kidnap y...more
Nicola
Just didn't work for me. The novel was okay but (aptly) it did feel too formulaic as it managed to cram in historical figures including Oscar Wilde, H.G. Wells, and Arthur Conan Doyle. It also didn't entirely manage to avoid the trap of inserting travelogue/ into character dialogue which always feels unnaturally stiff and a break to narrative flow to me.

Elaine Pease
Discovered McCleary and now I'm on her third history mystery "The Illusion of Murder," p.217 (and what does it mean if I look at the clock after checking what pg. I'm on and it's 2:17??).
The Formula for Murder follows reporter Nellie Bly (and I love this real life character thrust into these murders, without it being a stretch) and other real life characters like Jules Verne (love interest) etc. and a Jack the Ripper type. It's eye candy for the Victorian mystery starved reader.
Jodi
Not great, but I just love the historical characters so much that it's totally worth it.
Peggy
Loved that Oscar Wilde was back, and the addition of Arthur Conan Doyle and H. G. Wells as new compatriots for the intrepid Nellie B! Could have done without (or at least much less)inner monologue from Nellie about sex, should she, shouldn't she, blah blah blah.
Mary
A great story with a strong supporting cast. Well paced with lots of surprising twists and turns. The only negative is that the end seemed a bit rushed but still provided a satisfying conclusion. Looking forward to the next Nellie Bly mystery. Highly recommended.
Wen Cameron
Nov 09, 2012 Wen Cameron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wen by: no one, I just noticed it at the library.
I enjoyed The Formula for Murder very much. A great story with a lot of twists and turns. First book I,ve read of Carol McCleary can't wait to read more.
Lauren
A fun, engaging mystery based on real-life historical figures like Nellie Bly, Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells and Oscar Wilde.
Sharon
Aug 30, 2012 Sharon added it
I enjoy this series alot & have to go back & catch up on the few that I missed at the beginning!!
Linda
I didn't like it as much as the second one.
Diane
British who-dun-it. Decent read.
Stacy
Stacy marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Eryn Wilson
Eryn Wilson marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Nlillrose
Nlillrose marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Debbie Carnes
Debbie Carnes marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Marian
Marian marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Tiara
Tiara marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014
Carol McCleary was born in Seoul, Korea and lived in Hong Kong, Japan and the Philippines before settling in the USA. She now lives on Cape Cod in an antique house that is haunted by ghosts.
More about Carol McCleary...
The Alchemy of Murder (Nellie Bly, #1) The Illusion of Murder (Nellie Bly, #2) No Job for a Lady