Start by marking “The Formula for Murder (Nellie Bly #3)” as Want to Read:
The Formula for Murder (Nellie Bly #3)

The Formula for Murder (Nellie Bly #3)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The world's most famous reporter, the intrepid Nellie Bly, hunts down a murderer in Carol McCleary's The Formula for Murder.

History, mystery, murder, and mad science accompany plucky Victorian newspaper reporter Nellie Bly when she travels to the haunted moors of England to investigate the mysterious death of another journalist.

Refusing to believe the young writer committe
Published July 17th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Formula for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Formula for Murder

Neil Campbell
This has been my first series that I have to read as soon as possible. Nellie's adventures rank up there with many of my favorite action/adventure heroes. Add to the mix the mystery and historical references and I have my favorite genre now headed by a heroine. The only problem I have is that these stories essentially take place out of the states, yet Nellie is a New York reporter. But the books mention that Nellie actually wrote books concerning her time undercover as a prostitute in the States ...more
Red Ferry
Another rollicking mystery following the fictional sleuthing of girl reporter Nellie Bly. This time Nellie teams up with HG Wells and Arthur Conan Doyle for a dangerous adventure that takes her from London, Bath and finally the murky moors of Dartmoor (the setting for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's classic "The Hound of the Baskervilles") Fans of Ms. McCleary's two previous Nellie Bly. mysteries will not be disappointed!
- Quite disappointing, as I thought the premise sounded really good and the book started off seemingly very well-written, but then went downhill after that.
- All of the foils and ploys and "plot twists" just seemed a bit cartoonish and the dialogue was really not well-written and unnatural.
- And although I adore literary figures: Oscar Wilde, Sir Conan Doyle and H.G. Wells, I found it a bit outlandish that Nellie would actually encounter and/or know any one of them! I don't know if this was a hi
Kim McGee
Whoa Nellie! I have always been fascinated by the real Nellie Bly and Carol McCleary's depiction of her and other very famous people like H.G. Wells, Oscar Wilde and Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle cannot be touched.
Once again Nellie is off on a journalistic adventure off to London to investigate the murder of her friend who supposedly killed herself while investigating a story about ladies spas. Nellie knows the young woman would not have killed herself and begins to uncover a horrific plot to kidnap y
Just didn't work for me. The novel was okay but (aptly) it did feel too formulaic as it managed to cram in historical figures including Oscar Wilde, H.G. Wells, and Arthur Conan Doyle. It also didn't entirely manage to avoid the trap of inserting travelogue/ into character dialogue which always feels unnaturally stiff and a break to narrative flow to me.

Margaret1358 Joyce
The novelty of 1st-person narrative related by 19th century newspaperwoman Nellie Bly is captivating, as is the setting ( London, Bath and the Dartmoor Moors), the interwoven history, and the well-plotted unfolding of 'murder most foul.' In all, an entertaining read, however emotionally cool as a consequence of the victorian language.
Erin H.
I liked the depictions of historical characters and how well they were integrated into this fictional story, but the ending was kind of predictable and tired. The build up was wonderful but the resolve was completely what I expected.
Nellie Bly is at it again and I really enjoy the over table dialogue with Oscar, Conan and HG. This was a great pace, good story line and I liked the characters....cause they are based on real people.
I liked how the book was based on real people, like Nellie Bly, H.G. Wells, Oscar Wilde, and Arthur Conan Doyle. It made the plot more interesting to me.
Elaine Pease
Discovered McCleary and now I'm on her third history mystery "The Illusion of Murder," p.217 (and what does it mean if I look at the clock after checking what pg. I'm on and it's 2:17??).
The Formula for Murder follows reporter Nellie Bly (and I love this real life character thrust into these murders, without it being a stretch) and other real life characters like Jules Verne (love interest) etc. and a Jack the Ripper type. It's eye candy for the Victorian mystery starved reader.
Not great, but I just love the historical characters so much that it's totally worth it.
Loved that Oscar Wilde was back, and the addition of Arthur Conan Doyle and H. G. Wells as new compatriots for the intrepid Nellie B! Could have done without (or at least much less)inner monologue from Nellie about sex, should she, shouldn't she, blah blah blah.
A great story with a strong supporting cast. Well paced with lots of surprising twists and turns. The only negative is that the end seemed a bit rushed but still provided a satisfying conclusion. Looking forward to the next Nellie Bly mystery. Highly recommended.
Wen Cameron
Nov 09, 2012 Wen Cameron rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Wen by: no one, I just noticed it at the library.
I enjoyed The Formula for Murder very much. A great story with a lot of twists and turns. First book I,ve read of Carol McCleary can't wait to read more.
A fun, engaging mystery based on real-life historical figures like Nellie Bly, Arthur Conan Doyle, H.G. Wells and Oscar Wilde.
It was fun reading about a tuff young female reporter meeting Mr O Wilde, Mr HG Wells and even Mr Arthur C D.
Aug 30, 2012 Sharon added it
I enjoy this series alot & have to go back & catch up on the few that I missed at the beginning!!
I didn't like it as much as the second one.
British who-dun-it. Decent read.
Jenn Blunstone
Jenn Blunstone marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Judy marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Jess marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Madeline Friedman
Madeline Friedman marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Jennifer Terrell
Jennifer Terrell marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
  • A Shrine of Murders (Kathryn Swinbrooke, #1)
  • Recipe for Treason (A Lady Arianna Regency Mystery, #3)
  • The Palace Tiger (Joe Sandilands, #4)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Thief Taker
  • A Virtuous Death (Lady of Ashes, #3)
  • Oscar Wilde and the Vatican Murders (The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries #5)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • The Emperor's Assassin: Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner
  • A Gentleman of Fortune (A Dido Kent Mystery #2)
  • Midnight Fires (Mary Wollstonecraft, #1)
  • Le Talisman de la Villette (Victor Legris, #6)
  • The Burning Bride (Hannah Trevor Trilogy, #3)
  • The Gilded Shroud (A Lady Fan Mystery #1)
  • Secrets of a Lady
  • Hangman Blind (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #1)
  • The Lady Flirts with Death: A Simon & Elizabeth Mystery (Simon & Elizabeth, #3)
Carol McCleary was born in Seoul, Korea and lived in Hong Kong, Japan and the Philippines before settling in the USA. She now lives on Cape Cod in an antique house that is haunted by ghosts.
More about Carol McCleary...

Nellie Bly (4 books)
  • The Alchemy of Murder (Nellie Bly, #1)
  • The Illusion of Murder (Nellie Bly, #2)
  • No Job for a Lady