Start by marking “Cat in a White Tie and Tails (Midnight Louie #24)” as Want to Read:
Cat in a White Tie and Tails (Midnight Louie #24)

Cat in a White Tie and Tails (Midnight Louie #24)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
In Carole Nelson Douglas' Cat in a White Tie and Tails, Midnight Louie goes along as chaperone when PR whiz Temple Barr and her fiance, rising media star Matt Devine, head to Chicago so she can meet his family. Matt's mother has a tragic past primed to rise and bite anybody in reach, even the ex-alley cat sleuth. When Louie is snatched, the catnapping's surprising motive l ...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about Cat in a White Tie and Tails, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat in a White Tie and Tails

The Cat Who Could Read Backwards by Lilian Jackson BraunMurder Past Due by Miranda JamesThe Cat Who Played Brahms by Lilian Jackson BraunWish You Were Here by Rita Mae BrownThe Cat Who Knew Shakespeare by Lilian Jackson Braun
Cozy Cat Mystery Books
28th out of 100 books — 48 voters
Dewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussOld Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T.S. EliotAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollThe Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Great "Cat" Books
392nd out of 1,046 books — 599 voters

More lists with this book...

Carmen
Aug 20, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
I've always liked the Midnight Louie series. The "cat point of view" sections did not disappoint. I love how the whole tribe protects Temple, Matt, and Max.
The human themes have gotten old. All this raising old characters "from the dead". I suppose Garry Randolph will be resurrected next. I am beyond bored with the whole "Kitty the Cutter" being alive, after she was killed a few books ago.
It appears to me the author has gotten too lazy to create "new villians". I do enjoy the parts with Max an
Joanna Wood
Oct 04, 2012 Joanna Wood rated it it was ok
Not my favorite of the series. I'll keep reading through the end of the series since I've come this far, but I'm a little tired of the style of writing and how the characters all talk the same. I really had to make myself finish this one.
Sallee
Feb 16, 2013 Sallee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I have been a longterm friend of Carole Nelson Douglas's Midnight Louie series. The latest in the series, this one has Matt Devine's mother finally taken the step and marries the brother of Matt's biological father. Max is investigating old murders and the Synth (at least in Vegas) comes to an end. It also looks like Kathleen, his old nemesis is back on the scene. It was also with sorrow that I heard that Carole's Midnight Louie Jr. has crossed the rainbow bridge at the age of 15. This book sets ...more
Clay Stafford
I picked up Carole Nelson Douglas’s “Cat in a White Tie and Tails” and we immediately set off on a new feline adventure. With the first line, I thought I was reading something from Michael Connelly or Dashiell Hammett, but – in this case – the protagonist is a cat! Call it a hard-boiled kitty cozy. Fans of the series will love this continued adventure. It is a back-and-forth between the action of the people in the story and the points-of-view of the cats with many twists and turns. Throughout, t ...more
Rebecca Mulligan
Heading Toward the End

Well, we're up to W. The Midnight Louie series by Carol Nelson Douglas is finally beginning to wrap up. This is a series which is best read in order, rather than coming into it cold. The plots are so intricate it is difficult to understand what is going on unless you have the background down pat. Nonetheless, for Midnight Louie fans this is a wonderful book. As always, each character has its own linguistic style which takes a little getting used to. The interplay between Mi
Janet
Aug 17, 2012 Janet added it
Shelves: failed-attempts
I am sad to report I will no longer be continuing on in this series. It's gotten so convoluted that I'd probably have to re-read the last couple of books to remember what all happened. And I don't have the time or inclination. Made it to page 205 and realized I was utterly bored. So disappointed.
Msgypsy
Jul 13, 2013 Msgypsy rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Love it, love it, love it. But am I the only one still rooting for Max? And are Three O'Clock and Ma Barker ever going to reconcile? So many questions! I can hardly wait for the next book!
Charty
Sep 05, 2012 Charty rated it liked it
Sigh. Corny, cheesy, the mystery a huge mess that I can't remember what's going on from book to book (nor do I really care). I've come this far, I'm in til the bitter end.
Sandi
Jun 22, 2014 Sandi rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Midnight Louie lovers only
Shelves: suspense
No mystery, nothing happened in the story. Most of the action and plot actually regressed. Temple is turning into a little Barbie girl, doing nothing and losing her observation skills, her spunk and charm. Matt is someone and somewhere else most of the time, and he sure got over the Catholic angst quick (and then has the nerve to agonize over his mother's marital decisions). Max has definitely lost a step but at least that is explained by his previous accident and amnesia. Now if only there was ...more
Kat Lebo
Sep 13, 2012 Kat Lebo rated it it was amazing
I love this series. The series is now 25 books long, with at least 3 "alphabetical" titles to go -- and who knows where it will go from there. Actually, the series is 29 books long if you count the 4 romance novels featuring Louie that predate this mystery series. There is also an anthology called "Midnight Louie's Pet Detectives," full of furry short story fun.

So, if you're a reader of the series, you know that Midnight Louie is a cat and that the novels are full of not only human characters (
Mary Kovarik
Apr 08, 2014 Mary Kovarik rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful read. I think Midnight Louie, the primary protagonist, is sassy with street smarts. He has a so-called daughter whom he won't acknowledge who looks just like him and who is called Midnight Louise. Together they solve mysteries. For a cat lover and a lover of mysteries, this is HEAVEN!
Becky
Oct 18, 2015 Becky rated it really liked it
Another Midnight Louie mystery! I like these - I'm attached to the characters, especially Louie and Louise, but the plots have gotten so convoluted that I'm a little lost. You cannot start in the middle with this series.
Ellen
Sep 09, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it
Out of all the "cat" mystery series I read, I really think Midnight Louie is my favorite. Been reading these books since the beginning and have enjoyed every one.
This latest outing has Louie catnapped in Chicago, far from his Las Vegas haunts. How things go on from there is great time. Just say Louie wins the day and the plot webs that have been running throughout all of the books are finally starting to come to a conclusion. Can't wait for the next installment.
As the new partner of a Midnigh
Cheryl
Oct 24, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
With just a few more books left in the series, I'm not sure how she's going to tie up all the loose ends, but I can't wait to find out how she does it!

Another great romp with Louie, Louise, Three O'Clock and Ma Barker's gang. The ongoing mystery continues, but this one felt more about the characters and not the mystery, as there wasn't really a central crime to solve. But I enjoyed the characters just trying to figure out how to get themselves out of the messes they've gotten into. As always, wa
Donna Rowe
Mar 28, 2015 Donna Rowe rated it it was ok
Shelves: cat-cozies
It seemed a little more rambling than her other books in the series. I had trouble staying focused while reading it. It had an interesting cliffhanger involving Matt at the end.
Amanda
Jan 10, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-mystery
Ricki
Oct 03, 2012 Ricki rated it really liked it
I have read all of the Midnight Louie books, and I will admit I love all of them so far!Don't have a favorite...each new one fits the bill! What I can say is that the ending of this one left me hanging on the edge of my seat for the next book to come out. What a cliff hanging ending Carole Nelson Douglas has written to this one. It's going to be a painful wait to see how this turn of events turns out. I will hate to see this series end when she gets to Z!
Myra
Dec 13, 2013 Myra rated it liked it
A very reluctant 3 stars, only because I guess the book did give us some important info on the overall story line of this whole series. But it was boring and scattered and had no real, discreet mystery specific to this book on its own. Too many voices talking. Disappointing. (But since this is only the 2nd of the books in this whole series that has disappointed me, I shouldn't be too upset, right?)
Charlene
Aug 30, 2012 Charlene rated it liked it
I've read the entire series and I'm ready for temple to marry. This is daytime drama in print -- who's really dead, what other skeletons lurk in the lives of the characters and those they love, will the main characters ever find love, and what despised / loved character will return from the dead ...
Laura Beth
They say don't judge a book by it's cover. Well, I did. I thought it was an adorable cover and I love cats. So I grabbed it. Couldn't get into it after the intro and first chapter. Just not my cup of tea. I THINK it's trying to be old school PI/mystery, etc. With a talking cat as a hook.
Kathy
Feb 04, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Not my favorite of the series. It seemed a little disjointed and rambled more than a little. Story is still progressing nicely, though, and I find more and more I'm reading these for the characters, who are all still themselves.

All in all, a nice little Midnight Louie romp.
Susan R
Sep 18, 2012 Susan R rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Somehow this one did not hold my interest as much as previous books in the series.....maybe because I was having trouble remembering all the past murders that were mentioned and played a part in the story. Will still read the next one to see if there is finally a wedding!
Kathleen Huben
Sep 04, 2012 Kathleen Huben rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I've read the whole series and find I read it more for the ongoing characters then for the "mysteries". I imagine it would be a very difficult book to follow if you haven't been following the series, even though the author provides a synopsis in the first chapter.
Roy Weiler
Nov 06, 2014 Roy Weiler rated it it was amazing
Midnight Louie comes through again. Another wonderful story from Carole Nelson Douglas.
Susan Lundy
Mar 23, 2013 Susan Lundy rated it liked it
I am getting more befuddled with Temple's private life with every book. This book was about as interesting as the other 24 Midnight Louie books...but her "Tailpiece" on other matters answered many questions about Louie...so that was good to get to!
Trisha
Aug 25, 2012 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did enjoy this. I've discovered I'm no longer as thrilled with all the jumping around between the various points of view although I do enjoy the cat's points of view. Ready for the conclusion of the series.
Sharon
Mar 05, 2013 Sharon rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This installment was another nice addition to this cozy series. I love Louie's "voice." His noir speech and turns of phrases never fail to make me smile. Recommended to cozy readers and cat lovers.
Joanne
Jan 15, 2013 Joanne rated it really liked it
Another soapy romp with Louie and the human triangle of Temple, Matt, and Max. More twists and turns of romantic lives, and enough wisecracks to keep things purring along. Fun.
Annie
Aug 30, 2012 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great as always, but didn't have the "zing" most of the others in the series have. Not sure why...otherwise I would have given it 4 stars. Will keep reading until the end....
Sue
Oct 15, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
A fun read, but come on, it's time for Matt and Temple to get married. Yes, from the title, you think the do...wrong! Louie has a lot of chutzpah, though!
Madison Mega-Mara...: #44 - Cat in a White Tie and Tails 2 3 Jul 22, 2013 11:17AM
  • Sneaky Pie for President (Mrs. Murphy #21)
  • Cat Pay the Devil (Joe Grey, #12)
  • Catnapped (Klepto Cat Mystery #1)
  • Get Fluffy (Pampered Pets Mystery #2)
  • A Hiss-tory of Magic (A Wonder Cats Mystery, #1)
  • Keeping Baby Safe (Colby Agency, #13)
  • Oodles of Poodles (Pet Rescue Mystery #4)
  • Karma's A Bitch (A Pet Psychic Mystery, #1)
  • Confection Connection (Mina Kitchen, #3)
Carole Nelson Douglas is the author of sixty-two award-winning novels in contemporary and historical mystery/suspense and romance, high and urban fantasy and science fiction genres. She is best known for two popular mystery series, the Irene Adler historical suspense novels and the 28-book Midnight Louie contemporary mystery series. Delilah Street, PI (Paranormal Investigator), headlines Carole's ...more
More about Carole Nelson Douglas...

Midnight Louie (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Catnap (Midnight Louie, #1)
  • Pussyfoot (Midnight Louie, #2)
  • Cat on a Blue Monday (Midnight Louie, #3)
  • Cat in a Crimson Haze (Midnight Louie, #4)
  • Cat in a Diamond Dazzle (Midnight Louie, #5)
  • Cat with an Emerald Eye (Midnight Louie, #6)
  • Cat in a Flamingo Fedora (Midnight Louie, #7)
  • Cat in a Golden Garland (Midnight Louie, #8)
  • Cat on a Hyacinth Hunt (Midnight Louie, #9)
  • Cat in an Indigo Mood (Midnight Louie, #10)