Start by marking “Awesome Autumn” as Want to Read:
Awesome Autumn

Awesome Autumn

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Autumn is awesome! Leaves change color. Animals fly south or get ready to hibernate. People harvest crops and dress up as scary creatures for Halloween. And then there are pickup football games to play, Thanksgiving foods to eat, leaf piles to jump in—all the amazing things that happen as the air turns crisp and cool.

With colorful photographs, lively explanations, and cla
Published August 7th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Awesome Autumn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awesome Autumn

Amy
I've got to admit...I could really grow to love Autumn if I didn't have to experience winter around the corner. I find very little to like about winter....especially after December 31, but Bruce Goldstone does such an excellent job of celebrating autumn, a winter-hater might have to change her mind. This book belongs in my library collection. The real life photographs capture the beauty of autumn. Students learn things about autumn that they have always wondered about but could never put to word ...more
Lindsey
I thought Awesome Autumn could work for any age in elementary school. The book was all photographs with a fun, colorful font which gave the basic information of the book on each page. Below that, there was a more specific paragraph about the topic on that page. This went into detail about the science behind fall or the facts about trees or animals in fall. With the younger children I would read the colorful part of the book and then paraphrase the facts with them in an open discussion. Ask them ...more
Roberta Gibson
Awesome Autumn: All Kinds of Fall Facts and Fun by photographer Bruce Goldstone is a wonderful celebration of fall through all the senses.

As you can see from the cover, Goldstone’s beautiful photography celebrates the vibrant color of fall leaves. He also has pages about how autumn feels, how autumn tastes, how it sounds and although he doesn’t have a page for it, you definitely get an idea of the smells of autumn as well, from decaying leaves to Thanksgiving dinner. He also points out some aut
Corin
Genre: Informational
This non-fiction picture books is cram-packed with very concrete illustraions that show how the seasons change from summer to fall.
Themes: attributes, change, constant (second grade vocabulary)
Way to use the book: This book would enhance grades K-2 in a science read-aloud. Pages to focus on should be pre-marked as there is quite a lot of information in this book.
Ms Threlkeld
This book far exceeded my expectations. It explains natural processes, like leaves changing color, in simple terms, and encourages the reader to make personal connections to autumn. I even learned some cool information that I don't remember covering in high school science class. This is a must for every elementary library collection.
Brittany
This is a very good book to help aid in teaching information about Autumn. This is a non fiction book that can be described to the class as informational texts, so they know that everything in in is based on real life. This book provides so much useful information about fall, and this book also has wonderful realistic photography to help make real life connections to the information. I would use this text to help aid in teaching seasons. The book has a lot of descriptive texts for example, sound ...more
Bonnie
Simple facts & colorful photos about Autumn.
Karen
This is another nominee for the Cybils nonfiction picture book category this year. I've been waiting for it forever, but now that I've read it, I see why other teachers or students have been reading it since it got to our school library. The illustrations are colorful and full of the bright fall foilage color scheme - such a visual delight. And I have to admit, I learned some interesting facts while reading it. I would say it's geared to a younger audience, but it is definitely a book many grade ...more
Buxmont Uu
Nov 02, 2014 Buxmont Uu added it
Shelves: bcfl, cc
CC 7
Megan Wismer
Audience: K-3
Genre: Non Fiction
Twin Text: Fall is Not Easy by Marty Kelley
While Awesome Autumn explains many things about autumn from migration, to harvest, to why tree's leaves turn colors, Fall is Not Easy is a fiction book from the perspective of a tree. The tree has a hard time getting his leaves colors just right no matter what he tries. It is a cute book that plays with the idea of changing leaves and weaves it into a story.

Paula
This homage to autumn is filled with an eclectic assortment of facts, illustrations, trivia and activities related to the season. There is something here for everyone: information about plant and animal activity in the fall, sports, food, weather and celebrations. Manageable text is punctuated by phenomenal photographs and collages with sensory appeal. The title is a browser’s delight. It is a wonderful resource for teachers and parents and is a must for any library.
Michelle
This book is definitely geared more toward elementary-age children, but I think I can use it for my two year olds. There are headings in each section that sum up the content of the paragraph(s) below it. I can read those to the kids and that should suffice. I think they will also love the many colorful photos; we can talk about the colors, varieties, etc. There are even a few activities you can do for fall in the back, with instructions.
Angie
Love the colorful photographs. And the collection of information about the season.

Only the kids that "study" seasons? The little ones? They couldn't read this. And it skips around too much in topic to really read aloud. :/

Still like it, though. Next time ... maybe separate it into a couple smaller books ? Or do the "5 senses" for all of the seasons. Or "shapes." Or "animals."
Karen Arendt
A good book for facts about autumn, but also about the five senses and hibernation. In the book, along with excellent, colorful photographs of the season, the author discusses how autumn tastes, feels and sounds. Also talks about animals that hibernate, those that don't and those that migrate. Includes some fun autumn activities. An excellent choice for schools.
Alice
I think I am in a good mood today because I have rated 3 books as 5 today..I think I might be coming down with a cold. ANYWAYS! I love fall and I love this book. The pictures are fantastic, the information is wonderful and simple, and it has inspired me to do a leaf rubbing. This is a fun way to talk about Fall with out it being boring and factual! Thumbs up!
A beautiful compilation of photographs all about autumn. Facts about the season, science, holidays, sports and American life make this a rich and interesting book. Teachers will want to pick and choose which parts to use in class. Recommended for elementary school collections; best for grades 1 and 2.
Genny Flett
Love this book! The entire book talks about the different things that happen in autumn. It talks about the leaves changing, the holidays in autumn, the smells and tastes of autumn, and much more.

Great book to use for fall/seasons. Also a good informational text with descriptive illustrations.
The Library Lady
A terrific example of non-fiction that can be used picture book style. The photos are clear, colorful and well laid out. With older children you would be likely to read more of the text, with younger children you could read the headers and then discuss the pictures. Terrific.
Wendy Garland
Beautiful illustrations and I love the way the book plays on the senses, but it's unclear to me as to who the intended audience is. At times the concepts are directed to a very young age group while at others the concepts are directed to an older audience.
Kayla
Beautiful and informative. I was surprised that even my kindergartener sat through this one because it's fairly long, but the photos and illustrations are really engaging and the facts are interesting. I learned a few new things, myself!
Vicki
Awesome photos and ideas for the fall. Used this for preschool storytime and it was a bit long even though I just read the captions. Perhaps would work better for an older group.
Paula
he author compiles all kinds of sights, sounds, and scents of the autumn season. short headings that could be used for toddlers with longer explanations for the preschoolers
Jennifer Kaap
Awesome photographs and interesting facts! I bought multiples of this for the library! I love autumn, and I hope Mr. Goldstone makes books on the other seasons.
Sharon Lawler
Photographs accentuated with art lead the young child on a romp through the changes of autumn. Definitely lives up to the cover's statement, "Fall Facts and Fun!"
Margie
This is one of the best, most colorful and informative books on this season; perfect in every way.

For the full review follow this link.
Samantha
Great seasonal title! Covers EVERYTHING about fall: holidays, weather, clothing, animals, food, plants etc. Highly recommended for PreK-2 classroom use.
Annie Pasma
This was a really great book. Good for elementary teachers who need a book to talk about fall. Pictures are beautiful. Recommend for ages 7 to 12.
Dana
This is my new favorite autumn book this year. Perfect for celebrating my favorite season and for nonfiction teaching/learning.
Linda
This book has some great facts, great photos, and great activities to do with Autumn. I'd probably buy it if my kids were young.
Kimberly Huff
The perfect fall book for kids elementary age (5-10). Lot's of learning and keeps them interested.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bruce Goldstone is the author of several books, including 100 Ways to Celebrate 100 Days, Great Estimations, Greater Estimations and The Beastly Feast. He has worked in educational publishing for nearly twenty years. Growing up in Ohio, Bruce fell in love with reading and the magic of words, and even back then he knew he wanted to be a writer. Books have always been an important part of his life, ...more
More about Bruce Goldstone...
That's a Possibility!: A Book About What Might Happen Great Estimations The Beastly Feast 100 Ways to Celebrate 100 Days Greater Estimations