Start by marking “The Cryptos Conundrum” as Want to Read:
The Cryptos Conundrum

The Cryptos Conundrum

2.53 of 5 stars 2.53  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Former CIA undercover operative Chase Brandon takes us deep into the mystery of Cryptos, a work of art containing a seemingly uncrackable code, in The Cryptos Conundrum.

A fifteen-foot-tall steel sculpture stands in the courtyard of the Central Intelligence Agency, emblazoned with a message that no one can decipher. The three-inch-high letters on the sculpture form a coded
Hardcover, First Edition, 416 pages
Published June 19th 2012 by Tom Doherty Associates/Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The Cryptos Conundrum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cryptos Conundrum

Katy
Aug 22, 2013 Katy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who enjoy intricate, but inaccurate, cross-genre sf/f thrillers
Recommended to Katy by: Amazon Vine
Book Info: Genre: Cross-Genre: Science-Fiction/Fantasy Conspiracy Thriller Reading Level: Adult

My Thoughts: I’ve had a bit of bad luck lately with books, and despite my earlier enthusiasm for this book, I went into it with more than a little trepidation, worried I’d find another book with characters that I either couldn’t connect with (and therefore put me to sleep), or perhaps were Too Stupid To Live.

Well, there were no real problems with the characters, other than the fact that the story was
Slmcmahon
A friend of mine once said, "Life is too short to read a book you are not enjoying". I shoulda quit while I was ahead, but the promise of the synopsis kept me going.

The Cryptos Conundrum could be the weirdest, most disjointed book I have ever read. I confess to skiping a couple of chapters towards the end, and feel I missed nothing of the story. The author, Chase Brandon, is a former CIA operative. The book has been vetted by the CIA to ensure that no official secrets are revealed to the incred
Karmen
Reading what previews I could, before picking this book to read, I thought I would have a fascinating look into the CIA and the work it took for a man to decode a piece of sculpture in front of the CIA headquarters. Then I started reading the book and soon was wondering if this was fantasy, science fiction, future history (as Robert Heinlein wrote), suspense, religious allegory, or a brief history of the USA. I guess it was a mixture of them all which is rather difficult to do in one book and I ...more
Scott Skipper
Jonathan Chalmers fell on his head at age four. The resulting brain injury turned him into a savant who could read fifty pages per minute in multiple texts and instantly recognize complicated mathematical patterns. In 1918 he is inexplicably rescued, wounded, from the trenches of Verdun by a group of quasi-spiritual, quasi-extraterrestrial beings who make him whole and instill his brain with some arcane cosmic knowledge. This experience apparently also retards the aging process. As a result of h ...more
Trike
This is written by a former CIA employee. There is a disclaimer at the beginning that reads, "This material has been reviewed by the CIA to prevent disclosure of classified information." According to the jacket description, it's about the (real) mysterious sculpture that sits in the CIA's headquarters which has mysterious writing on it no one has been able to decrypt.

All of this sounds intriguing.

It's not.

That blurb at the front should've read, "This has been reviewed by the CIA and determined y
Don
Sorry, I could not get into this novel. The first few chapters where the location was the trenches of France in the first world war did make the story interesting, BUT when it dived off into the supranational beings trying to 'teach' the main character about life mysteries of existence and got to be too much spoiling what started out being a good beginning. Stopped reading at 60 pages (which is not usually my reading habit as I try to give every novel the benefit of the doubt and will try to fin ...more
Bob Sipes
This book is not what I expected; however, it is an expansive look at the origins, purpose, and future of humanity itself. The final climactic epilogue mirrors thoughts I have expressed only to very close friends. The book covers nearly 100 years of history in an exciting, grand, expansive view from a single, long-lived protagonist who caught a glimpse of something outside of this world during World War I that provided him purpose for the rest of his life. This book will not be what you expect, ...more
Tony
Having worked with a group of cryptologists to decrypt the real Kryptos sculpture, I picked up this book when it caught my eye. The description promised a "factional" book that delved into the Kryptos sculpture and the hidden messages that it contained. However, the book was some weird combination of SciFi, history, and adventure that didn't meld well. Even little things - like the names for the deity-like overseers of worlds, were clumsy variants of numbers ("Won", "Tha'ree", "Fiva", etc).

I wou
Lise McManus
i only enter giveaways for books i actually want to read. having won this book i truly wanted it to be fabulous so my review would reflect my appreciation for this gift. but it was way above my pay grade! i struggled to get thru it because it read more like a homework assignment rather than an engaging novel. there were moments when i wanted to get back to reading this book but they were very limited. finished it only because i felt it was my obligation "in the spirit of the giveaway".
Jim Stennett
Ahh...huh. Hum. At a loss for words here. What a bizarre book. Makes you think, I'll say that for it. Probably about four completely different books wrapped into one. I give the author credit for some really unique ideas, but, wow, this is pretty far out stuff. Can't say I'd recommend it, but it is a challenge. Whoa.
Ben Hauser
Not bad, not great, but given that the author is ex-CIA and one of the themes of the book is how the protagonist has encouraged government, at times, to hide things in plain sight...it makes me wonder how close to the mark some of the fiction in this book actually is.
Lawrence Gertig
I was very disappointed with this book as it seems to lose itself in an orgy of an otherworld overview. While this is not a bad thing, the writing style is not engaging enough to make you want take the book somewhere and read it from start to finish
Dan Felsenheld
The book jacket did not describe the plot accurately. I thought it was groping to be a spy thriller but it was a sci if novel instead, and a dopey one at that. Glad I didn't buy this book and only picked it up at the library.
Rennie
Pretty good sci-fi although somewhat drawn out. Ex CIA writer who leveraged real events to help pace the story. Roswell, multiple alien races and conspiracy theory all in one -what's not to like if you like the genre at all.
Charles
I didn't finish it. This is possibly the worst book I've ever started. I finish what I start but I see no point in following that tradition. I'm not going to rate it either. I don't know if that effects the average. I hope so.
Michael
Well that was without a doubt the weirdest book I've read in a while. It was all over the place. CIA, Aliens, nuclear war, god... Pretty cool though. It made sense toward the end. I will check out other books by CB.
Jakenv
Most interesting and clever attempt to solve the puzzle. Anyone who enjoys puzzles will find themselves involved. Kept me going for hours. Writer has clear style.
Brad Mellon
Something of a clumsy read but a very imaginative concept. Worth the time to read but could not stop thinking what Heinlen could have done with this !
Terry
I think I am being generous giving 2 stars. The book jacket does not in any way represent the contents of this book.
Maybe it is a code manual.
Ken
Could not passmy 75 page test. If a book does not hook me by that time I drop it. Story line just did not hang together well.
Ken Kroenke
Good read. Very imaginative concept of the higher power concept and the destructive nature of humanity
Paul
Solid 2.5 stars I can't praise anything specific about it and I didn't hate anything about it..
Justin
Literally the worst book I ever tried to read. Couldn't get past page 54. Awful.
Reid Nichols
There are no words.... I will be thinking about this book for a long time.
Jeff Tate
Never really could get into it. It had promise, but never really took off. Eh.
Peter
A horrible slog through time with an entirely unrelatable main character.
Yz
May 04, 2012 Yz is currently reading it
Shelves: first-reads
Definitely will read and review.
Bill
Interesting idea, hard to get through.
Frances Littell
Frances Littell marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Mac
Mac marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Victory at Yorktown (Revolutionary War, #3)
  • Ernie: The Autobiography
  • Awkward: A Survival Guide for When All You Can Do Is Cringe
  • DemoCRIPS and ReBLOODlicans: No More Gangs in Government
  • Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields: Discovering America's Hallowed Ground
  • The Sky Conducting
  • The Lisbon Crossing (Jack Teller, #2)
  • Awakening the Brain: The Neuropsychology of Grace
  • Daughter of God
  • Mortuary Confidential: Undertakers Spill the Dirt

“People can't learn if things don't change. Mysteries. Challenges. Even threats. All of them are opportunities to learn, which is one of life's greatest joys, if not its main purpose.” 4 likes