Basic: Surviving Boot Camp and Basic Training

Basic: Surviving Boot Camp and Basic Training

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  9 reviews
There is absolutely nothing in the American experience comparable to basic training or boot camp. If you haven’t been through it, you can’t understand it.

But if you’ve been through it, you never forget it.

No matter where they live, all American fighting men and women have one thing in common: They have survived basic military training. They’ve crawled through the swamps o...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books

Robert Joseph
This book is a well organized college tion of submitted stories of a variety of people's experiences during BMT. It seems that very few go through basic training without at least one or two stories. The greatest surprise for me was that Homer Hickham (author of October Sky and a native West Virginian) submitted a few stories. While it doesn't necessarily prepare you for Basic training, it absolutely gives an insight into the world of the military ethos. Well worth the read if you're retired, act...more
Kate
I read this because I was hoping it would give me motivation to go to the gym. It didn't, but I found it surprisingly entertaining anyway. For a book about the grueling weeks of training that are supposed to turn you into a 'killing machine,' it's a breezy read. The anecdotes, from recruits throughout the decades, are perfectly bite-sized, often funny, and nicely organized by subject into short chapters. No one seems particularly bitter, which I find suspicious, of course.
Marie
Great book. Brought back great and not so great memories of basic training. I enjoyed learning about the different branches of the service and how they conduct their recruit training. If you have been through basic this will make you laugh if you haven't joined yet it gives you a good idea of what to expect when you report for duty! I highly recommend this book!!!
David
Colonel Jacobs rates an "outstanding" for this lively, anecdotal look at basic military training in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps. As a "survivor" of Parris Island, I can vouch for the accuracy about of his commentary on USMC training.

Recommended for all, especially those younguns who anticipate entering the armed forces anytime soon.
Patricia
Meh. I lost faith in the author when I ran into a major misstatement before I got to chapter 3. (Females are NOT only at Ft Leonard Wood for Army basic training). Otherwise, the anecdotes are amusing but the writing is pretty awful. I assume his other book is much better - it had to have been, as mediocre as this one ended up being.
Darren Sapp
A must read for those that survived boot camp regardless of branch of service. I laughed out loud several times at the antics and awkwardness that comes with boot camp. Jacobs includes several first-hand accounts spanning seventy years of basic training.
Kim
Collection of stories from those who have gone thru Basic Training. Some are funny, some are surprising, every single one actually happened. lol
Hans
Fun read. Mostly just a collection of people's thoughts and stories on Basic Training since WWII. Nothing specific about it.
PWRL
Apr 04, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Nate Miller
Nate Miller marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Grant Tillotson
Grant Tillotson marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Scott Ross
Scott Ross marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Colin Chisek
Colin Chisek marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2013
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Quinten Carlson
Quinten Carlson marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Erin Oakley
Erin Oakley marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
There is more than one author with this name on Goodreads.
More about Jack Jacobs...
If Not Now, When? Duty and Sacrifice in America's Time of Need Films of Norma Shearer Bundist Counterculture in Interwar Poland Kat in de stad Hond op wacht