Start by marking “Sparky and Me: My Friendship with Sparky Anderson and the Lessons He Shared About Baseball and Life” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  54 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
In the tradition of Tuesdays With Morrie, Dan Ewald pens a memoir of his friendship with legendary Tigers manager Sparky Anderson, the man who taught him not only the nuances of baseball, but the importance of life's unwritten rules.

Few sports figures, regardless of their position, have generated as much good will as Sparky Anderson, the legendary manager for the Cincinnat
Published May 8th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sparky and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparky and Me

Several months ago, I picked up this book at a local bookstore, keenly curious about its content.

As an avid Major League Baseball follower and a lifelong Detroit Tigers fan, Sparky Anderson was a man that I had long respected for his contributions to the game. (As a 10-year old, I first saw him on TV during the 1975 World Series, in which he managed the "Big Red Machine", the Cincinnati Reds, to the world championship. I was impressed by the way he carried himself. Sparky was solid. Four years
Mar 24, 2014 Meagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always held a special place in my heart for Sparky Anderson ever since he answered a letter I wrote him as a kid with a signed baseball card. After reading this book, I shouldn't be surprised that he took the time to send a signed card to a little girl in Wisconsin who was born the year his Tigers won the World Series. This book was a complete joy to read. I laughed and I cried. If everyone in the world lived life with half the integrity that Sparky Anderson did, the world would be a much b ...more
Nov 03, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an outstanding book about an outstanding man written by someone who knows the true meaning of friendship!

As someone who grew up watching Sparky manage the Reds, it was interesting to see how much he loved and respected not only the game, but everyone who had an affect on the game. From the vendors to the players to the owners, Sparky showed with his actions how people should be treated and how the game should be developed.

Ewald lets the reader into his relationship with Sparky and shows us
Feb 08, 2016 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, sports
I was one of the lucky Good reads first reads winner of this book. It was an ARC book.Sparky and Me. My friendship with Sparky Anderson and the lessons he shared about Baseball and Life. by Daniel Ewald. I am from Michigan and have been to a few Detroit Tigers games over the years. so i was interested in reading about Sparky Anderson. Glad I got the chance to read this book. Daniel Ewald wrote a nice touching book about Sparky Anderson and what a giving down to earth man he was. George "Sparky" ...more
May 08, 2012 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Haven't received my copy yet, just received notice I had won. So excited, Love baseball and all that is related to it. 5/8/12
Received my copy last night and hope to start soon. Have 9 others plus my current read in front. 5/18/12
Started today 6/28/12
Finished 7/4/12

Sparky (George) Anderson was the manager of the Cincinati Reds and the Detroit Tigers. His friend and manager Dan Ewald has already written several books with Sparky but this one was written after he passed. In it Dan brings to light t
Apr 07, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: baseball lovers, fans of the Detroit Tigers
Recommended to Mike by: found at random
As a fan of baseball in general, I enjoy books about former players and coaches, most of whom talk of their days involved in the game and some of the nuances of the game way back when.

This book on Sparky Anderson is not only about Sparky Anderson the manager who led the Cincinnati Reds and Detroit Tigers through 3 World Series Championships, but also Sparky (George) Anderson, the person, who did more for the goodwill of baseball and whose lessons will hopefully be never forgotten on how to live
Erik Deckers
Jul 23, 2014 Erik Deckers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was always a Sparky Anderson fan when he was the Cincinnati Reds manager, but lost track of him when he went to the Tigers, and I stopped paying attention to baseball. This shows me how much I missed by not being more observant.

After reading this, I added Sparky to my list of kind, gentle men I aspire to be. The only other man on the list was Mister Rogers. So now I have two to emulate.

I also love Dan Ewald's writing style. He has a flair for language and using it to spin some great yarns.
Jun 17, 2012 Ursula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
As a baseball fan I was so happy to have won this book as a first read! Advice from people that have led a remarkable life always gets my attention. Sparky Anderson acted in ways we wish more people did. It reminds us once again how important it is to do the right thing, treat others with kindness and respect no matter what position we have in life.
Donna Jean
This felt like a hero-worship project. As a first-read it was difficult for me to get through because the stories all seemed to virtually make the same point. I discovered I prefer to read more about the action of the game as well as learn more about the character of the various players. It was too slow paced for my enjoyment.
Aug 06, 2014 Dave rated it really liked it
Growing up as a Pittsburgh Pirates fan, I hated anything to do with the Big Red Machine. The stories in this book changed my perception of Sparky Anderson. His ideas and beliefs should be shared with all professional athletes. I would recommend this book to even the casual sports fan.
Apr 26, 2012 Gail marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I would love to win this book so i coulod give it to my husband for an anniversary gift in June. He would love to have this book!
Marcie Raulston
May 24, 2012 Marcie Raulston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
every good story about ones life events, read in 2 days and i found it hard to put down
Michael Webb
Preachy. Whiny. A baseball book with no baseball in it. Not recommended.
May 29, 2012 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jul 01, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book about a great man.
May 08, 2012 Yz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will read and review.
Tyler Williams
Tyler Williams is currently reading it
Oct 14, 2016
Marion Failing
Marion Failing rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2016
Abby Moon
Abby Moon marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Ginny rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Travis Pecolatto
Travis Pecolatto marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Dan Compora
Dan Compora rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2016
Kenneth rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2016
SamT added it
Apr 11, 2016
Megan added it
Jan 20, 2016
Csiegel marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Maddelyn rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Riley Cooper
Riley Cooper rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2016