Start by marking “King George: What Was His Problem?: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American Revolution” as Want to Read:

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  351 ratings  ·  109 reviews
KING GEORGE NEVER DID UNDERSTAND AMERICANS

"Entire books have been written about the causes of the American Revolution. This isn't one of them." What it is, instead, is utterly interesting, antedotes (John Hancock fixates on salmon), from the inside out (at the Battle of Eutaw Springs, hundreds of soldiers plunged into battle "naked as they were born") close-up narrative fi
Published July 7th 2009 by Flash Point (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about King George, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King George

Barb Middleton
Steve Sheinkin has evolved into such a brilliant writer of narrative nonfiction that when I read his earlier books I'm a bit let down because I am expecting more fictional elements. Which isn't really fair of me as a reader. Even his straightforward nonfiction texts are well-done and interesting. I just don't gobble them up like I have his most recent books. After reading "Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales" graphic novel series, this book helped fill in the blanks as to the timeline of famous people ...more
Hands down, this is the best -and funniest!- book about the American Revolution I have ever read. It's aimed at kids, but it never talks down to them. You would be hard pressed to find an adult who doesn't learn something from this book. The writing is simple, clear and concise.

The author is a text book writer who got tired of having to leave all the funny and really interesting historical bits out of the text books, so he decided to write a book with all those bits left in!

I love the way this b
Becky
Sheinkin, Steve. 2008. King George What Was His Problem: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the American Revolution.

Enjoyable. That is what King George What Was His Problem is. Enjoyable. Fun. Interesting. Informative. Entertaining. Everything a textbook isn't in most cases. The tone of this one is conversational. (Almost reminiscent of Kathleen Krull in my opinion.)

Product description from the publisher's site:
KING GEORGE NEVER DID UNDERSTAND AMERICANS

“Entire books have been writ
Betsy
Children are taught history. They turn into teenagers and find out that much of what they learned was prettified or their textbooks left out huge chunks of morally ambiguous grey matter. They go to college (some of them) and view with extreme skepticism any history, knowing as they do now that every historical text was written by someone with an agenda. And then sometimes, once in a great while, they return to the historical moments they learned about in their youth and try to figure out, really ...more
katsok
I received my Bachelor's degree in History, specifically American History concentrated around the Civil War. And while I love history, it is not usually something kids enjoy reading. I think they would love this book. Sheinkin is entertaining as he weaves his way through the American Revolution. I love that he didn't gloss over some of the parts where we look bad. I enjoyed the omniscient narrator giving me tidbits throughout the book. Thank you go Jeff Anderson for recommending this one.
Elizabeth
A fun way to learn history. This book focuses on the American Revolution and I enjoyed reading it aloud with my daughter. I learned a lot that I didn't get while in school.
Dolly
This is the kind of book I wished I had discovered when I was growing up and learning about the American Revolution. The textbooks and history I read was so laden with dates, facts and uninteresting details, that I just didn't grasp the weight of the dramatic and tenuously fortunate events that helped us win our independence.

This book does a wonderful job of telling fascinating and pivotal stories while still following the chronology of war events. I am amazed at Steve Sheinkin's research and h
Jonathan
Being someone who absolutely loves history I can easily become bias about my reviews, however the reason this book is so amazing is because even the most reluctant history reader would enjoy this witty and sarcastic take on the revolution. I've read probably a half dozen 600 page (I'll be honest, dry) books on the American revolution and although they are packed full of information, this book did not sell me short. I felt like it confirmed everything I had read before in a much more humorous lig ...more
Patrick
Another fabulous quick history from Sheinkin. It's extremely informative and clever and well-written. You get an overall view in an easy read and it really helps see the threads, causes, and connections of the whole Revolutionary War. It's not an attack book, but it's balanced, showing the self-interested, violent side of the revolution as well as the noble, philosophical side.

Adults will love and benefit from this. I think this will appeal to Young Adult readers as well as anything o the topic
Andrea Lepe
King George was an okay book because i have read better books. If this book was a series I would not continue reading it because it was not right for me. In my opinion the author was a little boring because i have read better books about the past. This book helped me understand the American Revolution better than before. One of the srengthsof this book is that the patriots won many fights but there were smaller battles. One of the weaknesses is really sad because a lot of soldiers were wounded o ...more
Joe Holman
The best middle school history book I ever read. It is fun, easy reading, and historically accurate. Itr is written in a style that will appeal to today's kids. Every parent who wants their child to understand the American Revolution should have them read this book.

The only drawback in the book is that I wish it would have covered the war in the Southern Colonies more in depth. Nathaniel Greene and the "Over the mountain boys" did much more than "fight, lose, fight again" and the book should men
Joan
Sep 01, 2012 Joan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: American history lovers
Lots of fun to read! You can see from this book where he decided to do a whole book on Benedict Arnold. Very informative too!
Margaret
4/26/13 ** My new favorite author of history. Thanks Steve Sheinkin for leaving the "evil side" (author of text books), and joining the family of children's lit.

This very interesting book about the overall arc of the American Revolution, with an emphasis on George Washington was fascinating. I am reasonably well-read in U.S. history and have read many historical fiction books set in various parts of the Revolution, but by page 11 I'd already learned 3 new things.**

One of the things I most apprec
Beth
Sometimes I feel a little sheepish telling people I majored in history because I feel like I'm going to be expected to know things I don't. One such gaping hole in my knowledge that I hope I don't get asked about: the Revolutionary War. Sure, I knew "taxation without representation" and that George Washington was a general. I've seen National Treasure enough times to know "one if by land, two if by sea" (even if I don't know why). If hard-pressed, I'd probably correctly place the battles of Bunk ...more
Josiah-f Friesen
“King George, what was his problem?” is a book about the American revolution but it has information in it that textbooks might not. It includes information and dialogue of the stupider things that the famous people did. It tells the stories of the battles and heroes of the American revolution and how they fought against the French. It summarizes a lot because it took place over the course of several years, but it gave me a lot of information that I didn't know before. At first the Americans wer ...more
Samantha
I picked up this book thinking that it would be like the Horrible Histories series, but for American history instead. It's not. It's worse. It's disjointed. I felt that the writing style was really choppy. There is a foreword where the author says that he was a former textbook author and there were all these stories that he had to leave out. Well, I felt like he took those stories, put them in chronological order, and BAM! We have this book. I stopped reading shortly after Sheinkin starts discus ...more
Kim
Steve Sheinkin makes history come alive. In his story, heroes are not always heroic. Sam Adams was a slob. John Adams was a bore. Benjamin Franklin like to party with the French. Learning how this bunch of disgruntled Americans were able to pull off one of the greatest revolutions the world has ever seen is amazing. It makes the beginning of our country much more interesting than any text book.

I highly recommend this funny and yet still accurate story how King George lost one of his colony to a
Celestia
I loved this book! I read McCullough's 1776 book a few summers ago. That was hard reading. If I had read this book first my mind would have been in a much better place to understand 1776. I'm no dummy when it comes to history, I passed the AP American history test in high school, but I was taught history the conveyor belt way, of learn dates and names, regurgitate on a test for credit, then forget most of it. This is the way to learn history, by learning the stories of the humans involved. Thes ...more
Rose Park
Like the author, I've found that storytelling is an incredibly effective and enjoyable way to teach history. Kids remember and internalize the lessons of stories.
The author has found a plethora of Revolutionary era stories that I can't wait to share with my fourth graders. I borrowed this book from the library but I'll be purchasing my own copy ASAP.
My own mind map of the Revolution was enriched by this treasury. I read this way past my bedtime last night!
Shersta
In a letter addressed to his readers, author Steven Shienkin (a former textbook writer) promises to deliver the odd and quirky stuff that never makes it into the history books. From his step-by-step guide to starting a revolution to generals behaving badly, Sheinkin lives up to that promise, and does so in a lively and engaging tone that made this book an entertaining as well as educational read. I highly recommend this as a solid middle-grade nonfiction read.
Marilyn
This was an interesting YA book about the Revolutionary War that I think my students will enjoy. The author has found interesting quotes from various people involved in the war that give it a fun, humorous twist while relating important facts about the Revolutionary War in an interesting way for youth. I think any 6th-grader interested in learning more about the war would enjoy it.
Stephanie
Holy smokes. I picked up this book at the library because we are studying the Revolutionary War and I thought the title was funny. Started it last night while Jason was watching Star Trek reruns, and found various ways to keep obsessively reading it all day today. I was even scheming how I could possibly hold the book and stir dinner at the same time. Thankfully, I finished it before then.

I don't know why all history stories can't be written exactly like this. It was laugh out loud funny at poin
Pamela
This is aimed at the late elementary age but as an adult I enjoyed reading this too. Well-researched with tantalizing nuggets that really helps you get the revolutionary war. I recommend this to anyone who thinks the war a boring collection of facts they had to memorize. Here is the story of the adventure of starting a nation.
Becca Kirkman
This is book is interesting stories of the beginning of the American Revolution. I was hoping it would be the whole Revolution, but it was just the beginning, and a couple of the battles. I think students would enjoy some of the stories.
This book was ok, but there are other books that I have enjoyed more.
Michele
I think this man is brilliant and I am becoming a huge fan of his. Repenting of being a text book writer, he makes history come alive and he also makes you smile. A great primer and review of the Revolutionary War. If you missed, "Bomb" go and read it. An amazingly well done book.
babyhippoface
Aug 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 5th & 8th Grade Social Studies teachers or students
History is not my thing, so understand that when you view those 5 stars.

For years Steve Sheinkin has written history textbooks. In his research he has come across some great stories that are not often told, but the textbook companies have never allowed him to include those nuggets in their books. Sheinkin finally decided to take all those stories and write his own book. And that's all you get--interesting tidbits, stories, and quotes that help the reader view those involved in the Revolution as
Amie
Written as a narrative, this was the most enjoyable history "text" I've ever read. It is funny, full of information, easy to read, and relatable. I couldn't stop telling people around me about this book!
Jonna VanWienen
Loved this interesting book for filling me in on all the things our boring Social Studies book doesn't tell us about history. A great read aloud and Skype opportunity for my students. I'm a fan.
Marcia
A quick and easy to understand book about history---looks like he does other books on history too. I might have to check them out! Kids would love these compared to boring textbooks!
Sidney
Mar 20, 2014 Sidney is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at Anna's book fair with Rhys in mind. It's very engaging! I find non- fiction for younger readers really disappointing usually. This is a nice surprise.
  • Independent Dames: What You Never Knew About the Women and Girls of the American Revolution
  • Lincoln Tells a Joke: How Laughter Saved the President (and the Country)
  • Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
  • Henry and the Cannons: An Extraordinary True Story of the American Revolution
  • Invincible Microbe: Tuberculosis and the Never-Ending Search for a Cure
  • Peter the Great
  • Eruption! Volcanoes and the Science of Saving Lives
  • Becoming Ben Franklin: How a Candle-Maker's Son Helped Light the Flame of Liberty
  • Why'd They Wear That?: Fashion as the Mirror of History
  • George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War
  • Who Was Paul Revere?
  • To Dare Mighty Things: The Life of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Coral Reefs
  • Traitor: the Case of Benedict Arnold
  • Miss Moore Thought Otherwise: How Anne Carroll Moore Created Libraries for Children
  • Frog Song
  • Snakes
  • Almost Astronauts: 13 Women Who Dared to Dream
Bomb: The Race to Build—and Steal—the World's Most Dangerous Weapon Lincoln's Grave Robbers The Port Chicago 50: Disaster, Mutiny, and the Fight for Civil Rights The Notorious Benedict Arnold: A True Story of Adventure, Heroism & Treachery Two Miserable Presidents: Everything Your Schoolbooks Didn't Tell You About the Civil War

“He left behind several failed careers, two failed marriages, and a reputation as a clever but fairly annoying fellow.” 0 likes