Start by marking “And Then Life Happens: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
And Then Life Happens: A Memoir

And Then Life Happens: A Memoir

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A moving account by Auma Obama about her life in Africaand Europe, and her relationship with her brother, Barack Obama.

While her younger brother Barack grew up in the U.S. and Indonesia, Auma Obama’s childhood played out at the other end of the world in a remote village in Kenya, the birthplace of the siblings’ shared father. Barack and Auma met for the first time in the 1
Published April 24th 2012 by St. Martin's Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about And Then Life Happens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then Life Happens

Terri
Auma Obama seems like a very nice person, and is very modest about her life as part of the complicated, multi-nationality, Obama family. But to be honest, this book might have been a better nice, long, Sunday magazine article or 60 Minutes special rather than a whole book.
Fatima Almehri
The cover of the book says it all, it's Auma's memoir, it started to describe her life in Kenya with her family and then it moved to the next chapter of her life when she traveled to Germany after she got a scholarship to complete her studies in a German University.
The book is good,it was written in German and translated to English, I love how simple the translation is. although the book isn't boring but i didn't feel motivated to finish it.
Fadzai
Having read Barack Obama's 'Dreams from my father', I wanted to know about and compare his sister's upbringing to his, in order to understand her as an individual and more generally the events that impact who we end up becoming.

Her story is simply and honestly told, and at some points I found myself wondering what her relationships are like now with some of the people that she 'names and shames' in the book!

Nandi Crawford
I found this an interesting read. not because of the fact that she's the POTUS sister, but that she has had an interesting life. It is sad that the father made her leave her mother where she was loved and nurtured at to go be with Obama Sr and his third wife Ruth, who did try to love the children but it was hard for her to and preferred her kids more than them. so selfish.
Vered
Go on a journey that starts in the villages of Kenya, includes its capital Nairobi, flits over to Germany, the UK, the US and then back home to Africa. Through her story, Auma Obama, sister to President Barak Obama, insights into Kenyan culture and recent history, the life of the Diaspora and the Obama family. A compelling read and definitely worth reading.
Stephanie M.g.
Inspiring and educational story about a woman with a strong sense of pride in her cultural identity as a Kenyan and defining her place in a powerful family. She tells her coming of age story beautifully, while giving a glimpse of her relationship with her "little brother" Barack. Loved reading about Luo culture.
Peggy Jeffcoat
This is an outstanding book by Barack Obama's half-sister. It focuses on her life, growing up in Kenya, then moving to Germany, England, and finally back to her homeland. It, of course, touches on her relationship with her brother, but that is really only a small part of the book.
Munira
Interesting story .. About an interesting woman
At first i thought i will read a book about barak obama mainly but i was wrong .. I read a story about a simple but yet great and inspiring woman .. Loved the detailed description of emotions, events, places.. In a simple language
Joanne
Feb 26, 2015 Joanne added it
Can't put it down - she writes with such clarity and detail from her childhood. Quite interesting to read about her and our now president, Barack Obama, relationship as it develops from their first meeting as young adults.
Michaela
It was interesting and certainly a life far different than mine. She comes across a little selfish but who doesn't in an autobiography. Interesting insight into the family dynamics of President Obama.
Anika
Not sure why but the book just didn't grap me at all. I found it boring and nothing really got interesting until the end when she finally meets Barack.
Nancy
Great read about our President's sister in Kenya, her experience getting caught between cultures, in Europe and the USA, an amazing journey for sure.
Frodo
I enjoyed reading about President Obama's older sister, how she grew up, her family and her thoughts about Barack.
Sherie
She is a very interesting woman but if you want to read about President Obama you should choose another book.
Mary Wilding
Jul 08, 2012 Mary Wilding is currently reading it
I love this book, but due to time constraints, I will finish it at another time.
Marsha
Not terribly well written, but interesting enough.
Wendie
Oct 29, 2014 Wendie added it
Didn't get very far into book. Lost interest.
Jessica Bruggink
This was a really interesting book!
Cynthia Sillitoe
Well done and an interesting read.
Kendra
Jan 26, 2013 Kendra added it
Beautiful!
Malynda Zimek
Malynda Zimek marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Loisa
Loisa added it
Apr 07, 2015
Sarah Hoggatt
Sarah Hoggatt marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Mawuli Adzaku
Mawuli Adzaku marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Barbara Asamoah
Barbara Asamoah marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership
  • Never Make the Same Mistake Twice: Lessons on Love and Life Learned the Hard Way
  • Andrew Johnson (The American Presidents, #17)
  • On Her Own Ground: The Life and Times of Madam C.J. Walker
  • My First Coup d'Etat: And Other True Stories from the Lost Decades of Africa
  • Our Black Year: One Family's Quest to Buy Black in America's Racially Divided Economy
  • Eye on the Struggle: Ethel Payne, the First Lady of the Black Press
  • I'm not leaving.
  • Color Blind: A Memoir
  • The Dreaming Suburb (The Avenue, #1)
  • Standing at Armageddon: The United States, 1877-1919
  • The Godfather Of Soul: An Autobiography
  • Step Out on Nothing: How Faith and Family Helped Me Conquer Life's Challenges
  • City Farmer: Adventures in Urban Food Growing
  • Glow: The Autobiography of Rick James
  • Unbreak My Heart
  • The Big Fight: My Life In and Out of the Ring
  • The Vineyard We Knew—A Recollection of Summers on Martha's Vineyard
Auma Obama was born in Kenya in 1960, right after the country gained its independence. She grew up first with her mother and paternal grandparents, and later with Barack Obama Sr. and her American stepmother. She now lives and works in Nairobi for CARE International, an organization specializing in worldwide humanitarian work.
More about Auma Obama...