Start by marking “Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?: A Parent's Guide To Raising Multiracial Children” as Want to Read:

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  21 reviews
"Am I black or white or am I American?" "Why don't my eyes look like yours?" "Why do people always call attention to my 'different' hair?" Helping a child understand his mixed racial background can be daunting, especially when, whether out of honest appreciation or mean-spiritedness, peers and strangers alike perceive his features to be "other."Drawing on psychological res ...more
Published June 18th 2003 by Da Capo Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?

Jessica
I learned a lot from this book, but as a prospective adoptive parent, I did skip over large sections that seemed to pertain only to families created through parents having multiracial children by birth. For that group, I'm sure it is an even better resource. Much of the book does transfer over to multiracial adoptive families though.

Early in the book the author goes through multiple age ranges and how children of those particular ages understand and conceptualize race. This will be helpful as o
Abigail
This book is written by a white woman who's married to a Japanese-American man and has two biracial children. She uses some of her own experience raising her children, as well lots of stories and ideas from other parents and children, to talk about what parents can do to raise their multicultural or transracially adopted children to become confident and competent adults. It's a very thoughtfully written book, as well as well-researched, as shown through the personal testimonies that appear all t ...more
Rick
This book was incredibly revealing about the possible future of a multiracial child that we might adopt might have -- the cruel questions in the supermarket as toddlers, the cruel racism of the teenage years, the unforgiving questions of the 5-8 years from peers and teachers. We will be prepared and train ourselves for creating a strong sense of multiracial identity with our child -- like chocolate ice cream and vanilla -- mixed together, but sooooo much more complicated.
Lynn
I had high hopes for this book, but the suggestions are really obvious and can be summarized as "communicate with your kids." This book also seems very focused on issues that parents face in very homogenous areas. I live in a fairly diverse city, but imagine we will still face issues and was hoping this book would help us prepare for some of them. The topic is a good one, but the content seriously misses the mark.
Crystal
I would recommend this book. As the parent of multiracial children, I saw a lot of my familiy's experiences in it.
Bob Bellamy
Poorly edited to the point of distraction. She gives too many qualifiers on people she introduced and utilized throughout the book. I guess the author thinks you can't remember a few names. Sometimes this is helpful if they have not been mentioned for a while but seriously, she gives the same information about an author two pages later. It is too much.

The information seems fine but as I read elsewhere, this is a Caucasian mother writing about raising her multiethnic children. Also, it is somewha
Stephanie
book jacket description -

"The author, a freelance writer, is from a western European background, while her husband is Japanese American. Although Nakazawa initially hoped to raise her son and daughter to be "color blind," they couldn't ignore the many comments made by both adults and children concerning Christian and Claire's appearance. When Christian was a toddler he was asked if he spoke Chinese, and the author was assured that little Claire didn't "even look Asian." Nakazawa decided to deve
Cathleen
A decent book for parents that have experienced growing up in the majority who have a child that may be in the minority. It does touch on struggles that may be specific to multiracial children, but much of the discussion could apply to any minority child. Growing up in Asian in a nearly all white community, I could relate a lot to the anecdotes provided by interviewees. There are some good suggestions on how to deal with inevitable questions from kids and their peers, how to teach your child to ...more
Kirei
This book is geared to parents of kids who are multi-racial or parents of kids who are transracially adopted, but it is good reading for anyone who is interested in race issues.

My only complaint was that the author stresses the importance of family and telling your child "family is forever", but doesn't give advice if one doesn't have a good family setting for the child, which I think is important in this age when divorce is common.
Jenny
In a world where the once-rigid lines of race are becoming (thankfully) more blurred, Donna does a great job addressing this question. What is it about human nature that desires to fit other in "nice, neat compartments" so we can feel secure about ourselves? This is a book for anyone who does not fit into a nice, neat compartment...and also for anyone who desires to know a multiracial's experience.
Allison
Finished the first chapter and am getting a lot out of it. Nicely integrates anecdotes from Nakazawa's interviewees and psychology/ child development research. Makes a good case for why love isn't all you need when raising a multiracial child... No discussion of implicit race bias yet.
Jessica
This is a good book if you are raising a multiracial child. It gives you some things to think about before the awkward situations come. My daughter is only 8 months old, but we've already gotten the questions of "Oh, is she adopted?". "No, she's my daughter. Stop being nosy!".
Pghgranola
written by a parent raising Hapa children, so she can honestly appreciate the complexity of such a situation.

one of the few books, that i have found, that approaches the subject in terms of preschoolers. most other books tackle the issue with grade-school ages & up.

K Anderson
This book was interesting to read from a teachers perspective. Interesting book, but this is definitely written as white parents guide to raising multiracial kids. I read it for a book club and multiracial parents in the group had the same feeling.
Christy
I found this book to be useful for me from a professional perspective and a parental perspective. Lots of anecdotal information and useful suggestions for parents to promote positive racial/ethnic socialization in their children.
Terri
Sent to us by our agency while we waited to go get our daughter. Gave some good insight - and zingers - to use on friendly and not so friendly stranger observations of our family.
Heidi
Practical advice for parents, not just another scholarly look at race and identity. Had to have it for my personal collection.
Jen Chau
some good points...but overall, horrible advice for parents of mixed kids. DO NOT use as a resource!
Valerie
every parent should read this--whether the parent of bi-racial kids or not! : -)
Celeste Ng
research, but not surprisingly, also relevant to my life.
Joan
Joan added it
Dec 19, 2014
NileReader
NileReader marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Varalyn Kaiser
Varalyn Kaiser marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • In Their Own Voices: Transracial Adoptees Tell Their Stories
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • Black Baby White Hands: A View from the Crib
  • Inside Transracial Adoption
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward
  • What Are You?: Voices of Mixed-Race Young People
  • The Magic Years: Understanding & Handling the Problems of Early Childhood
  • Being Adopted: The Lifelong Search for Self
  • Half and Half: Writers on Growing Up Biracial and Bicultural
  • GreenBean: True Blue Family
  • Raising Adopted Children: Practical Reassuring Advice for Every Adoptive Parent
  • Your Baby and Child: From Birth to Age Five (Revised Edition)
Donna Jackson Nakazawa is an award-winning science journalist and public speaker. In her newest book, The Last Best Cure (Hudson Street, February 2013), she chronicles her year-long journey investigating the groundbreaking neuroscience on the healing potential of our brains.

Critics call Nakazawa’s “story-telling art” “masterful” and The Last Best Cure “a genuine page-turning science/non-fiction th
More about Donna Jackson Nakazawa...
The Autoimmune Epidemic: Bodies Gone Haywire in a World Out of Balance--And the Cutting-Edge Science That Promises Hope The Last Best Cure: My Quest to Awaken the Healing Parts of My Brain and Get Back My Body, My Joy, and My Life Childhood Interrupted: How Adversity in Your Past Writes the Story of Your Future--and How You Can Change the Script