Start by marking “Learning to Silence the Mind: Wellness Through Meditation” as Want to Read:
Learning to Silence the Mind: Wellness Through Meditation

Learning to Silence the Mind: Wellness Through Meditation

The mind, says Osho, has the potential to be enormously creative in dealing with the challenges of everyday life, and the problems of the world in which we live. The difficulty, however, is that instead of using the mind as a helpful servant we have largely allowed it to become the master of our lives. Its ambitions, belief systems, and interpretations rule our days and ou ...more
Published August 21st 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Learning to Silence the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning to Silence the Mind

Sofía
May 11, 2014 Sofía rated it it was ok
It wasn't what I expected.
Manal Al Nadabi
This is my first time reading for Osho, and i'm kind of shocked.
I don't quite understand how he is a worldwide spiritual teacher.
How come a spiritual teacher is extremely generalizing?
How come a spiritual teacher is bias to this religion and reject
others?
He underestimates human beings, he discourages motivation and
ambitions, he is very much underestimating the power of a human being.
I would not deny that i did like certain parts of this book, but mostly it is very subjective.
EXTREMELY SUBJECT
Vaibhav Vats
Dec 20, 2014 Vaibhav Vats rated it it was amazing
Read it, Thats it. Words are not enough to cover what Osho says in 192 page long book. :)
Abhijit Suvarna
Jul 05, 2017 Abhijit Suvarna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: awesome
This is my first Osho book .... I hope to read more of his works.
Got myself a new goal in life .... to become 'Zorba the Buddah'. I highly recommend this book to all who are seeking a path of peace and love..... body over mind is something I've read for the first time.
I guess it all starts with believing in the power we posses in ourselves to achieve enlightenment!
Geert
Jan 24, 2016 Geert rated it liked it
After reading a handful of chapters my initial thoughts on the book were poor: disorganized, unfocused, and repetitive. My desire was to put it down. The anecdotes Osho employs to further a point are often unneeded or historically bogus, which annoyed me. The book gets better as you read on and learn to sift through the overly esoteric and repetitive passages. My end impression is that it is a worthwhile read, with some great insights and a few bothersome frowns.

There's a lot to think about in t
Rian Nejar
Nov 25, 2016 Rian Nejar rated it it was ok
"God is a constant search for more and more happiness, joy, and ecstasy." - Rajneesh (Osho)

If that be true, it seems to me, God must be a process of indulgence in endless materialism. Rather contradictory, but this godman's definitions have a tendency to be opposed to traditional thought and religion. He is quite clever in his thought and speech, which are recorded in the book, but he caters to his doting audience (American, in this instance) with observations that resonate with their beliefs -
Devan Raj
May 01, 2015 Devan Raj rated it liked it
Osho had gone way beyond the orthodox religious teaching and shown an eccentric path to attain liberation of one's mind. I am dubious with his theory which could be because i am constrained to my conventional Hindu religious teaching.I could not part with the idea in which he explained that body and soul are psychosomatic in which the body and soul need to coexist to attain liberation. This contradicts with the Hindu's teachings which states that the soul is immortal while the body is mortal. He ...more
Praveen
Apr 04, 2016 Praveen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, e-books
Self consciousness is a disease, self awareness is strength.

Meditation is all about self awareness not Self consciousness.

Osho quotes numerous stories, especially story of Russian philosopher Georgi Ivanovitch Gurdjieff. Where he experiments to realising you are in dream, this is the zenith where you become aware of yourself.

This is a nice book.
Vishal Verma
Nov 23, 2014 Vishal Verma rated it really liked it
This book is really a fantastic read. The anecdotes Osho has used will keep giving you timely dosage of titillation throughout the book. However, this book is not written by Osho. Osho had different methods for different people. This book has been compiled from his lectures. And hence I must say that one should not follow his words without supervision of some spiritual master.
Ester Vilas Boas
Oct 30, 2014 Ester Vilas Boas rated it it was amazing
Amazing
Aditya Dutta
Nov 26, 2013 Aditya Dutta rated it it was amazing
A must read for meditators...
Sara Alaa
Nov 10, 2015 Sara Alaa rated it liked it
the book carries many thought and it is highly involving. the writer is offensive sometimes but overall I love the variety of ideas and the new insights :).
Dariosk
Jun 08, 2016 Dariosk rated it it was amazing
Probably the best no BS mumbo jumbo book about meditation/ mindfulness/ Buddhism out there.
Clear of religious crap, meditation shines through as a tremendous human gift.
Shikha rawal
Jul 30, 2016 Shikha rawal rated it it was amazing
Every single time an osho book does the magic. Every single time !!
Sachin Sparker
Nov 24, 2014 Sachin Sparker rated it it was amazing
His Way of Silencing the mind is very different from others and dangerous to this mundane world. because if you go in his way its difficult to sustain in this cosmopolitan lifestyle.
Marko
Marko rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2015
Surya Pandian
Surya Pandian rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2017
Dhanya Nambiar
Dhanya Nambiar rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2017
Nitin Chaudhary
Nitin Chaudhary rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Karyn
Karyn rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2016
Pranjal Chandrakar
Pranjal Chandrakar rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
j kloosterman
j kloosterman rated it it was amazing
Dec 13, 2015
Débora Martinez
Débora Martinez rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Liana McDonald
Liana McDonald rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2013
Clarence Lam
Clarence Lam rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Mia Nørbak
Mia Nørbak rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2015
Shekar
Shekar rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2017
León
León rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Sinuhe
Sinuhe rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Android Apps for Absolute Beginners
  • A Beginner's Guide to the World Economy: Eighty-one Basic Economic Concepts That Will Change the Way You See the World
  • History of the Conflict Between Religion and Science
  • Toward 2012: Perspectives on the Next Age
  • The Conscious Cleanse
  • Breviario de los vencidos
  • Small Acts of Resistance: How Courage, Tenacity, and Ingenuity Can Change the World
  • The Cherokee Removal: A Brief History with Documents
  • Apocalypse Array (LINK Angel, #4)
  • The Lazy Project Manager and the Project from Hell
  • Despre limită
  • When Germs Travel: Six major epidemics that have invaded America since 1900 and the fears they have unleashed
  • Sea Garden
  • Against All Odds: My Life of Hardship, Fast Breaks, and Second Chances
  • A Course in Miracles: Combined Volume
  • Question Your Thinking, Change The World
  • Celestine Insights - Limited Edition of Celestine Prophecy and Tenth Insight
  • Ancient Rome: From the Earliest Times Down to 476 A.D.
One of the most provocative and inspiring spiritual teachers of the twentieth century, Osho defies categorization - reflecting everything from the individual quest for meaning to the most urgent social and political issues facing society today. His books are not written but are transcribed from recordings of extemporaneous talks given over a period of thirty-five years. Osho has been described by ...more
More about Osho...

“God is not an ascetic, otherwise there would be no flowers, there would be no green trees, only deserts. God is not an ascetic, otherwise there would be no song in life, no dance in life—only cemeteries and cemeteries. God is not an ascetic; God enjoys life.” 8 likes
“Imagination is a great force. On the path of meditation, imagination is a barrier; on the path of love, imagination is a help. On the path of love, imagination is used as a device: You are told to imagine as intensely and passionately as possible. But on the path of meditation the same thing becomes a barrier.

Imagination simply means that you visualize a certain thing but you put so much energy into it that it almost becomes real.”
0 likes