Start by marking “Hush Money: A Mystery (Jack MacTaggart #1)” as Want to Read:
Hush Money: A Mystery (Jack MacTaggart #1)

Hush Money: A Mystery (Jack MacTaggart #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  42 reviews
A Finalist for Private Eye Writers of America's Shamus Award for Best First P.I. Novel
A Finalist for Left Coast Crime's 2013 Rocky Award
When Hush Puppy, Pasadena socialite Sydney Everett's champion show horse, dies under suspicious circumstances, junior lawyer Jack MacTaggart is assigned to handle the insurance claim. But the case soon takes an unexpected turn, thrusting
336 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hush Money, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hush Money

I received “Hush Money” by Chuck Greaves as a part of the come giveaway program. I received an ARC copy (Advanced Reader’s Copy) which typically means that not everything about the book is finalized, typically things like the cover. I hope this is the cover it’s published with though, because I think it does a great job of fitting the story inside!

Now I know that most of the books that I talk about on my blog (or my Good Reads account) are fantasies, but I’ve been reading mysterie
Nancy McFarlane
Jack MacTaggert, a wise-cracking young lawyer, is a new addition to a prestigious, highfalutin law firm. Jack, his law firm and the moneyed players in the grand-prix world of horse jumping become all mixed up in this tale of insurance fraud, dead horses and murder (of the human kind). Greaves has written a sharp, funny, fast-paced mystery with a smart, sarcastic young hero who, I hope, we will see lots more of.

I used to love Dick Frances books and this is a more modern, funnier, US based mystery
Douglas Lord
Reminiscent of Steve Martini’s Paul Madriani novels is Greaves’s legal thriller, starring a hands-on lawyer. When the titular, bazillion-dollar horse dies under shadowy circumstances, the insurance company refuses to pony up (Ha!)—especially since the owner’s prior boss died the same way with a fat settlement check following. Checking in on the situation is Jack MacTaggart, a lawyer pinch-hitting for the firm representing the owner. MacTaggart is full of awesome; he’s energetic, smart, and (ahem ...more
It's not a bad book, but I've had enough of books populated by extraordinary characters. To add to the annoyance there are long passages explaining just how super the hero and his girlfriend are that add nothing to the plot.

I enjoyed the first 50 pages or so, then it just got silly.
Stephen Campbell
Hush Money, the debut novel by lawyer turned author by Chuck Greaves, introduces Jack MacTaggart to the world of mysteries and thrillers. Jack's a lawyer who is most comfortable representing clients against powerful interests. But the fun begins when he's assigned the task of dealing with a wealthy socialite whose horse, Hush Money, has just died.

Of course, all is not as it seems. The wealthy socialite may have financial problems, and the horse may have been killed for the insurance money. In sh
This was a new to me author and narrator and only picked it up because it is nominated for an Audie award in the mystery category.

When the book started I thought ok it’s a legal thriller, then we have a death of a horse and all that goes along with the hoity toity horse crowd, then we have a murder and some medical mystery so this is hard to categorize. I enjoyed the main character lawyer Jack MacTaggert he was somewhat cynical, and has a dry sense of humor. I see there is a second book coming o
Scott Soloff
Beautifully constructed book! Characters are well drawn; plotting is superb; the pacing delightful. It absolutely deserves five stars.

But, it is not a GREAT book. It is an excellent book. Way above average. I had to stop and reflect what elevates a book to greatness?

I'm not sure that I have the answer; however, I did manage to come up with an example.

Jim Butcher's "Harry Dresden" series, I believe, rises to greatness (also, there appears to hordes of fans that agree).

The Dresden series has well
This is the first book in the Jack McTaggert mysteries,and the author's first book.
I loved the writing as well as the main character in lawyer Jack McTaggert.

Mr Greaves fleshed out his not only his flawed hero but everyone involved in the mystery. No one in the book the book is a one dimensional including McTaggert.

I liked this book so much that I'm now reading the 2nd one in the series,Green Eyed Lady.

Hush Money is well worth the time in reading it
I really liked this book. When I was a young girl, we lived across from Bay Meadows race track in San Mateo, and we were frequently at the track. I especially liked the paddock, and got to know the horses and jockeys. This book brought a lot of those memories back for me.

This was a well written mystery, with a nicely placed plot, that seemed to go just about the same way the rider would lead the horse to the jumps, faster and faster until the final jump, when I held my breath as I read in antici
Patrick O'Connor
Entertaining, if conventional legal thriller. A bit over the top but why not? What was entertaining for me is that it takes place in my town of Pasadena so the locales were very familar and easy to recognize. I could argue with the charactors on what were the best routes to take places. And the parking in Old Town isn't that bad.
I will refrain from giving a plot synopssis, since other reviewers have done so.

I enjoyed Hush Money and you will too if you like lawyer books with a good mystery and a witty main character. I don't normally read lawyer books and I did find that some of the legal lingo in book was a little hard to follow at times. I really enjoyed the main character's wit, which did a good job of not coming across as rude nor snobish.
The ending was a little abrupt and felt a little incomplete in tying up loose e
Elly Wendy
Suspense, action, legal maneuvers, horses, surprising bursts of humour, and some beautifully written passages. I am impressed by the writing and found this audiobook engaging, delightful, and good entertainment.
Chuck Greaves' HUSH MONEY, was a great romp. The horse world, which I happen to love, but which others can find tedious, was exposed in an engaging way with rich characters and great settings in the barely disguised Flintridge Riding Club. The central character was complex and motivated with all the requisite components of a mystery handled with an expert hand (this despite HM being Greaves' first book). The combination of horses and mystery made this book "on my track" but there's so much that ...more
Jack MacTaggart is a newly hired lawyer at a prestigious law firm in Pasadena. He is assigned to handle an insurance claim on the death of a horse, a show jumper insured for $2 million dollars. Funny book though I found it a bit over done, sort of a low tech wanna-be James Bond. Even though Jack is the new kid, everyone turns to him for answers. He knows nothing about horses but quickly becomes the expert and the go to guy in case of emergency. The villains are appropriately sinister to off set ...more
Heaven Morgan
Hush Money is a riveting story of an attorney who is sucked into a crazy equestrian world. I adore the love stroy underlying the mystery itself and it is a reletively easy read. While reading the book I went through the ups and downs with Jack and I felt as if I was watching through the fence. I was a little disappointed with the open ending. I hoped there would be a happily ever after but despite this Hush Money is intriguing and there is a nice balance of action and drama.
Fun, quick read. I have the next book in the series on my list.
Donna Siebold
With the flavor of Mickey Spillane and the legal twists of Grisham or Turow, Chuck Greaves introduces Jack MacTaggert.

Jack is investigating the mysterious death of Hush Puppy - a champion show horse. Twists and turns abound including the death of another horse, blackmail and murder. Working frequently "on principle" Jack follows all the leads getting bruised and battered along the way.

The beginning is slow but it ends up being an enjoyable story.
Pretty good story with lots of legal and medical jargon. I ended up skimming some parts because they just became too tedious for late night reading. But the characters were somewhat enjoyable.
This first novel by Chuck Greaves, set in Pasadena and surrounds, focuses on the horse set. Jack McTaggart, a young lawyer from a rough background but working in a prestigious law firm. He is mentored by an older attorney with a courtly, ethical perspective on the law. McTaggart has the same perspective. Assigned to support a wealthy woman's
I have been a life-long fan of the mystery genre with a host of favorite authors: Amanda Cross, Joseph Hansen, Dashiell Hammett, Erle Stanly Gardner, Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh, Richard and Frances Lockridge (the last are truly under rated in my opinion), and above all, Rex Stout. Seriously, this book held me at their level. I look forward to reading the next in the series.
Hard to believe this is a debut mystery-- the writing is very accomplished: smart, funny, well plotted, with solid characters, a good mystery, and a wonderful sense of place, in this case Pasadena and the moneyed world of the horse club in La Canada. An entertaining legal mystery that has me ready to jump right into the next one.
Amanda (cougarette)
I received this as a Goodreads giveaway.

I'm a fan of mysteries, and this one was good. I really liked Jack and his quick wit and smart ass comments. This kept me guessing, and I liked the ending. There were some parts that seemed improbable, but it was entertaining enough that I let it slide and just enjoyed the story.
I read two Pasadena-based mysteries on the recommendations of fellow art librarians on the eve of our annual national Art Libraries Society conference, held in Pasadena this year. Both of these were amazing in their way, and I had a fantastic time in Pasadena, maybe as a result!
Cynthia Naden
This is not moving in the way I like a mystery to go but the horse world that he describes is very interesting. Other than for a book group which I am currently reading it for it takes place in Pasadena, the city where I reside.
Found "Green-eyed Lady" in the new book section in the library and realized I should read "Hush Money" first. It was suspenseful, funny and fast paced. Loved it and just started reading Green Eyed-Lady.
I really enjoyed this book. The main character, lawyer Jack Mc Taggert, is witty, caustic, and clever. I really hope the author plans more books about him. Very well written, give me more!
Sheryl Valentine
This one is okay. I live and work in the Pasadena/Glendale areas, and since the plot takes place there it was a fun read. Fun mystery, not great but okay.
Chowhound88 (a.k.a. Ralph)
I really enjoyed reading this book. It kept me on edge and wanting more. I can't wait to read more books by this author. Outstanding job for his first book.
M. Patrick
This mystery kept me quessing until the last few minutes. Characters were both genuine and interesting.
Clever dialog, and an inside look at the privileged world of horse show jumping in Southern Cal.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Murder of the Bride (Rex Graves Mystery #5)
  • The Fine Art of Murder (Murder, She Wrote, #36)
  • Full Cleveland (Milan Jacovich, #2)
  • Searching for Lincoln's Ghost
  • A Simple Autumn (Seasons of Lancaster #3)
  • Final Sail (Dead-End Job Mystery, #11)
  • The Heartbreak of Aaron Burr
  • Every Last Secret: A Mystery
  • Temporary Sanity (Marty Nickerson, #2)
  • Dandy Gilver and an Unsuitable Day for a Murder (Dandy Gilver, #6)
  • The Corpse with the Silver Tongue (Cait Morgan #1)
  • All Sales Fatal (A Mall Cop Mystery, #2)
  • The Dirty Secret
  • The First Warm Evening of the Year
  • The Girl Next Door (Carter Ross, #3)
  • Troubleshooter (Tim Rackley #3)
  • Sanctuary Cove (Cavanaugh Island, #1)
  • Fallen Masters
aka C. Joseph Greaves

Chuck Greaves is an honors graduate of both the University of Southern California and Boston College Law School who spent 25 years as a trial lawyer in Los Angeles before turning his attention to fiction. His debut novel HUSH MONEY (Minotaur) won the SouthWest Writers' International Writing Contest, received starred reviews from both Publishers Weekly and Library Journal, and
More about Chuck Greaves...

Jack MacTaggart (3 books)
  • Green-Eyed Lady: A Mystery (Jack MacTaggart #2)
  • The Last Heir: A Mystery (Jack MacTaggart #3)