Start by marking “The Missing Heir” as Want to Read:
The Missing Heir

The Missing Heir (The Sherlock Files #4)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  98 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Xena and Xander have just learned that their shy classmate, Alice, is the heir to a royal throne! Then they discover that their ancestor, Sherlock Holmes, had his suspicions about the kidnapping and return of Alice's grandmother, the princess of Borogovia.

Alice is to be crowned on her thirteenth birthday . . . but she goes missing days before the ceremony. Who would kidnap...more
Published August 7th 2012 by Square Fish (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Heir, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Missing Heir

Becky
Ages 8-12. Xena and Xander Holmes, great-great-great-grandchildren of Sherlock, are drawn into another one of their ancestor's cold cases. Shy classmate Alice is found to be the heir to the throne of Borogovia, although she only wants to sing on the Talented Brits TV show. She tells the siblings about a family mystery--a baby kidnapped, then returned a month later, and some 100-year-old letters concerning it that Alice had trouble translating. The letters disappear, then Alice is "kidnapped". Xe...more
IndyPL Kids Book Blog
As descendants of Sherlock Holmes, Xander and Xena Holmes are members of The Society for the Preservation of Famous Detectives (SPFD). They have a Sherlock’s notebook of unsolved cases and are getting pretty experienced solving old crimes, and I mean old! The book contains 100-year-old secrets. Are the mysteries too old to solve? Not for the descendents of Mr. Sherlock Holmes, the worlds greatest detective.

In this fourth mystery the kids discover that their friend Alice is really a princess - li...more
Brett
Twins Xena & Xander Holmes are faced with two interconnected cases simultaneously. The first involves their school friend, Alice, an orphan who has recently discovered that she is soon to be crowned princess of a small European nation called Borogovia. Alice comes upon some baffling letters hinting at some odd family history & is then kidnapped. The letters seem to touch upon a case from their esteemed great-great-great grandfather's book of mysteries he was unable to solve, involving th...more
Mara
In many ways, this was the best installment in this series. While still lacking a true villain, the culprit in The Missing Heir is the closest to a bad guy that the Author has gotten to so far in the series, and that is better than nothing. My opinions on The Missing Heir don't much differ from the others; it would be nice for an actual villain who means true harm to the siblings - villain make a mystery, after all, - and I was impressed with how the Author tied one of Sherlock's old, unsolved c...more
Cathrine Bonham
The plot is a little tame I think. It seems to me that there isn't really any reason that Sherlock Holmes would have had it listed as an unsolved case. The solution was easily guessed at and the climax was just a little too "I would have gotten away with it too. . ." Though I do think that kids will like it and even though it isn't strictly speaking by the book it might serve to encourage young readers into exploring Sir Arthur's most excellent body of work.
Pam
This book was a quick read for me, an adult, but I found the story quick moving, well paced and interesting. I was glad to find Tracy Barrett back in fine form after finding the third book in the series, The Case That Time Forgot, choppy. This story line flowed well and was interesting. I hope that Tracy will further develop Xena and Xander's characters.
Steve
This is a great series for kids (even older ones, like me) that love a very interesting mystery. This book is another rollicking romp through the world of Xena and Xander Holmes, the great, great, great grandchildren of Sherlock Holmes. Once again, they have a chance to solve one of his unsolved cases. Dive right in. It's fun!
Elizabeth Qualia
This was a cute little story, predictable, but cute. It might not have been predictable if I read this when I was 8-10, or younger. I liked that the case brought in some older things like the operetta: H. M. S. Pinafore. I'd like to see that someday. Not too much else to say about this.
Pamela Powell
Xena and Xander once again solve a mystery their illustrious ancestor, Sherlock Holmes, hadn't been able to solve. This time though, the mystery involves a friend at school who has been kidnapped. Great mystery!
Beverly
A solid entry in the series. Young readers won't notice that there is not much character development, and that the plot has been done before. But the story is interesting and well-paced, and suitable for students in about grades 4 and 5 or so.
Tiffany
I think these books are fun mysteries. I like that they are short but satisfying. This one was a little predictable but since it is written for children and not adults I don't think that is a bad thing.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
Pretty good juvenile mystery. I think this will be a good way to get young kids into the Sherlock Holmes stories, then into even more mysteries after that. Good series, worth recommending to younger readers.
Cinnapatty
Great book for maybe grades 4-8? Although all ages would enjoy it. I love a good mystery :)
Lugene
Such a fun series of books, but only 4. Hope she writes more.
Sophia
Im not liking it so far...
Bobbie
Bobbie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Stanley Faris
Stanley Faris marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Jenna Jewell
Jenna Jewell marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Becka Ramaglia
Becka Ramaglia marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
Alyssa O'Connell
Alyssa O'Connell marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Scripterity
Scripterity marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I was born in 1955 in Cleveland, Ohio, and grew up mostly in New York state. I went to college in New England and graduate school in California.

The first book I ever read by myself was called Little Bobo and His Blue Jacket. I still have it. I learned to read when I was three, but I know now that this doesn't mean much. My brother didn't really read until he was seven, and now he reads more and re...more
More about Tracy Barrett...
Anna of Byzantium The 100-Year-Old Secret (The Sherlock Files #1) Dark of the Moon  The Stepsister's Tale King of Ithaka