Start by marking “Invisible Country” as Want to Read:
Invisible Country

Invisible Country

From the author of City of Silver, a beautifully rich and puzzling historical mystery set in Paraguay, 1868

A war against Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay has devastated Paraguay. Ninety percent of the males between the ages of eight and eighty have died in the conflict and food is scarce. In the small village of Santa Caterina, Padre Gregorio advises the women of his congreg
Published July 3rd 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Country

Diane S ☔
Aug 11, 2012 Diane S ☔ rated it really liked it
3.5 First book I have ever read set in Paraguay and I really enjoyed this novel. A first it was quite difficult to keep all the characters straight but as I read on it became easier. Between 1863 and 1870
Paraguay fought against Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay, Paraguay lost 90% of it's male population which is the beginning of this mystery, and the small town of Santa Caterina is starving for food. There is a murder of an important man, and the villagers themselves set out to find the killer so t
Leighton Gage
Jul 03, 2012 Leighton Gage rated it it was amazing
Annamaria Alfieri’s first novel, City of Silver, was set in seventeenth-century Potosi.
Now, in Invisible Country, she carries us two centuries forward, and a thousand kilometers away, to the little Paraguayan village of Santa Caterina.
As the book begins, the War of the Triple Alliance, the bloodiest clash in South American history is in its fourth year. Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay continue to pursue their conflict of attrition against little Paraguay. Santa Caterina’s crops and livestock have
Kgwhitehurst
Apr 10, 2014 Kgwhitehurst rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I could not finish this book because it is simplistic. The narrative voice is both uninteresting and undifferentiated because the style is plodding. There are three major reasons for this--most sentences do not exceed eleven words, the sentence structure is either SVObj or SLVPn or PAdj, with very little co-ordination or subordination, and the vocabulary is limited. The overall effect is to create not an evocative, nuanced narrative, but rather a text that appears to have been by and for a 7th g ...more
Andrew Wanner
Sep 10, 2016 Andrew Wanner rated it it was ok
yeah... its trash... but its set in paraguay and gives some historical context?
Jane
Jul 11, 2012 Jane rated it liked it
I will read ANYTHING about Paraguay's war against the triple alliance, so finding Alfieri's second book was catnip for me. Her first, City of SIlver, provided a fascinating glimpse into Spanish colonial power and intrigue in the city of Potosi, which is apparently the best-preserved baroque Spanish city in the world. I want to go! Invisible Country did not live up to Alfieri's first, but it rolled along easily enough to hold my interest. That war ended in 1866, and Paraguay is still recovering f ...more
Elli
Sep 03, 2012 Elli rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elli by: Diane, Donna
One does not read that many books involving Paraguay. I found this interesting and a very good book! It's a fact that there was a triple alliance war wihich involved Brazil and Argentina going to war with small Paraguay, with no really good reason other than grandiose dreams of the dictator in question. But there comes a time no matter how scared and beaten you are, you have to just come forth and keep going, and that's what happened. A bit of justice in it's own way.
Jean Kelly
Sep 04, 2012 Jean Kelly rated it really liked it
An interesting novel that centers around a murder but that focus is used to describe unforgettable characters in Paraguay in the time of a war that is tearing the country apart. The author sounds genuine no matter what the character she is describing - dictator type general, priest who urges people to forget the rules and get the women pregnant so the country doesn't die out, young girl who falls in love with one of the enemy.
Kate
Nov 04, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
Amusing, very human, and informative - but not much of a mystery. At any rate the mystery is not the most important part of the story here. What IS striking about the book is the story of something called the "Triple Alliance" and a war in the 19th century that practically decimated Paraguay, virtually a genocide by a dictator who ruled the country at the time and sent his people into an ill-advised war against Brazil. Heartbreaking, really, although told with humor and humanity.
Kathleen Freeman
While the story and mystery itself were just okay, the fascinating thing for me was the time and place in history. Paraguay is a country I do not know anything about so for me learning about it was interesting.
Jennifer Robb
Jan 24, 2016 Jennifer Robb rated it it was ok
Recommended to Jennifer by: Patti W.
One of my employees recommended this book to me after she read and enjoyed it. I found it hard to want to keep reading. I think I did not care enough about the characters to drive me to keep reading to find out what happened to any of them.
Miriam Holsinger
Jul 10, 2013 Miriam Holsinger rated it really liked it
Took me a bit to get through the beginning - a bit depressing as it starts in a warn torn country where 90% of the men have been killed. But once I got past that I enjoyed the writing style and the array of characters.
Bonnie
May 08, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
One of the best of historical fiction, this is the second I've read by Annamaria Alfieri, and I loved them both. Set in colonial Central America, the descriptive passages and characterizations give a strong sense of the culture and time. And there's a mystery to boot!
Wendy
I enjoyed this book. It was interesting, historical and difficult to read at times. I want to learn more about Paraguay. They seem to be a proud, strong people whose culture deserves studying. I want to read about today's Paraguay.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2012 Lisa added it
Shelves: could-not-finish
I thought I'd give this a try (new to me author), but I just couldn't really get into this book, so am quitting after one hundred+ pages.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Laurence
Laurence rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2014
DJ
DJ rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2014
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Charlene
Charlene rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2012
Ray
Sep 05, 2012 Ray rated it liked it
Fun read. I give it 3.25. It's sort of a romantic comedy of errors history story.
Suzan Eaton
Suzan Eaton rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2012
Marisa
Marisa rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2014
Cyrus Alderwood
Cyrus Alderwood rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2016
Helen Ridout
Helen Ridout rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Dlmrose
Dlmrose rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Geogoddess
Geogoddess rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Anna Huber
Anna Huber rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2013
Annamaria Alfieri is the pen name used by author Patricia King for her mystery novel City of Silver, set in 1650 in the wealthy Peruvian (now Bolivian) city of Potosi.
More about Annamaria Alfieri...