Start by marking “The Sleeping and the Dead: A Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Sleeping and the Dead: A Mystery

The Sleeping and the Dead: A Mystery (Jackie Lyons Mystery #1)

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A new mystery series starring a Memphis crime scene photographer with ghostly assistance

Jackie Lyons is a former vice detective with the Memphis Police Department who is trying to put her life back together: her husband has sent divorce papers, she's broke, and needs a place to live. But a failed marriage, unemployment, and most recently a fire in her apartment aren’t her
Published July 3rd 2012 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about The Sleeping and the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sleeping and the Dead

Julie H.
Set in Memphis, the title page suggests this is the kickoff to what will be the Jackie Lyons mystery series. Jackie is a contractual crime scene photographer who is flirting with mixed success at rebounding from having hit rock bottom as an addict. In the last few years she has, in pretty rapid succession, lost her apartment, husband, and job as a cop on the vice squad. Her friends are few and far between, and one has pulled strings to secure her some employment working as an independent photogr ...more
Regan
I read a fascinating book about a month ago called, "The Sleeping and the Dead." ... Phenomenal story, well written and entertaining.

The main character is easy to wrap your teeth around. The haunted happenings in the story tend to make you feel for the main character. The gruesome murders keep you entertained, as well as turning the page. And the end isn't who you thought it would be.

I cannot say enough about this book. I happened to stumble upon it in my local library, and I am very thankful
Cathy Cole
I normally don't enjoy reading about current or reformed addicts, but there are exceptions: Barbara Seranella's Munch Mancini, Ken Bruen's Jack Taylor, and now Jeff Crook's Jackie Lyons. As she visits crime scenes and talks to the police officers she knows, it's obvious that she had a lot of talent as a detective-- or she would have, if drugs hadn't sidetracked her. Seeing glimpses of that talent made me a patient reader, willing to tease out wisps of clues throughout the narrative in order to l ...more
Starr Reina
An ex-cop turned photographer and a Leica camera that tells stories it has no right to know.

Jackie Lyons, formerly of the Memphis Police Department, turns into a junkie after one thing too many uproots her world. She tries to pull it together with the help of a detective friend by the name of Adam. She now takes pictures of murder scenes and sells them back to the department . . . and an old perv she befriended from a past case. It is her means of making a living.

When the Playhouse Killer enact
Kristin
I loved this mystery set in Memphis, and reading it made me realize I haven't read any fiction set in Memphis before, which I'm glad I remedied. Every time the author dropped a street or restaurant name or mentioned a landmark, I enjoyed the comfort of familiarity with the settings. The mystery itself was entertaining, and the main character, Jackie Lyons -- a recovering heroin addict who used to be a vice cop -- provided compelling narration that, while endearing herself to me and making me roo ...more
John
I was hooked by this one from the get-go; protagonist reminded me of the one from Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects. Jackie's not always the "nicest" person, but she's honest with the reader about that, though she is fiercely loyal. I've never been to Memphis (nor northeast Arkansas), with this book giving me a great feel for those places. A series would be great, but if this is a one-off, I'm fine with that, too. Recommended for those who like their mysteries on the noir/thriller side.
Alice
I picked this one off the shelf for a long train ride. It was totally entertaining - and had a few great moments - but suffered from some flaws (a couple of 'really, dude?' illogical moments, a bunch of telling not showing toward the end) that made me think "this guy's editor did him no favors" / "mmm you can tell this was his first mystery novel." That said, it had enough glimmers of interesting stuff that I'd try a second by the author just to see.
Eileen
Not bad for a first mystery book. Quite a few twists and turns and not quite sure what was real and what was fantasy. It did get confusing at times. I guess that was the nature of the book, seems like it was part of the theme and I guess if that was the plan, Mr. Crook succeeded!
Stephanie
Great Book! It kept a great pace, kept me wanting more and had a tremendous ending. I am so astonished that this is Jeff Crook's first mystery novel. I hope there is more to come from him...soon!!!!
Corey
This is my friend Jeff. He is very nice. He is also a very good writer. This is a smart, funny, totally engrossing story which moves along like a souped-up hearse. Read it.
Marsha Tepper
...could have been interesting but couldn't get into it.
Lisa
Wow! Very intricate detail and I loved it!
Daria
An easy fast read...kept you wanting to read.
Mary
Ginny
Ginny added it
Aug 11, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2014
Cher
Cher added it
Jan 31, 2014
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jeff Crook and his lovely wife, Lady Jessica, live in the Quinn family home among Jeff's ancestors -- not in the Native American or even the John-Boy Walton sense, but in the Stephen King sense. As their niece Nickie said, "Those stairs are spooky!" There, Jeff grows tomatoes and grass (more grass than tomatoes), sometimes he works, and he writes the rest of the time, neglecting most everything el ...more
More about Jeff Crook...
The Rose and the Skull (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #4) The Thieves' Guild (Dragonlance: Crossroads, #2) Dark Thane (Dragonlance: The Age of Mortals, #3) Conundrum (Dragonlance: The Age of Mortals, #1) Champions of Ruin (Dungeon & Dragons d20 3.5 Fantasy Roleplaying, Forgotten Realms Setting)