When Morning Comes: A Family Affair Novel

When Morning Comes: A Family Affair Novel (Hidden Legacy/A Family Affair #2)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  46 reviews
In her unforgettable new novel When Morning Comes, Francis Ray delivers an emotionally powerful tale about the families we build, the choices we make, and how we find love and family along the way.

Dr. Cade Mathis learned early that he was not the son of the man who raised him. His adoptive father, a cruel, bitter man, had always been quick to tell him that he was a bastard...more
Published June 5th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

Lady Raven RAVE!
THOUGHTS

I enjoyed this book. I felt like I was getting two stories and four lives entwined in one. The author did a great job conveying everyone’s’ emotions. Chapter one sets the pace for Cade and Sabrina in the story once their interaction begins.

Cade was definitely emotionless in the beginning as the story begins, which for me was good because I didn’t want him to be perfect because he was a doctor. I will think his emotionless and stern state as a doctor and a person stems from his backgroun...more
Debbie
I have very conflicting thoughts on this book. This novel is actually two different stories woven together through the two female protagonists being best friends. Other than that, and the very unrealistically ending, which tied everything up into a nice, neat, happy little package, they are almost completely separate. I not sure how I would normally feel about this arrangement but in this book it worked OK because I was really irritated by the secondary female lead character and it was nice to b...more
Racquel
This book stands apart from other novels written by Ms. Ray. I was surprised that she took the story THERE. The plot involving Sabrina and Cade was bold and not what I expected from Ms. Ray. Nonetheless, I enjoyed it and appreciated the twist in the story.

I like the roles that Sabrina and Tristan took on in their pursuit of lust and how it developed into love. Kara's mother is one of those characters that you don't want to admit is good because you dislike her so much. I would've liked a more i...more
Dafort
When Morning Comes is a follow-up to I Know Who Holds Tomorrow and it did not disappoint. Dr. Cade Mathis is a man with a past filled with hurt and emotional scars which followed him into adulthood. His past has left a bitter taste and mistrust of people that does not make for a good "bedside manner". In steps Sabrina Thomas, a woman that on first sight knew Cade was the one for her and was determined to shower him with love and show him that love and family conquers all. There was also a second...more
Reader's Paradise
Amazon Headline: Joy comes in the morning....

Kara Simmons works as a Social Worker at Texas Hospital with Sabrina Thomas, who’s a patient advocate. Rather than flying on the wings of her family prestige, Sabrina moved to another state so she could make a name for herself. She and Kara both are single and become fast friends and neighbors. Abuse has left both women emotionally stunned but each have a different way of handling their pain.

Dr. Cade Mathis is known for his straight-forward persona an...more
Revae
When Morning Comes highlights the lives of two single women: Kara Simmons and Sabrina Thomas, social workers at a local hospital. Sabrina falls for the top neurosurgeon in the hospital, Cade Mathis. Cade has a hard time reciprocating Sabrina's feelings because he struggles with abandonment issues from the socialite mother who gave him away. When Tristan, the friend of a patient, decides to bring Kara's hidden talent of painting to the forefront along with making her his girl, Kara has to finally...more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by Angie
Book provided by the publisher for review
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I admit it, the cover is pretty much the main reason why I chose to read and review When Morning Comes. Isn’t it gorgeous?!

When Morning Comes is the first book in the Family Affairs series and covers the goings on of best friends Kara Simmons – who is brutally walked all over by her ferocious mother – and Sabrina Thomas – who is madly in lust with the totally eligible, but completely hands off...more
Shawnette
I was thoroughly CAPTIVATED by the budding romances between Cade and Sabrina; Tristan and Kara...I LOVED every minute of this HEARTWARMING tale...I laughed, cried and CHEERED as the couples navigated through some SURPRISING twists...I can't wait to meet the rest of A.J. Reed's off-spring...and it's a WONDERFUL treat catching up with the cast from I Know Who Holds Tomorrow...a definite MUST read...Mrs. Ray did NOT disappoint!
Brenda

Wow! What a great book! I loved how Francis Ray intertwined the lives of two women and two men. All of this while calling attention to adoption.
Nancy
Two women, two men – what could be simpler? Yeah, right, you know that won’t happen. Two patient advocates (the girls) live on the same street and work together. One of them, Sabrina, doesn’t take insults lying down and Kara is keeping a vow she made to her dying father: she’s taking care of Mom. Mom, of course, does not appreciate anything done and doesn’t hold back when it comes to telling Kara how she feels.
Cade Mathis is the drop-dead gorgeous neurosurgeon at the same hospital. Too bad his l...more
Anna
My Book Addiction and More MBA
WHEN MORNING COMES by Francis Ray is an interesting contemporary romance. It is the beginning of a new series,”A Family Affair”. A touching tale of family,forgiveness,secrets,love,friendship,choices we make,the consequences they bring and the love we find along the way. A powerful beginning to what will hopefully bring a powerful series. Follow Dr. Cade Mathis, a Neurosurgeon,who was adoptive by a cruel and bitter man and Sabrina Thomas,a patient advocate as they navigate through an unexpected l...more
Monique
Sabrina Thomas and Kara Simmons are friends that work at Texas hospital in Dallas. The ladies are both fighting demons of their past and looking for love. Dr. Cade Mathis (notable neurosurgeon) and Tristian Landers (award winning journalist/blogger) not only made moves in their respectful career fields but were easy on the eye. Interactions at the hospital would bring them all together but could love keep them.

Ray includes issues of adoption, abandonment, forgiveness, and acceptance in this stor...more
Lesley
This is the second book I've read by this author and I can't get over how different the books were. Even though the book's description is all about Cade and Sabrina, it feels like more of the book is devoted to Kara and Tristan. I really didn't mind it because both stories were good, but I felt like the book went off track a little near the end in an attempt to wrap everything up. There was some good romance, but she definitely wrote steamier scenes in the last book I read from her.

Overall, if...more
Shh I'm reading!
This was an unusual book in that it focused on 2 relationships equally and not in an anthology style. Kara and Sabrina are best friends who each find the love of their lives and go through a series of sort of trials to get their HEA. I liked the pacing and that the story wasn't overtly sexual, which gave me time to learn about the characters. Unfortunately, some of the character nuances were missing for me so they felt one dimensional. That was a big downfall in Kara and Tristan's tale. My other...more
Mary
Dec 31, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Kara and Sabrina are two professional women who are trying to live their lives the best they can. They have both have experienced hurt and betrayal from those who are supposed to protect them. In comes Tristan to show Kara the true meaning of trust and love. While Sabrina shows Cade that the past doesn't have define him and trust is possible.

Like every Francis Ray book I read, this one kept my attention from beginning to end. This book made me happy, sad, and mad all at the same time. She told...more
Darlene
4.5 stars. It got a lil sappy for me at the end but otherwise a good book!!
Thora
This is the best book I've read in while! I loved it! A must read!
Grace
I really enjoyed this love story with the touch of mystery that surrounded it.
Kesha
Entertainment from cover to cover. Two concurrent love stories intertwine with dramatic twists and turns. Dr. Cade Mathis is a bitter, yet competent doctor who developed a hard exterior due to his adoptive parents abuse. Sabrina Thomas slowly breaks down those barriers with an unusual twist. Tristan is a thoughtful ladies' man who finds himself rescuing Kara from her heartless mother's grasp. Bedtime was postponed until this read was completed.
Janie
Won this book in the giveaway, not normally something I would see myself picking, but I am glad that I did win it. I started it yesterday evening and finished it around 2am last night. It was really good and I couldn't put it down. The author pulled everything together so precisely that it was like I was pulled into the book and was along for the ride as another character. Very well done!
Pearl
This was a wonderful emotionally powerful tale about the families we build, the choices we make, and how we find love and family along the way. Francis Ray did a superb job introducing the characters and engaging their roles. There was some hurtful moments, strong compassion, laughs and tears. I really didn't want to see it end, but it was a beautiful ending.
Cocoa Faye
Loved this story. Kara's mom is way out of order. Reminds me of a lot of mama's I know. She wasn't concerned she was mean and hateful and selfish.Cade and Sabrina's situation is so close to what can happen when you sow your seed all over the place without thought of the consequences. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
Diane Savitz
Another good escapist read. I read this book over the course of a couple of days, half on a plane ride. I would agree that many of the plot twists were not unexpected, but the writing was solid, the characters distinct and enjoyable, and I looked forward to continuing to read it. Nice for some time out of real life.
Tiana
This is the first novel by Francis Ray that I have read. Despite knowing where the story was going the writing kept me reading to see how it would get there. Francis Ray is an awesome storyteller. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss the novel with her later in the month.
Kimella Davis
I really enjoyed this book. It was very well written... I loved the way all of the characters were portrayed. It was like you could picture well known actors playing the parts.... I love to read about successful women and men of color. I would def' recommend this book...
Alison Wizer
I got this book through a Goodreads giveaway and finished it in just a few days. I love Chick Lit and this one didn't disappoint. Plenty of romance, two dreamy men and a little mystery helped me fly through it. Predictable but good entertainment on a rainy afternoon.
BW Diva

I really enjoyed this book I like how Sabrina & Kara found love & Cade found love also because he had such a terrible childhood ....I would suggest this book to other readers you will not be disappointed
Hope
Excellent read. Francis Ray never disappoints. I enjoyed the storyline and the cast of characters that were introduced in this book. Can't wait to read the next installment!

Bella
I just stayed up til 4am to finish. A lot jam packed in this book but I like how it all connects. I loved Mrs.Ray bringing Madison & Zach in the story. Great romance/fiction read.
Romance Novel Junkies web promotions. 1 5 Jun 11, 2012 08:49PM
Sizzling Hot Book Reviews: When Morning Comes 2 13 May 22, 2012 08:00PM
Kimberla Lawson Roby review of When Morning Comes 1 8 Jan 26, 2012 01:56PM
  • The Secret She Kept
  • Sanctuary Cove (Cavanaugh Island, #1)
  • Fire And Desire
  • Taming the Wolf
  • King's Passion
  • Destiny's Embrace (Destiny's, #1)
Died July 2, 2013.

Francis Ray was a New York Times and USA Today bestselling African-American writer of romance novels. Her literary fiction series – Taggart and Falcon, the Invincible Women, Grayson Family of New Mexico, and Grayson Friends – have consistently made bestseller's lists. She was born in Richland, Texas, and studied nursing, receiving a bachelor's degree from Texas Woman's University...more
More about Francis Ray...
Until There Was You (Graysons of New Mexico, #1) Only You (Graysons of New Mexico, #5) Dreaming of You (Graysons of New Mexico, #3) Irresistible You (Graysons of New Mexico, #4) You and No Other (Graysons of New Mexico, #2)