Start by marking “Astigirl” as Want to Read:

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  21 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Far from the grownup she thought she would be, Tweet Sering, 30-plus and tormented by a raging discontent with stale notions of how one must live, strips herself of the trappings of adulthood—no job, no savings, no insurance, and not even a credit card—and resolves to begin growing up again.

In this memoir that is by turns sharply funny, intelligent, outspoken, but also pa
Published (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Astigirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Astigirl

Jan 10, 2012 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women in their 20's to 30's, or women undergoing "quarter-life crisis"
Recommended to Tina by: Flipreads
Original post at One More Page

When the new year rolled around, I was more than ready to start a new book, eager to start filling my 2012 shelf. However, it felt like the books I was starting weren't really making the cut. I couldn't really get into it. It may have been just some kind of New Year blues or something -- I don't know. I received Astigirl as a review copy from Flipside on the first day of work and was all set to read it later in the month. Until decided to take a peek at it after w
JL Torres
Disclaimer -- I was tasked to judge 3 books for the Essay Category for the 1st Filipino Reader's Choice Award and here's my short review of Astigirl, one of the finalists:

For some reason, I enjoyed reading this book. While It’s a Mens World by Bebang Siy felt like its more grounded containing mostly personal narrative of life snippets, Astigirl by Tweet Sering is less earth-bound, unashamedly pulling the reader upwards into the clouds with life lessons and empowering reflections. Actually, I did

Original post here.

I am not a very big fan of non-fiction for one simple reason: books from this genre tend to bore me. Save for memoirs or biographies of people whose lives I find remarkable or extraordinary (which are quite few), or accounts of specific periods in history (e.g. Holocaust period) that interest me, or self-help/advice books that I could learn from at any given period (e.g. the What to Expect series, starting from when I was pregnant), I generally stay away from non-fiction.

Kat de leon
Astigirl is a collection of blog entries by Tweet Sering, author of Wander Girl. It documents her growth from the girl she was before to the girl she is today.

There's a lot of stories including in the book that a lot of us can relate to; reading this seemed as if I was reading my own journals, really. What's great about this book is that Sering was able to truly capture what it's like when one wanders off the beaten path and explores the world on their own. It's smart, funny, honest and really
I love how random Filipino words makes it to her prose, making it really authentic. Nice insights on the dogmas of being a woman and a man, and how that affects girls settling down and getting married rather than chasing their dreams.
Every astigirl should read this book! :)
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
Miriam Garcia
Miriam Garcia marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Reina marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Gene marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Niña marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Dana marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Judea Tadeo
Judea Tadeo marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Aliana B.
Aliana B. marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Nin added it
Dec 03, 2013
Zim marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Maria Dianne
Maria Dianne marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Chibivy marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012