Electrified Sheep: Glass-eating Scientists, Nuking the Moon, and More Bizarre Experiments

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  254 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"Perfect summertime reading—preferably with a friend nearby who can be constantly interrupted with unsettling facts.” —Daily Mail (UK )

Benjamin Franklin was a pioneering scientist, leader of the Enlightenment, and a founding father of the United States. But perhaps less well known is that he was also the first person to use mouth-to-mouth resuscitationon anelectric-shock v...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Electrified Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Electrified Sheep

Jess
Human kind is unbelievable. This book made me physically sick to my stomach numerous times. Fantastic!
Michael
Quick, what mad scientist first revived a shock victim using mouth-to-mouth resuscitation? And who was the victim? Answer: The scientist was Ben Franklin, and the victim was a chicken. And that’s just one of the weird stories in this collection.
Brian Clegg
It’s difficult to read this title without thinking of Philip K. Dick’s story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which was (very loosely) translated in the movie Blade Runner. Actually it’s difficult to read the title of this book at all because of strangely wordy cover. But what’s inside is not a freak show, but rather an exploration of some of the more bizarre experiments that scientists have in all honest decided to take on.

This is a field that is already covered by the igNobels (annual award...more
Jeanine
Jan 17, 2012 Jeanine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Geeks like me
Shelves: non-fiction, science
Not as good as the first book, Elephants on Acid. Maybe if you read this book first it wont be so disappointing. The book rehashes some of what was said in the first book and honestly I would advise people to read the first book and skip this one.
Michelle
Some good stories, some dumb ones, some funny ones, some I didn't even want to read. Kind of a mixed bag.
Donald Armfield
This is A 3.5 rating the opening studies are extremely boring.

Chapter 1: Electric Bodies
The study of electric goes to the animals one thing I will remember next time the lights go out with no sign of a storm, then that is pay back from the pigeons.

Chapter 2: Nuclear Reactions
Much better section the things scientist to with Atomic Bombs will definitely leave your jaw with awh stuck.

Chapter 3: Deceptive Ways
Very boring!

Chapter 4: Monkeying Around
Scientist trying to make monkeys civilized and why...more
Rebecca
Boese collects some very interesting experiments here. And some that are less interesting than gross. I liked the book and I found it fascinating in places but I squirmed a little in places too. The experiments are grouped together in chapters so the similar ones are together but there are short little stories with headings every few pages or so, so it is a good book to sit down and read for a while or if you only have a few minutes at a time. Everything here was done in the name of science and...more
Paul
A collection of mad, foolhardy and gross scientific advancements that have been made by scientists that are on the very edge of the scientific community.

Covers people who have eaten all manner of things, have poisoned themselves, have tried to tech chimp to become low IQ worker and pushed their own bodies to the limits of what they could do.

The chapter on electricity is fascinating, as this was an age of discovery. The psychology chapter has been covered in greater detail in other books, but fit...more
Sara Gray
This was a fairly engaging series of short essays and stories about various "mad" scientists and the experiments that made them (in)famous. Josh and I especially enjoyed the ones about toxinologists who let themselves be bit by black widow spiders and other creepy crawlies. I could have done without the introductory "stories" that headed each chapter, as they ended up being fairly redundant. The author also had a hard time closing each chapter, ending on a pat or silly concluding sentence that w...more
Talia
Alex Boese presents an interesting book about some of the incredibly odd and often times disturbing things people have done in the name of science. I particularly enjoyed the section about electricity and the development of our understanding of it today. Due to this book, I've lost all respect for Thomas Edison and the heinous things he did to animals. Many of the experiments described in the book were very fascinating, but some just grossed me out and left me shaking my head. An enjoyable read,...more
Brendan
I found this book less enjoyable than Elephants on Acid. Boese seemed to dwell more on the history of the experiments leading to a dryer read. Also, many of the "experiments" talked about in this book aren't truly bizarre. That's not to say they are uninteresting, but I think Boese covered the cream of the crop in his first book leaving this one a a little disappointing. Boese did have some moments when his commentary lead me to laugh out loud, but generally this book was a pale shadow of its pr...more
Lucy
Interesting. Odd. Weird.
Be careful not to eat before some of the reading, or plan to eat afterward. Parts of this book may affect your gross-out factor.
Main chapters are: Electric bodies; Nuclear reactions; Deceptive ways; Monkeying around; Do-it-yourselfers.
It's amazing what scientists put themselves, their loved ones, and innocent animals through, often without any knowledge gained or progress made.
Michaeld
This was a very interesting book. From the time I picked it up, I couldn't put it down. Alex Boese covered a lot of quirky research starting from the late 1700's - some of them I couldn't believe, so I had to dig deeper (I ended up confirming the text).

Very fun and interesting read. If enjoy understanding where and how things jump-started, this book is that with humor inserted.
Gem
Much the same as Elephants on Acid, and so I didn't manage to finish it this time round. I might re visit at some point, but it's nothing new so I'm not hugely fussed.
Swati Rane levendovszky
I love this book, I have not finished it yet but am almost there. It talks about different scientific experiments men conducted on their paths to discovering great things and also failing in their quests. It is humbling to know the passion that drives us and also makes you uneasily aware of the times when we just crossed the boundaries that define a scientific experiment.
Dawn Stricker
I almost gave it three stars because some of it is difficult to read. I reconsidered though as it is well written and interesting stuff. It's not Alex Boese's fault some of it is so cringe worthy and nauseating.
Valerie
I actually got bogged down. I wasn't finding the stories as interesting as I had hoped, and something about the writing bugged me. I'll probably finish it eventually. But onward, through my reading list.
Emma

Interesting and fun complication of odd stories. The book lacked any form of analysis. It felt as if it was just story after story. But fun :)
Shannon
Fun. Engaging after the chapter about electricity. I loved the chapter about people who tried to kill themselves for science.
Beth Ann
my "at work during lunch" book - it took me a while. Really interesting, though, a strong stomach is necessary in some parts.
Teresa
Very interesting stuff. Unfortunately, I'm not remembering a lot of it. I wish I could put sticky notes in my brain.
James Montgomery
Took a bit for me to get into, however, when I did there were quite a few fascinating stories.
Brian
Very entertaining book. If you enjoy the realm of the odd, you will like this book.
Sally Richards
Another of Boese's excellent books! An entertaining read all the way through!
Alanna
Lots of interesting experiments presented in humorous form.
Floyd
Floyd marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Goodreads Librari...: Page count adding 2 27 Jan 19, 2014 11:15AM
  • Smoking Ears and Screaming Teeth
  • Free Radicals
  • Mad Science: Einstein's Fridge, Dewar's Flask, Mach's Speed, and 362 Other Inventions and Discoveries that Made Our World
  • How To Fossilise Your Hamster: And Other Amazing Experiments For The Armchair Scientist
  • The Amazing Story of Quantum Mechanics: A Math-Free Exploration of the Science that Made Our World
  • What Are You Optimistic About?: Today's Leading Thinkers on Why Things Are Good and Getting Better
  • The Story of Earth: The First 4.5 Billion Years, from Stardust to Living Planet
  • Science Ink: Tattoos of the Science Obsessed
  • Theo Gray's Mad Science: Experiments You Can Do At Home - But Probably Shouldn't
  • Storm Kings: America's First Tornado Chasers
  • Irrationality
  • Abominable Science!: Origins of the Yeti, Nessie, and Other Famous Cryptids
  • Missed Periods and Other Grammar Scares: How to Avoid Unplanned and Unwanted Grammar Errors
  • The Numbers Game: The Commonsense Guide to Understanding Numbers in the News, in Politics, and in Life
  • The Casebook of Forensic Detection: How Science Solved 100 of the World's Most Baffling Crimes
  • The Goldilocks Enigma: Why Is the Universe Just Right for Life?
  • Bird Sense: What It's Like to Be a Bird
  • Biochemistry
Alex Boese holds a master's degree in the history of science from UC San Diego. He is the creator of museumofhoaxes.com. He lives near San Diego.

source: http://us.macmillan.com/author/alexboese
More about Alex Boese...
Elephants on Acid: And Other Bizarre Experiments Hippo Eats Dwarf: A Field Guide to Hoaxes and Other B.S. The Museum of Hoaxes Elephants on Acid