4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Adefinitive, absorbingaccount of the Egyptian revolution, written by a Cairo-based Egyptian-American reporter for Foreign Policy and The Times (London), who witnessed firsthand Mubarak's demise and the country's efforts to build a democracy

In early 2011, the world’s attention was riveted on Cairo, where after three decades of supremacy, Hosni Mubarak was driven from power....more
Published January 3rd 2012 by St. Martin's Press

Stefanie
Technology and social media have altered so many activities, including the making and recording of history. Where it used to take some years to generate accounts of modern historical events, each of us can now 'live' historic moments in real time through blogs, Facebook, YouTube and other social media. The recent series of social and civic revolutions across the Middle East and northern African countries are excellent exemplars. Khalil, a journalist who has written for The Times, Foreign Policy...more
Matthew
If, as is sometimes said, journalism is the first draft of history, then this book is like a revised first draft of history. Most of the material comes from Khalil's personal experience, covering Egypt before, during, and after the revolution. The revision, I feel, does the reader a great favor. My memories of watching TV and checking Twitter during the Egyptian Revolution are spotty at best, but Khalil gives a more organized sense of what was going on.
Jeffrey Franklin Barken
This is a great overview of Mubarak's reign in Egypt, and the police state / apathetic human living conditions that ultimately made revolution necessary in 2011. The book then reports on the momentous daily battles for Tahrir Square in 2011. Despite the obviously uphill battle of achieving democracy in the Arab world, and some of the grotesque violence we've witnessed in more recent months, this book points out where Egyptians have reason to be proud of their struggle and offers a fair treatment...more
Max
Broad overview of the Egyptian Revolution of 2011. Journalistic accounts are often disappointing, so I wasn't expecting much of this book, but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, the author paints in broad strokes and it's mostly anecdotal, but within that framework, this is one of the better books that I've read. The anecdotes were interesting and exciting, and the description of the revolution, from a journalist's perspective, was quite useful. I enjoyed this and felt like I learned a lot.
Fray Close
Absolutely excellent. It's so readable and engaging, I couldn't put it down. For a huge story with a lot of history and tangents that could have been taken, I feel it hits the right balance between making the story accessible and informative. Love this book.
Mohamed
A good coverage of the Egyptian Revolution from an eyewitness especially his discussion of the reason that lead to the explosion. However some events especially before the fall of Mubarak seem rushed and not fully covered.
Amr
Excellent re-telling of the Egyptian Revolution from the ground. Personal accounts of what happened in the 18 days from January 25th till Mubarak step down with background information on the country and the region.
Kathleen
A very well-written first hand account of a journalist's experiences during the Egyptian revolution. Will definitely use this book when I teach social movements in the spring.
Dima the Driven
Good book, hard to put down. The only thing is that I had a hard time visualizing the scene taking place. Not very discriptive and does much oopen the imagination.
Justin Mitchell
The man was there, and he tells you what happened and why.
إسراء
*whisper* I hated the last part of the prologue.. :/
Jenny
A journalist's account of the 2011 Egyptian revolution.
Beverly
Excellent description of the revolution.
Carol Hammal
Carol Hammal marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
bekah
bekah marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
personas
personas marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Angie Emara
Angie Emara marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Mohammad
Mohammad marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014