Start by marking “Those Who Love Night” as Want to Read:
Those Who Love Night

Those Who Love Night (Yudel Gordon #5)

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
When Abigail Bukula, a young lawyer in the South African Justice Department, learns that the secret son of her aunt, who died in a massacre years ago, has been arrested by the Zimbabwean government, she races to his aid. She's as determined as ever but perhaps a bit naive as well. Accused of being a part of the so-called Harare Seven, her cousin is being held as a politica ...more
Published January 31st 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Those Who Love Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Those Who Love Night

Tuck
Sep 28, 2012 Tuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-africa, noir
a bit of a police/zimbabwean cia/lawyer procedural combined with south african history, mugabe freedom slash holocaust, and quirky plot of "big man" sexual traditions meeting modern age tribal mixing. about the plot though, too many BIG ASS HOLES and not enough lets-get-on-with-this-thing propulsion. interesting bits about zim prisons, inflation, south african humor and what it's like to drive a car in afria.

i had real problems with this goof ball book and it being so overwrought at times rolle
Maddy
Oct 18, 2015 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
PROTAGONIST: Abigail Bukula, prosecutor
SETTING: South Africa; Zimbabwe
SERIES: #2 of 2
RATING: 3.25

Abigail Bukula is a lawyer in South Africa who is well respected for her assertiveness in court. When she is called by a Zimbabwean lawyer named Krisj Patel to help free seven dissidents (“Harare Seven”) who had been picked up by that country’s Central Intelligence Organization (CIO), she at first says no. The CIO denied taking the dissidents; however, as their reputation for providing violent soluti
Danny
Apr 06, 2012 Danny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book in this series got rave reviews, so I thought I'd check out this one.

While it was definitely a change from Agatha Christie and P.D. James in some ways, in others it wasn't so far off. The bizarre romantic themes throughout reminded me of some love-lorn Christie characters. Or maybe just movies from the 1940s. I dunno.

The African politics, mostly modern (post-apartheid) South Africa and Mugabe's Zimbabwe, are an interesting setting for a mystery, though this isn't a typical mystery
Morenike Ayo-vaughan
A perfect combination of romance and mystery. You never see the twists and turns coming. I especially love how Wessel gives us clues in pieces, but we cannot even imagine how they all fit together. Enjoyed this book a lot!
Susan
Aug 26, 2015 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: zimbabwe
Not too many Zimbabwean mysteries around - this book I think was informative and interesting, kept my attention - about the realities of life in post-apartheid Africa.
Booknblues
Nov 15, 2015 Booknblues rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, africa, series
A new series, I discovered set in South Africa. Only a few books in the series so far, but each one is quite satisfying.
Julie
Nov 01, 2015 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story had an interesting twist but the relationship between the protagonist and the CIO agent was clearly written by a man. The descriptions of her motivations were horrible.
Monica
I really liked The October Killings, but found this disappointing. The setting was well done - vivid descriptions of life and events in South Africa and Zimbabwe. I liked the characters of Yudel, the prison psychologist, and his wife a lot. Where it fell apart for me was the way Abigail, a strong, intelligent woman, became a total ditz with men - jealous and unsure of herself with her husband, helplessly (well, almost) attracted to the dynamic head of the Zimbabwe Central Intelligence force.

It w
Kate
Mar 01, 2012 Kate rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was going to give this 2 stars because it was ok, but in hindsight it wasn't okay at all.

Authors, please don't give me an accomplished (by description) female lead that ends up being weak, silly, attracted to bad men in powerful positions that can buy her things, and entirely dependent on men for any sort of success.

Yay.
Gina
Apr 01, 2012 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engrossing mystery set in present day Zimbabwe. A successful South African government prosecutor, Abigail Bakula, is asked to assist her long lost cousin. He has been arrested for anti-government activities and has disappeared. She is helped in her quest by an older white South African friend and his wife.
Mark Levine
Mar 15, 2012 Mark Levine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More novel than mystery.Deals with the abiguities of life-right wrong truth etc.Details governmental use of THE BIG LIE as perpetrated by dictatorships.
Linda
May 08, 2012 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Intriguing situation in a grim and exotic setting (Zimbabwe) but ruined by soap opera-ish narrative. Ending is clunky, as if writer just gave out. Not so good.
William
Interesting setting of Zimbabwe. Good character development.
Edna
Oct 12, 2012 Edna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked it a lot--will read more from Wessel Ebersohn!
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Poppy
Poppy marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Booknblues
Booknblues rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Erica Green
Erica Green marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Sarah Berman
Sarah Berman marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Sheryl R
Sheryl R marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
GARY
GARY rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2016
Nina Wendt
Nina Wendt rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Donna Davidsen
Donna Davidsen marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 27, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Nkosilathi Shangwa
Nkosilathi Shangwa marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Bill Berger
Bill Berger rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Yudel Gordon (5 books)
  • A Lonely Place to Die (Yudel Gordon, #1)
  • Divide the Night