Start by marking “The Columnist: A Play” as Want to Read:
The Columnist: A Play

The Columnist: A Play

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  5 reviews
A new play from the Pulitzer- and Tony Award–winning author of Proof, coming to Broadway this April

In midcentury America, newspaper columnists are kings—and Joseph Alsop wears the biggest crown. Joe sits at the nexus of Washington life: beloved, feared, and courted in equal measure by the very people whose careers and futures he determines. But as the sixties dawn and Amer
Published April 24th 2012 by Faber & Faber (first published April 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Columnist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Columnist

Joshua
The play's greatest strength is it's structure and plotting. By pulling out the choicest moments, Auburn creates a sense of the sweep of history even while spinning his characters through it. However, the main character remains somewhat of a mystery, even by the end, overshadowed by his more complex and compelling brother. A lesser work in many respects than Proof, but expertly plotted and not without it's surprising moments.
Rachelle Urist
A good play. Missed it in NY (along with several other plays whose scripts I just ordered, so I can keep up with what I'm not seeing). Offers the story of the columnist, Joseph Alsop, who not only influenced many thinkers of his generation (before and after the Vietnam war) but also advised a number of presidents and cabinet members. He applauded Kennedy for staring down the Soviets in Cuba; he urged the surge to McNamara and Westmoreland in Vietnam; but his voice dimmed as the hippie generation ...more
Mattie Voorheis
I had never heard of Joe or Stewart Alsop before reading this, so the two stars I gave this book can represent each of them. Good guys to know, anecdotally. A fine piece, but mostly just made me want to re-read "Farragut North."
Jason
Totally engaged in this-I think it helps that I have a good grasp on history and I know who Joe Alsop is, but it's really well put together. Fully fleshed out characters, intense dialogue, and fascinating subject matter make this an all around great read.
Christopher Hendrix
Surely not Auburn at his best, but it's still David Auburn.
Interesting biographical representation of Joseph Alsop's life and career. I learned something, as is usually the case with an Auburn play. Enjoyable, funny, saddening, and a good read.
Aleigha Spinks
Aleigha Spinks marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Mb
Mb added it
Jun 11, 2015
David
David added it
May 13, 2015
Shannon McCarthy
Shannon McCarthy marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Emily McFarlan Miller
Emily McFarlan Miller marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Rea
Rea marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Proof Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus Skyscraper Fifth Planet and Other Plays The New York Idea