The Columnist: A Play

The Columnist: A Play

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A new play from the Pulitzer- and Tony Award–winning author of Proof, coming to Broadway this April

In midcentury America, newspaper columnists are kings—and Joseph Alsop wears the biggest crown. Joe sits at the nexus of Washington life: beloved, feared, and courted in equal measure by the very people whose careers and futures he determines. But as the sixties dawn and Amer...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Faber & Faber (first published April 10th 2012)

Rachelle Urist
A good play. Missed it in NY (along with several other plays whose scripts I just ordered, so I can keep up with what I'm not seeing). Offers the story of the columnist, Joseph Alsop, who not only influenced many thinkers of his generation (before and after the Vietnam war) but also advised a number of presidents and cabinet members. He applauded Kennedy for staring down the Soviets in Cuba; he urged the surge to McNamara and Westmoreland in Vietnam; but his voice dimmed as the hippie generation...more
Mattie Voorheis
I had never heard of Joe or Stewart Alsop before reading this, so the two stars I gave this book can represent each of them. Good guys to know, anecdotally. A fine piece, but mostly just made me want to re-read "Farragut North."
Jason
Totally engaged in this-I think it helps that I have a good grasp on history and I know who Joe Alsop is, but it's really well put together. Fully fleshed out characters, intense dialogue, and fascinating subject matter make this an all around great read.
Christopher Hendrix
Surely not Auburn at his best, but it's still David Auburn.
Interesting biographical representation of Joseph Alsop's life and career. I learned something, as is usually the case with an Auburn play. Enjoyable, funny, saddening, and a good read.
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Jacob
Jacob added it
Jun 23, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Alicia Carroll
Alicia Carroll marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Payam
Payam marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Daniel Page
Daniel Page marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Meadhbh Ryan
Meadhbh Ryan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Flora
Flora marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Spencer Bingham
Spencer Bingham marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Martofunes
Martofunes marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Proof Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus Skyscraper Fifth Planet and Other Plays The New York Idea