Start by marking “The Good Life: The Moral Individual in an Antimoral World” as Want to Read:
The Good Life: The Moral Individual in an Antimoral World

The Good Life: The Moral Individual in an Antimoral World

The Good Life is an engaging, reasoned look at American values: how the angry political right hijacks and corrupts ideas about morality, how the fringe political left abandons the moral outlook, and how antimoralism from many sources results in cruelty, harsh law, dangerous irrationality, corrupt religion, greed, and gross inequality, and undermines American democracy. Che ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about The Good Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good Life

Alan Hughes
Jun 24, 2014 Alan Hughes rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This was an enjoyable read which does suggest an alternative way of looking at morals and the moral individual. She does propose some ideas which accord with my view of the current changes in our culture. It is perhaps over long and her reliance on Freudian writers'support for some of the psychological insights do weaken her case.
Claudia
Oct 22, 2012 Claudia rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing
Who would have thought that an author of a homemaking book would also write a philosophical treatise about morality? Fascinating. Among her points are that there are four groups of people in the world: right-leaning antimoralists, left leaning antimoralists, those who disdain morality, and those who are genuinely moral. She writes a lot about how the American way of life, and the "offended narcissism" of modern life, contribute to a lack of morality across political persuasions. Interesting book ...more
Cheryl
Oct 05, 2012 Cheryl rated it it was ok
Liked the concept and feel like I should have been a sympathetic reader, but found it too idiosyncratic in its definitions, as well as too abstract ("the moral mind" is talked about as if it were an entity unto itself). I do like her attempts to reframe what is moral and take to task both the "cool" Left and the self-satisfied Right -- but could not get past the approach, which seemed to lack intellectual rigor.
Sylvia Johnson
Nov 09, 2013 Sylvia Johnson rated it liked it
Shelves: morality
I especially liked the first part of the book as it rings true and gave me much food for thought. However the last part sometimes felt like a harangue against scientists and psychologists whom she feels should not speak about ethics since it is not their field. She feels that they are leading our society away from true morality.
Irus
Sep 17, 2012 Irus rated it did not like it
I started this book over the weekend. Almost immediately I was bored and annoyed. I was going to try and push through, but instead I read this review (link below) and am calling it a done deal.

Victor
Mar 31, 2016 Victor rated it did not like it
Couldn't get passed the first two chapters. Full of theories based on philosophical opinions. Should've had case studies to support since the topic is interesting.
False Millennium
Jan 29, 2013 False Millennium rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
Very difficult to read, and it wasn't the subject matter. She has a very flat writing style and the topic (which is interesting) never really comes to life.
David Keith
too difficult to follow
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
GONZA
GONZA marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Tinor Simon
Tinor Simon marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Kressel Housman
Kressel Housman marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Min
Min added it
Jul 10, 2015
Amanda
Amanda rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2015
Terami
Terami rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2015
Jacara Chas
Jacara Chas marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Karen Roman
Karen Roman marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Karen Merrifield
Karen Merrifield marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2014
Jan Bloss
Jan Bloss rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2014
Kev
Kev rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2014
Adrienne Olejnik
Adrienne Olejnik marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014