Start by marking “Think Big” as Want to Read:
Think Big

Think Big

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  103 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Art is so much more than easels and paintbrushes as this delightful new picture book by two exciting talents makes clear. Follow along as a classroom of exuberant young kids explore art and the power of creativity in its most varied forms-painting, music, writing, cooking, performing ... there's no end to where their imaginations can take them! The lilting poetry of Liz Ga ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published June 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Think Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Think Big

Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonThe Dot by Peter H. ReynoldsIsh by Peter H. ReynoldsMouse Paint by Ellen Stoll WalshArt & Max by David Wiesner
Children Books About Art
85th out of 87 books — 82 voters
Danny's Drawing Book by Sue HeapChalk by Bill ThomsonHarold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett JohnsonJourney by Aaron BeckerMatthew's Dream by Leo Lionni
Picture Books About Characters Drawing
36th out of 51 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Danica Midlil
"Ready Set? Make Art!"
Kudos for little boys knitting!
Amy Musser
Get out your art supplies and put on your thinking cap, it’s time to make art with the creative preschoolers in this book. As the kids put together all the elements of their school play in the beautiful illustrations, from painting sets, playing music, learning the dances, and even making snacks for the audience, Scanlon’s spare, rhyming text pushes the story along at a skipping pace. These kids all come to the same conclusion, it's fun to “Make art!”

Scanlon’s brief text, just a few words per pa
Linda
Whenever I browse in libraries or on Goodreads and in bookstores, I am on the lookout for books that the teachers with whom I work can use. I generally know their class themes, or individual units for each child and keep some of that in my mind while I look. This book fits one particular teacher well because she always has her class create and host a Halloween haunted house for others to visit and in the spring, her students participate in a play performed for the entire school (these are 1st-2n ...more
Laura Salas
This is a fantastic celebration of all forms of creativity, told in terse verse. The art shows kids preparing for a school production, and the text names the activity:

excerpt:

No thought
Too great
You think
We'll wait

I love that last couple I shared there because the waiting is important. If you're reading this book aloud, it might be tempting to zip through it, because it's so short. But don't. Read slowly. Let kids study the picture. Help them figure out what
Anina
Think big, have heart, deep breaths, make art!
Samantha
A celebration of all forms of art. Atwork is detailed and showcases kids of many different skin tones. The children are drawn in a way that make them look old time-y and sweet. Text is simple and colorful. The story and pictures build upon each other and the culmintae into a big art show for parents.

Although this title is not one I'd recommend for a read aloud, it is visually stunning and would be a great display item or book suggestion for readers/teachers interested in art.
Jenny
Very simple rhyming text. The illustrations really add a lot to this book. Shows children engaged in many types of artistry: painting, sculpting, making music, dancing, singing, sewing, and acting to name a few. I especially like the expressions on their faces. Fun to read this in the summertime when my kids and I are trying to do a formal art project at least once a week, music practice daily and lots of informal singing, dancing, painting, drawing, etc.
Mary
While I loved the illustrations, I think many children would find it difficult to understand the arc of the story. I feel like the content (creating a performance) and the execution (2 words per page) didn't match up - it seemed like a book for younger children but with content related to an elementary school student's experience. While I appreciate the message about the importance of making art, I was a bit disappointed in the story.
Katie Plumley
* Inspire children to "think big", although this book is a little lackluster with the text. The drawings carry it.

* Use as part of a unit on creative expression.

* Could be used to build community. Everyone works together to produce a play in the book. Could show how working together makes us able to accomplish something much bigger than ourselves.

* K-1
Jennifer Kaap
simple yet inspiring
Fjóla
Oct 07, 2012 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-5 school age kids, inspire creativity
This is a good book that highlights creativity. My just turned 4 year old son grabbed it at the library, drawn in by the colorful illustrations, but I doubt he really got the take-home message of the story. In fact, despite being short on words, this is really a book to inspire older kids, or at least kids of school age.
Adrienne Furness
Liz hits it out of the park again. I feel like maybe I should read this one out loud at the library every morning to get the day off to a good, productive start. I particularly like "You think/We'll wait." Newton's illustrations are a joy, too, expanding the text, and I love the mixed media and slightly retro feel.
Leandra Cate
Well, the pictures are cute and the idea is awesome (encouraging an enthusiasm for creative expression/dreaming of the future) but in execution the text is just not that interesting to read. My 17 month old seemed bored with it and didn't request a re-read. Maybe she's just too young?
Aleisha Pendleton
This book was adorable. I really enjoy the creativity that the children had. I think it would be a great boo to read during or before an art lesson, to open kids up to the idea of thinking big. I really enjoyed the illustrations.
Melissa
I find these books with the short rhyming phrases are tricky to read out loud, but I love all the different kinds of creative endeavors displayed throughout the book, and the "Brave heart / Make art!" message is a winner.
Ed
I thought this was a really good book, with some great illustrations. Loved the endpapers, with all the art supplies at the beginning. I thought the rhymes were charming, and the pictures were a lot of fun.
Brindi
I really like this book, but not sure if it will work in a story time. Young children might not understand what is going on in the pictures. It would be great to set out for an art program though.
Emily
A great short book that briefly touches on different arts (dancing, photography, music, knitting, etc.), would be great for a Kindergarten/ECE "when I grow up" project.
Carol Royce Owen
Young children are encouraged to use their imagination to celebrate the Arts - in music, dance and art as they plan and prepare for a play.
Julie
love love love this!
a great introduction to the different styles of art. great for toddlers, pre-k, or a music and movement class.
Ana
Loved these little guys' creative efforts and their endearing end result. Loved Vanessa Newton's style of illustration, too.
Linda
A fun picture book about how art and cooperation can combine to make something BIG!
Read  Ribbet
Scanlon celebrates the create process and the arts with well chosen words.
Digital art collage of gouache, charcoal & mixed media
Short phrases
Edward Sullivan
A simple, enjoyable celebration of creativity.
Charlotte
I love art and I root for Liz. It's all good.
Iman Al ajbari
Iman Al ajbari marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
All the World Noodle & Lou Happy Birthday, Bunny! The Great Good Summer In the Canyon