Start by marking “Cat Diaries: Secret Writings of the MEOW Society” as Want to Read:
Cat Diaries: Secret Writings of the MEOW Society

Cat Diaries: Secret Writings of the MEOW Society

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  96 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
An irresistible collection of short stories for cat lovers.

At the annual gathering of the MEOW society, cats of all kinds convene to share their stories and those of their ancestors. Chico, the smallest cat in the world, recounts stopping a crime. The Pirate Cat tells of the fateful day when he discovered a treasure while hunting for mice. And Georgio shares his delectable
Published April 27th 2010 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Cat Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat Diaries

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Who knew that cats secretly write diaries, and have been doing so for centuries? My favorite diary entry was "Miu, the Great Cat of Egypt". The picture of Miu with the dopey-looking dog is so funny. I also liked "Go-Go Goes Bananas," in which a well-meaning author takes his cat along to a book signing, with disastrous results. And, of course, "Library Cat". A humorous collection of cat tales that really should be read aloud to your cat (as I did!). I hope Betsy Byars writes another book of these ...more
M.M. Hudson
I decided to read Cat Diaries because well, I am a cat lover. I thought the idea of cat's having a diary in the first place sounded rather cute. The premise for children would be funny or so I thought.

Some of the stories were cute and I appreciated the humor in them but most were so-so. Also, I simply could not figure out why the book started with this big convention and then nothing but the reading of the stories by the various cats. It seemed there should have been more action or something. Th
Lorna
Dec 20, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of short stories written from the perspective of a society of cats who write. Has great vocabulary and high interest for progressing readers. Loved the messages about why we write--to tell stories of our experiences, and how we benefit from writing and sharing as a community.
Josiah
Jan 25, 2012 Josiah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very positive surprise for me. Only eighty pages in length, written in comparatively large font and with a high illustrations-to-text ratio, I wasn't expecting such a solidly crafted story, one that ranks up there with some of the best highlights from Betsy Byars's body of work. The short stories that make up this book are very brief, averaging only a few pages apiece, but nearly all of them contain unexpected twists and sparkle with effervescent wit, and the characters are all ...more
Elizabeth Meadows
My daughter wanted me to read this about three years ago, when she was in elementary school. Now she can't remember it. It was told from the perspective of cats retelling their various adventures at an annual meeting. The premise was cute and a couple of their stories were better than the rest.
Dolores
3 1/2 stars. This was very cute, but a bit uneven. Some of the stories were very good, but some--not so much. I do think kids (especially cat lovers) will enjoy it.
Dawn
Once a year, cats around the world attend a meeting in an old abandoned theater to listen to stories written by cats. This group is called MEOW which stands for Memories Expressed in Our Writing. The stories are taken from journals that various cats have kept over the years. There are stories from a Gypsy cat, a pirate cat, a library cat and many others. The tales are shared to establish a kinship among cats and to honor the feline race. The cats enjoy the stories immensely and are sad when the ...more
Suzanne
Mar 10, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
It is difficult for me to rate so many different types of books. This is a beginning chapter book, and for its kind, very good. I looked at it to "fatten up" the library's beginning chapter books, and it will, but the vocabulary is carefully chosen and may be above some in reading group.

I enjoyed the anthology of cat stories crossing the centuries. Each cat has its own personality and distinct story. Byars does a clever job of threading the stories together by having cats meets and share their t
Justine Ngow
Jun 02, 2015 Justine Ngow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The diary entries by different cats were funny and interesting.
Very interesting read. It is a cute book
Bobbi
Cute idea. Short chapters. Fun and creative for animal lover.
Miss Amanda
gr 3-5
Colleen Vincent
This is a review of the short story, Library Cat, contained in this anthology. A cat finds a home at the public library, inspiration, and self esteem from famous cats throughout literature and history, such as Egyptian cats and the Cheshire cat. Shows how the library serves as an important place to learn about oneself and others in your species through literature and non-fiction.

To read a story about a real life library cat check out the story of Dewey, the Library Cat.
Sandy Brehl
Jan 17, 2012 Sandy Brehl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While a clever approach to cats in various situations and time periods, I felt it was a bit slow to start. Once the chapter "journal entries" began, the variety and unique voice of each appealed. In some ways it reminded me of Van Allsburg's Harris Burdick, in that each chapter might launch a writer into more elaboration, additional journal entries for that particular cat, etc. I must say it is hard for me to feel any cat title tops the CatWings series.
Sharlet Mullen
This is more of a cat adventure story book. It is told through the perspective of different cats. The words really help you feel the cat’s feeling. On one night every year, cats in the MEOW Society, which stands for "Memories Expressed In Our Writing," gather to read from their diaries, hearing stories of a gypsy cat, a Caribbean pirate cat, a library cat, and many others.
Tracie
May 11, 2010 Tracie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elem
At a huge annual meeting of the MEOW Memories Expressed in Our Writing) Society, cats listen to diary excerpts, contemporary and historical, of other cats. The readings inspire them after the meeting to reconvene next year with their own great stories.
Amy
Written well and pretty differently than most kid's chapter books. Didn't love the device of the meeting to start/end the book - that was confusing to read aloud - but otherwise the stories were fun.
April
Jul 21, 2010 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, 2010
Great beginning chapter book. It's also good for reluctant readers since each chapter is a complete story, so kids don't feel like they have to read the entire book.
Allison Gregory
i liked the book cause it was fun to read it was nice to see what cats would write in their diaries if they had one.
Diamond
Wendy
May 20, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!
Helen
Helen rated it it was ok
Aug 24, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it did not like it
Jul 30, 2016
Annie
Annie rated it it was ok
Aug 04, 2016
Robin
Robin added it
Jul 10, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Mandie
Mandie added it
Jun 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Betsy Byars has written over sixty books for young people. Her first published in 1962 and since then she has published regularly. Her books have been translated into nineteen languages and she gets thousands of letters from readers in the United States and from all over the world.

She has won many awards. Among them are the Newbery Medal in 1971 for her novel The Summer of the Swans, the American
More about Betsy Byars...