Start by marking “Trance” as Want to Read:
Trance

Trance

1974: A tiny band of self-styled urban guerrillas, calling itself the Symbionese Liberation Army, abducts a newspaper heiress, who then abruptly announces that she has adopted the guerrilla name "Tania" and chosen to remain with her former captors. Has she been brainwashed? Coerced? Could she be sincere? Why would such a nice girl disavow her loving parents, her adoring fi ...more
Published April 18th 2006 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Trance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trance

Mike
Mar 12, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the real literary masterpieces of the last decade, Trance singlehandedly gives the lie to anyone who would call the novel dead. No one would ever mistake Christopher Sorrentino's career for those of Don DeLillo, Denis Johnson, or Philip Roth in terms of prolificacy, but Trance is every bit as strong a novel as Libra, Tree of Smoke, or American Pastoral.
Greg
Apr 23, 2009 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I had a complicated reaction to this book. I liked the historical fiction part of it, in the same way that I liked American Pastoral and Libra, but it was kind of a mash up of those two books. It took a pretty similar kind of experience as Roth's book (or to be fair this was about Patty Hearst / SLA while Roth's book was about a similar kind of experience but from a more middle class stand-point, like from the parents view of one of the other kids involved in the SLA), and like Delilo's book it ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Incredibly interesting ideas, but this book is seriously lacking in emotion and character development. Because of this, it gets really boring during many of its scenes and starts dragging on.
Lynne Wright
the review sounded great... a gripping portrait-of-America fictionalized imagining of the Patty Hearst kidnapping of the late 70s.

Don DeLilloesque in scope, with snide little dashes of humour throughout.

And yet... I just. couldn't. get. into. it.

Forced myself rather grumpily through all 500+ pages.

oh well.

next!
Sean Owen
Jan 31, 2014 Sean Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a big book both in physical heft and in scope. On the first count it turns out to be bigger than it should have been, but the second count is where Sorrentino succeeds. Those looking here for a fairly straight forward fictionalization of the Hearst kidnapping scandal will be disappointed. The Hearst stand in character is there, but there's so much else going on she often recedes to the periphery. The focus of the book is the failure and hollowness of radical politics and the place Americ ...more
Nicole
Oct 08, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic and substantive novel about the 60s, the SLA and our country's response, and Patty Hearst. Very funny at times, and with smooth and creative use of different voices. Others compare the author to Roth and Dellilo but he puts me in mind of Boyle and Powers. Recommended.
Sorrentino fictionalizes the story of Patty Hearst, exploring the aftermath of her kidnapping. The central mystery in Patty Hearst's life, of course, is why she chose to identify with her kidnappers and become an armed revolutionary. Sorrentino dances around this question, implying that Patty, here called Tania most of the time, doesn't even really know herself. I think the unknowability of that transformation is part of his point, but I wanted him to offer some sort of answer of why she does wh ...more
Ron
Nov 14, 2012 Ron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sorrentino has given us a novel that evokes the surreal and trance-like aspects of the early work of DeLillo, creating a masterpiece that evokes the time, place, and mood of a country that was on the brink of a disaster. He fleshes out the details of an event that was both well and poorly documented at the time--the media and the country were obsessed, though lacking in information--and is wholly sympathetic to radical causes and beliefs (despite the many erroneous reviews that believe the oppos ...more
Anthony
An interesting, if long-winded novel. Huge, deep themes combine with some dark humor. I liked it but found some sections to be unnecessary. Lots of loose ends and a large amount of side characters. The focus is sprawling, which both helps and hinders the book. It's definitely not for everybody, but I think many readers can appreciate it.
Gerhard Schoeman
Simply superb. Sorrentino is a genuine successor of one of the most powerful authors I have read, Don DeLillo. I can't recommend this book strongly enough.
Jenni
Apr 25, 2011 Jenni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was SUPER SUPER SUPER long. And while I thought the story would be interesting (and it was at times) it was SUPER SUPER SUPER long. I skipped about 100 pages in the middle and didn't feel like I missed anything and had no problem with following the story lines. Could have been 200 pages shorter...
Ajk
Oct 03, 2013 Ajk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't really do reviews anymore, and I don't feel like doing a full review of this one. And while there are good parts of this book, it got really annoying that every single female character gets into radical politics because of some boy she liked.
Caroline Wooldridge
Boring is what I thought of this book. So much so I didn't make it past page 50. I thought it would be really interesting to read a novel dealing with Patty Hearst but this novel seemed uninterested in her. Oh well.
Maryelizabeth
Eh... Just couldn't get into this. Drawing on real-life evidence from the Hearst kidnapping case, the author riffs on the SLA's interior lives and makes them deadly dull in the process.
Jennifer Chin
Jul 16, 2007 Jennifer Chin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this book for a class. It was sooo long. I don't think any of us actually got through it. It gets two stars for being so detailed and clearly deeply-researched.
William
Jan 13, 2010 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Fictionalized" Patty Hearst, SLA, novel. Quite true to the facts, but one still doesn't understand Patty.
Mike
May 21, 2007 Mike rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how this got nominated for an NBA.
Eugenia Williamson
Wuzza! This one blew my gasket.
Richard Greenwald
one smart read......
amanda
admirable and disappointing
Kzargo
Kzargo marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Kaissi
Kaissi marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Debbie Stone
Debbie Stone marked it as to-read
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Florh
Florh marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Christa Conry
Christa Conry marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Fletcher
Fletcher marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Shane F
Shane F marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Phil
Phil rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2016
  • Holy Skirts: A Novel of a Flamboyant Woman Who Risked All for Art
  • The Collected Short Stories
  • The Unreal Life of Sergey Nabokov
  • Tours of the Black Clock
  • Negro with a Hat: The Rise and Fall of Marcus Garvey and His Dream of Mother Africa
  • The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual: A Historical Analysis of the Failure of Black Leadership
  • The Hundred Brothers
  • The Men's Club
  • A Carnivore's Inquiry
  • I Hotel
  • Blood Hina (Mas Arai, #4)
  • In Memoriam to Identity
  • Notable American Women
Christopher Sorrentino (born May 20, 1963) is an American novelist and short story writer of Puerto Rican descent. He is the son of novelist Gilbert Sorrentino and Victoria Ortiz. His first published novel, Sound on Sound (1995), draws upon innovations pioneered in the work of his father, but also contains echoes of many other modernist and postmodernist writers. The book is structured according t ...more
More about Christopher Sorrentino...