Start by marking “Gathering Flame” as Want to Read:
Gathering Flame

Gathering Flame (Mageworlds #4)

The Prequel to Mageworlds:

First their scoutships appeared above the outplanets. Raiding parties followed, then whole armadas bent on loot and conquest. The Mages break the warfleets that oppose them. They take entire planets. Who can stop them?

Not Perada Rosselin, Domina of Entibor. She's the absolute ruler of a rich world and all its colonies, but Entibor's space fleet is
Published July 15th 1995 by Tor Science Fiction (first published July 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Gathering Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gathering Flame

Feb 05, 2012 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is actually somewhere around 2.5 stars for me. I enjoyed it, but not as much as By Honor Betrayed (the other Mageworlds book I've read). Also, I requested it under the impression that it was the fourth in the series, which it technically is, but it is *actually* the *prequel* to the series. I am doomed to read the series out of order. Once again, the worldbuilding was interesting and the action decent, but I didn't like the characters nearly as much. Also, for some reason the use of the wor ...more
Jan 29, 2012 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is nicely done. This is written AFTER a 2nd reading of the book. It uses flashbacks to flesh out the prime characters (piecemeal). It now reads (to me) as a somewhat twisted take on Star Wars without the evil emperor with a human but young Yoda and his human friends taking on an empire of dark Jedi (mages).
Kari Chapman
Jan 07, 2014 Kari Chapman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This book is listed as the 4th book in the Mageworlds series, so I read books 1-3 first. Turns out that this book is actually a prequel to the first three books. While I would have preferred to read the books in story order, rather than publication order, at the same time it was rather fun reading this book knowing what would happen to many of the characters.

It was fun seeing all the almost side-characters from the first three books in their youth (not to mention people that hold assorted bad-gu
Jul 08, 2012 Shoshana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera, sci-fi
This fantastic prequel to the first three Mageworlds books follows Jos and Perada from their first meeting to the end of living Entibor and does a great job making up for their (understandable) lack of page time in the previous books. As well as showing their relationship and characters develop through that period, their backgrounds, as well as Ransome's, are filled in through short flashbacks at the end of each chapter, providing further insight into the original books-- Ransome's...quirks, for ...more
Teresa Carrigan
This is a prequel to the Mageworlds books. Don't read it before reading the main Mageworlds trilogy. All the Mageworlds books tend to switch point of view character far too often, but Gathering Flame is even more confusing because it also switches time period far too often. No, not flashbacks - actual chapters that suddenly are about one of the main characters but 10 or 30 years ago.

IMO the book would have been much more enjoyable if it just stuck to chronological order or used flashbacks. But t
Nanci Schwartz
Aug 05, 2012 Nanci Schwartz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved Jos and Perada's story, but the other plotlines didn't seem to come together as well as in the Mageworlds trilogy. (I felt several things were extraneous.) Still, it was an enjoyable read and shed light onto many of the characters in the trilogy, especially Errec Ransome. Perada was great, as were Tilly and Nannla, and I loved Jos. Nivome was an excellent villain (I just want to punch him in the face all of the time). My only other problem with this book is that now I want to see ...more
Aug 12, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are 7 books in this series. This book is the 4th when it first came out but it is actually the prequel to the series. I stared reading the series with this book first because I new this. I will now go on to read the rest of the series in order of publication. I read a couple of these books when they first came out but I never got to read the entire series. I came across the entire series in a used book store a few weeks ago and bought them all. This is Space Opera/Military Science Fiction ...more
Dec 29, 2013 Li rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, sf, read-in-2013
IMO, this suffers slightly by being the fourth in publishing order, but first in internal series chronology, as you know what happens next and the suspense is lessened as a result.

I enjoyed it, partly because it fleshed out the characters' backstories so much more, but I admit to liking the original trilogy much more.

FWIW, I still think reading in pub order is the way to go.
Oct 12, 2008 Talkswithwind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2000, sf
Space Opera! This is the story of Joss Metadi and the Domina of Entibor. Pieces of this have been hinted before this book, but this is the story that sets a lot of the Becca books up. There are more prequels to this one, but this is how 'known space' crystallizes from a group of separate nation-states into a larger political entity.
Aug 21, 2014 Noel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
easily my favorite of the series. no interest in the ones that occur after the original trilogy, but wouldn't have minded more with Perada and Jos
Libby rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Scott rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Aaron rated it it was ok
Apr 09, 2013
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2012
Will rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2008
David Ferrington
David Ferrington rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2010
Dave rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2011
Deborah rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Garth rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
Apr 17, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical prequel predictability, but still fun.
Owen rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2014
Thorin Palladino
Thorin Palladino rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Alan rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Elspeth rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2013
Philip rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2012
Amanda rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Lt rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2010
Shane Cooper
Shane Cooper rated it really liked it
May 02, 2008
Daniel rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Kirk Lowery
Kirk Lowery rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2011
  • The Phoenix in Flight (Exordium, #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • Curse of the Iris (The Jupiter Pirates, #2)
  • Night Train to Rigel (Quadrail, #1)
  • Spacer and Rat
  • Rules of Conflict (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #2)
  • City of Diamond
  • Necessity's Child  (Liaden Universe #16)
  • The Witches of Karres (The Witches of Karres, #1)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Sassinak (Planet Pirates, #1)
  • Levitating Las Vegas
aka Nicholas Adams (with James D. Macdonald), Martin Delrio, Robyn Tallis (with James D. Macdonald)

Debra Doyle has a doctorate in English literature. Together, she and James Macdonald have written numerous sf/f books. They live in Colebrook, New Hampshire.

* Mageworlds
* Circle of Magic
* Bad Blood

Series contributed to:
* Tom Swift IV
* Robert Silverberg's Time Tours
* Daniel M Pinkwater's Melvi
More about Debra Doyle...

Mageworlds (7 books)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2)
  • By Honor Betray'd (Mageworlds, Book 3)
  • The Long Hunt (Mageworlds)
  • The Stars Asunder: A New Novel of the Mageworlds