Start by marking “The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain” as Want to Read:
The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain

The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  333 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
"Compelling...A masterly feat...A magnificent, sweeping, authoritative, warm yet wry history."

--The Wall Street Journal

In this fascinating and intimate portrait of the Stuarts, author Allan Massie takes us deep into one of history's bloodiest and most tumultuous reigns. Exploring the family's lineage from the first Stuart king to the last, The Royal Stuarts is a panoramic
Published December 20th 2011 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Royal Stuarts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Royal Stuarts

Rebecca Huston
There are times when a book truly sucks, and this was one of them. Massie uses mostly fictional sources, and over-glamourizes his subjects, focusing more on racy stories than anything factual. Pity, as this one could have been so much more. I can't honestly recommend this one, as I found myself getting more annoyed the more that I read. There are far better books about the Stuarts out there. Given that the author is a newspaper tabloid journalist, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Not recommende ...more
Paul Pessolano
“The Royal Stuarts” by Allan Massie, published by Thomas Dunne Books.

Category – English History

This book could very easily been subtitled: “Off with their Heads”, Every King should have several Mistresses”, or “Let’s have another War”.

Allan Massie does a masterful job of telling how the Stuarts shaped the history of Great Britain. The reader must be informed though that this is a history book and is really geared to those that have an interest in the history of Great Britain but also the lineage
GoldGato
The Stuarts. Stubborn to the point of losing realms and heads (literally), they made quite the impact on the Scottish and English thrones. Allan Massie always has fun with his subjects and he clearly enjoys writing about this house of royals who originated in Brittany and eventually ruled a united Britain.

Family feeling may easily be extinguished when power is the prize.

This is a chronological examination of each reigning Stuart personality from Robert II of Scotland to the Young Pretender. The
Ruth
This was a very enjoyable read. I particularly appreciated how it lead the reader down the Stuart family tree. I love reading historical biographies and I've read a number about Mary, Queen of Scots, and Charles II and his father, as well as Mary and Anne, the daughters of James II, however, I really knew practically nothing about the early Stuarts nor what happened to the family after James II was kicked out of Britain. It just made all so much more sense to me, than reading individual biograph ...more
Diane
Jun 04, 2012 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a hard book for me to rate. It was very informative( I would rate a 5 star for this), not text book but finely tuned history-not a "story". I found it somewhat hard to read in terms of following the family lines-even though I'm familiar with the history(I would rate a 3 or 4 star for this). Took me much longer to read than usual because I followed up with all the footnotes cited in the back of the book. Massie is a good and thorough writer. I do recommend reading the "Envoi" chapter (the ...more
Melisende d'Outremer
I found the info on the James' lacking in substance as well - which is pretty much what I was looking for - not particularly interested in the Stuarts after Charles - and Mary, quite frankly, is a pain in the arse. Glad to see I was not the only one who couldn't rate it over two stars.
Sarah's Book Nook
My book blog ---> allthebookblognamesaretaken.blogspot.com

I keep trying to get beyond James VI/I, but I fear I never will. I picked this one up because I thought maybe if I read about the Stuart family, instead of just Great Britain AFTER James, it might make a difference. Sadly, it does not. James is really the last one who is interesting to me, I think because I kind of feel bad for him because he gets such crap for being 'undignified' for a king - I guess he was allowed to be a tipsy whene
Steve Stuart
I'm not a Scottish or royal history buff, by any means; I read this book because I share the same last name as the line of monarchs. That (lack of) background probably affected my enjoyment of the book a bit, as I wasn't familiar with all of the details of Scottish and English history and geography that were assumed. As a result, I read this book with Wikipedia at my elbow as a study guide. Unfortunately, I soon began to realize that the Wikipedia articles were usually about as engaging as and f ...more
C
Through this well-written historical account, Masse makes the volatile and intriguing politics of Western Europe, particularly Scotland and England, almost understandable – no small task. Though the genealogy gets a bit confusing at times due to the repetitious use of given names among historical personages, the author provides family trees at the beginning of the book to which the reader can flip back for reference. The book covers the Stuarts from their beginnings in Scotland to their inherita ...more
Kate
Jul 22, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, history
Eh. Maybe 2.5 stars.

I was excited to pick up this book, to read more about monarchs I had only read about tangentially. The format of one monarch per chapter appealed as I felt it would give the author a better chance to focus. I was left without as much information as I wanted. The personal lives of the monarchs were often just skipped over, which made keeping a lot of the people involved straight a difficult task (especially since so many shared names/titles). Massie is also a Mary apologist w
Cheryl
Mar 30, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because having read enough historical fiction, generally set in England and Scotland (especially Diana Gabaldon's wonderful series), I thought I would try to get more background on what led to the Jacobite rebellion. Plus, I was curious about Mary, Queen of Scots. She gets such mixed press, I wanted to see what a more historical fiction author would say.

I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised by the wealth of additional historical material the author incorporated, and I def
Glen Wiley
Nov 04, 2015 Glen Wiley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allan Massie's book is well researched and highly readable. He presents a very complex subject, the Stuart Family and its impact on Britain. If your interested in 17th century Britain this book is a must read.
Craig
Apr 08, 2015 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: european-history
Pretty much what the title of the book promotes. Unfortunately, it's one of those history books that seems to assume its readers come prepared with a decent background in the subject being profiled which in this case was not accurate for my British historical knowledge. And I was hoping for more interesting stories than what Massie offered. Had its moments, but too few and too far between.
Stuart
Jul 04, 2012 Stuart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, biography
An excellent overview of three hundred tumultuous and pivotal years in the history of Scotland and England. Keeping the focus on this extraordinary family and their dramatic, at times tragic, lives, the narrative still gives a good understanding of the politics and nature of the times. The book is well written and thorough, even given its brevity and wide scope.
From the rise of the Stuarts in Scotland, to Mary Queen of Scots, to the joining of the crowns, to the Civil War, to the Glorious Revolu
Kathleen
I wish there had been more focus on the Old & Young Pretenders.
Jessica
No bueno- an academic tone without the academic sources. It just doesn't work.
David
Feb 11, 2015 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good genealogical historical account of the Stuarts
Katharine Holden
Jul 05, 2015 Katharine Holden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting.
Georgina
Mar 28, 2016 Georgina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, historical
So far the only historical factual book I have listened to. I read this to give me a background sketch while reading the OUTLANDER series. Most definitely interesting however I think that this type of book should be READ as opposed to being listened to as I was always wanting to stop it and consult a family tree and notes, supplied, I am sure, in the written edition.
Would definitely read another of this author - but read and not listen to unless I knew more of the subject than I do about the JAM
Andrew Parnell
When will I learn that such a big subject in a single book, I'm going to be left still feeling vague.
Helen Carolan
Aug 11, 2015 Helen Carolan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this was a great and interesting read.the story of the Stuarts from their beginning in Britany to their ending with queen Anne. Easy to read. I especially enjoyed it as i knew nothing about the early Stuarts.
Sandra Strange
If you have Scottish ancestors, you really ought to read this well written account of the royal family of Scotland that ended up ruling England, then lost the throne because of their religious belief, mostly. From Mary Queen of Scots to Bonny Prince Charlie, the Stuarts were fascinatingly arrogant, intelligent, good looking and somewhat self destructive. Their history reveals interesting details of this crucial time in English history.
Karen Floyd
A decent overview the the Stewart dynasty from its earliest beginnings in Scotland to the death of Bonnie Prince Charlie and his brother. I didn't always agree with his readings of character (he has a romantic view of Mary Queen of Scots)and I'm a bit dubious about his citing Macaulay, Scott and Stevenson as sources, but on the other hand he doesn't claim to be writing a scholarly work. And he did pique my interest in reading more Scott.
Kelly
Aug 06, 2013 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The names and titles were difficult to remember. The genealogy chart included with the book was not sufficient enough to thwart confusion. Portraits of the historical figures depicted would have been exceptionally helpful in separating one James from the dozen or so other Jameses. Otherwise, a thorough historical account, albeit rather dry at times; nevertheless, worth the read for anyone excessively interested in English and Scottish history.
Maddy Barone
Jul 06, 2012 Maddy Barone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A history of the Stuart family from the early Middle Ages through Bonnie Prince Charlie's little brother's death in the 18th century. Unlike some heavy, boring "scholarly" tomes, this one is easy to read and understand. For someone who wants an overview of the history, this is perfect. An in-depth study would require several volumes. Here, history is presented in ways even the non-scholar can understand and relate to.
Maria
Jun 03, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well researched piece, very informative. Recommended for readers who are interested in royal history.
Not a bad overview of the Stuart dynasty. Of course, the problem with overviews is that there's always a lot of information that I've seen before, and the interesting parts tend to be too truncated to fit within the scope of the work at hand. Still, it's a good jumping-off place. And now I have a list of individuals whose biographies I want to look for.
Daniel Kukwa
A competent, easy to read, and well-organized history of the Stuart royal line of Scotland and England. It's not the most electrifying work of history, but it does a fine job recounting the lives of the earliest Stuart kings...the ones least known to common knowledge, and deserving of as much fame (or infamy) as their post-Elizabethan descendents.
Glittermystic
Nov 21, 2011 Glittermystic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure if this would be as dry as The Tudors, and was pleasantly surprised. The Stuarts were definitely an interesting dynasty! The book is filled with anecdotes that really bring them to life. (I listened to the unabridged audiobook which perhaps made some of the stories, such as Charles Stuart on the run, even more vivid and entertaining.)
Steve
Sep 27, 2012 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, enjoyable book about this most talented, yet obstinate and foolish royal family. particularly useful for the history of Scotland before the Union of the Crowns in 1603. A few incorrect details--but that is nothing unusual these days with publishers not bothering to edit and proofread very much. An easy and educational read.
  • After Elizabeth: The Rise of James of Scotland and the Struggle for the Throne of England
  • Ungrateful Daughters: The Stuart Princesses Who Stole Their Father's Crown
  • 1688: The First Modern Revolution
  • Éminence: Cardinal Richelieu and the Rise of France
  • A Gambling Man: Charles II and the Restoration
  • Crown of Thistles: The Fatal Inheritance of Mary Queen of Scots
  • In Triumph's Wake: Royal Mothers, Tragic Daughters, and the Price They Paid for Glory
  • Conquest
  • A Royal Passion: The Turbulent Marriage of King Charles I of England and Henrietta Maria of France
  • Thomas Cromwell: The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister
  • Kings and Queens of England
  • The Uncrowned Kings of England: The Black History of the Dudleys and the Tudor Throne
  • Queen Elizabeth in the Garden: A Story of Love, Rivalry, and Spectacular Gardens
Allan Massie (born 1938) is a well-known Scottish journalist, sports writer and novelist. Massie is one of Scotland's most prolific and well-known journalists, writing regular columns for The Scotsman, The Sunday Times (Scotland) and the Scottish Daily Mail. He is also the author of nearly 30 books, including 20 novels. He is notable for writing about the distant past.
More about Allan Massie...

“Macbeth was played before the first Stuart king of Great Britain and Ireland, James VI of Scots and I of England, and this scene served as a compliment to him.” 0 likes
“The word ‘steward’ derives from the Anglo-Saxon ‘stig’, meaning a hall, and ‘weard’, which is ward, guardian or keeper.” 0 likes