Start by marking “Working Mummies” as Want to Read:
Working Mummies

Working Mummies

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  135 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Get ready for giggles and ghouls in this celebration of hard-working mommies who also happen to be mummies. Here you’ll find a doctor mumcuring raspy spooks with coffin syrup and a fang-filling dentist completely wrapped up inher dangerouswork. You’ll also meet a librarianmummy who has her hands full with book worms, a writermum conjuring spells forreaders, and many others ...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Working Mummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working Mummies

Danica Midlil
I would have liked a car mechanic or business executive to balance out all those beauticians, manicurists, teachers, and caterers. The dentist and factory worker were pretty good though.
AND Yahoo for the librarian (even though it is a traditionally female job.) We are never mentioned anywhere!
Ashley
Jan 03, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Since going back to work, Oz has had some anxiety. Now when I leave I hear a lot of "I miss you" and "Don't go"'s. It breaks my heart, but I love my job and it's only part time, so I know he'll be fine. And in the long run, it's important that I keep doing what I love.

So while I was shelving children's books the other evening I found this and it couldn't be more perfect for us. It's Halloween ghoulish, and it's talking about something on both our minds.

Overall, I love it. The illustrations are
Kari
May 01, 2014 Kari rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-the-children
I didn't like much about this book and I am a Halloween queen. This book is not the tender Where is My Mummy, even with the same creature and rhyming nature. And it didn't have the charm of Bella and Boris, stars of the 'opposites attract' plot. Lots of the careers—caterers, manicurists, realtor of haunted houses—could have been replaced by: genetic splicer and dicer (Frankenstein), (Spider) Web Analyzer, and writer of Normal genre fiction (the horror).

The kids put the ultimate nail in the coff
Kaethe
Tash has been home sick the past few days, so when I went to the library last night to pick up my hold (More Baths, Less Talking), I plundered the new shelves for kids. When you're not feeling well, picture books are a balm.

We both quite liked this. the text is pretty simple and straightforward: monster mothers have all kinds of jobs. Too many picture books still depict a world out of Leave it to Beaver. But that's not why we loved it. We loved it for the art which is rich and weird. In addition
Lynne Marie
Apr 04, 2016 Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
Clever, punny, informative about jobs, sweet ending and fun illustrations.
kate
Sep 06, 2012 kate rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Caitlin Sempowich
Both a Halloween book - and a way to explain what working "mummies" are up to all day. Loved the retro-esque illustrations (the color palette alone! Wow!), the rhyme scheme, and the abundance of puns. Would use for a 3 and 4 year old storytime, and a Halloween story & craft.
Angie
Aug 16, 2012 Angie rated it liked it
This is a fun picture book all about the things that working mummies do. I love the play on words and the illustrations are marvelous. I think kids will really get a kick out of this book. It is funny and there are lots of little hidden gems in the pictures.
Kelsey
Sep 26, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-2nd, preschool
Age: Preschool - 2nd grade

The puns and witty humor know no bounds with this story--just the way I like it. Amidst the various professions provided, the retro, busy artwork provide fun for several readings of discovery.

Brittany
Nov 03, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
I randomly came across this book in the library during Halloween time and I'm so glad I did. I loved it. Very clever the way the author used the mummy to represent mommy. This is one I want to add to my personal library.
Caitlin Day
Aug 28, 2013 Caitlin Day rated it really liked it
This is a great book that adresses different jobs that mommies may have and how they can't wait to come home and see their children after a long day at work. The pictures are really cute and it's not scary. Great read!
Leah
Great illustrations accompany this rhyming story about all kinds of spooky Halloween mommies and their day/night jobs, with a sweet ending to boot! The length and jokes are better suited to a school-aged audience.
Kendra
Sep 13, 2012 Kendra rated it really liked it
Hee hee hee! I love puns, so this has just made my favorites list for this Halloween season. Also a good one to tie in with a career theme, or just to help kids with the idea of Mom or Dad going to work all day.
Paula
Illustrations and rhyming text introduce the many careers and professions of mummies, such as real estate agents selling haunted houses and dentists filing vampires' fangs.
Dec 10, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it
This is a cute book about the working woman. I really enjoy that they added a third shifter Mummy in there. So many books never reach the full spectrum of the working world.
Beverly
Mar 24, 2013 Beverly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Cute rhymes; appealing illustrations of mummies at various occupations; including one librarian. This would be a good choice for a Halloween or Monsters story time.
Teresa Scherping
Oct 16, 2012 Teresa Scherping rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, humor
A spooky ode to working moms! This would work best around Halloween, but it could also appeal to monster fans year round. Lots of little visual jokes and wordplay!
Melanie
Oct 29, 2013 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Fun Halloween book with all kinds of literary puns connecting working "mummies" to Halloween. I'm sure I'll read this to my kids for many Halloweens to come.
Laura Madsen
Aug 28, 2012 Laura Madsen rated it really liked it
As a working mommy and Halloween fan, I found WORKING MUMMIES very entertaining. My kids liked it too. Fun illustrations.
Linda Starr
Oct 27, 2014 Linda Starr rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-buy
Cute Halloween book about working Mummies! Loved it and that it wasn't too scary for my kids.
Gwen
Aug 18, 2012 Gwen rated it really liked it
Such a cute interpretation to show all the different types of working "mummies" out there.
Joye Fulgirl
Apr 23, 2013 Joye Fulgirl rated it really liked it
This is a really cute picture book which shows different ways that "mummies" can work!
Elisabeth
Sep 25, 2012 Elisabeth rated it liked it
Lively illustrations and not too over done. Fun new Halloween choice.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This is cute. I loved the writer moms and teacher moms shout outs.
Rachel
Aug 15, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Love the play on words/concepts. Great curriculum applications.
Marisa
Sep 25, 2012 Marisa rated it really liked it
this is a fun book especially since i am a working "mummy"
Linda Atkinson
Jul 18, 2012 Linda Atkinson rated it really liked it
Rhyming text. Preschool themes: monsters, jobs, mom
Sharon Lawler
Fun mash up between community helpers and Halloween.
Courtney
Sep 26, 2012 Courtney rated it liked it
Great book for this topic. Bobo loves mummies!
Ryan
Sep 22, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
An ode to Mummies (and Mommies) everywhere.
Edward Sullivan
Sep 20, 2012 Edward Sullivan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very punny. Cool illustrations, too.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »