Working Mummies

Working Mummies

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Get ready for giggles and ghouls in this celebration of hard-working mommies who also happen to be mummies. Here you’ll find a doctor mumcuring raspy spooks with coffin syrup and a fang-filling dentist completely wrapped up inher dangerouswork. You’ll also meet a librarianmummy who has her hands full with book worms, a writermum conjuring spells forreaders, and many others...more
Published July 17th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Danica Midlil
I would have liked a car mechanic or business executive to balance out all those beauticians, manicurists, teachers, and caterers. The dentist and factory worker were pretty good though.
AND Yahoo for the librarian (even though it is a traditionally female job.) We are never mentioned anywhere!
Ashley
Since going back to work, Oz has had some anxiety. Now when I leave I hear a lot of "I miss you" and "Don't go"'s. It breaks my heart, but I love my job and it's only part time, so I know he'll be fine. And in the long run, it's important that I keep doing what I love.

So while I was shelving children's books the other evening I found this and it couldn't be more perfect for us. It's Halloween ghoulish, and it's talking about something on both our minds.

Overall, I love it. The illustrations are...more
kate
Sep 06, 2012 kate rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Caitlin Sempowich
Both a Halloween book - and a way to explain what working "mummies" are up to all day. Loved the retro-esque illustrations (the color palette alone! Wow!), the rhyme scheme, and the abundance of puns. Would use for a 3 and 4 year old storytime, and a Halloween story & craft.
Angie
This is a fun picture book all about the things that working mummies do. I love the play on words and the illustrations are marvelous. I think kids will really get a kick out of this book. It is funny and there are lots of little hidden gems in the pictures.
Kelsey
Age: Preschool - 2nd grade

The puns and witty humor know no bounds with this story--just the way I like it. Amidst the various professions provided, the retro, busy artwork provide fun for several readings of discovery.

Brittany
I randomly came across this book in the library during Halloween time and I'm so glad I did. I loved it. Very clever the way the author used the mummy to represent mommy. This is one I want to add to my personal library.
Caitlin Day
This is a great book that adresses different jobs that mommies may have and how they can't wait to come home and see their children after a long day at work. The pictures are really cute and it's not scary. Great read!
Leah
Great illustrations accompany this rhyming story about all kinds of spooky Halloween mommies and their day/night jobs, with a sweet ending to boot! The length and jokes are better suited to a school-aged audience.
Kendra
Hee hee hee! I love puns, so this has just made my favorites list for this Halloween season. Also a good one to tie in with a career theme, or just to help kids with the idea of Mom or Dad going to work all day.
Paula
Illustrations and rhyming text introduce the many careers and professions of mummies, such as real estate agents selling haunted houses and dentists filing vampires' fangs.
This is a cute book about the working woman. I really enjoy that they added a third shifter Mummy in there. So many books never reach the full spectrum of the working world.
Beverly
Cute rhymes; appealing illustrations of mummies at various occupations; including one librarian. This would be a good choice for a Halloween or Monsters story time.
Teresa Scherping
A spooky ode to working moms! This would work best around Halloween, but it could also appeal to monster fans year round. Lots of little visual jokes and wordplay!
Melanie
Fun Halloween book with all kinds of literary puns connecting working "mummies" to Halloween. I'm sure I'll read this to my kids for many Halloweens to come.
Laura Madsen
As a working mommy and Halloween fan, I found WORKING MUMMIES very entertaining. My kids liked it too. Fun illustrations.
Gwen
Such a cute interpretation to show all the different types of working "mummies" out there.
Joye Fulgirl
This is a really cute picture book which shows different ways that "mummies" can work!
Elisabeth
Lively illustrations and not too over done. Fun new Halloween choice.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
This is cute. I loved the writer moms and teacher moms shout outs.
Rachel
Love the play on words/concepts. Great curriculum applications.
Marisa
this is a fun book especially since i am a working "mummy"
Linda Atkinson
Rhyming text. Preschool themes: monsters, jobs, mom
Sharon Lawler
Fun mash up between community helpers and Halloween.
Courtney
Great book for this topic. Bobo loves mummies!
Ryan
An ode to Mummies (and Mommies) everywhere.
Edward Sullivan
Very punny. Cool illustrations, too.
Paris
Paris marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Math Attack! Halloween Hoots and Howls (Henry Holt Young Readers) (Henry Holt Young Readers) Hippopotamus Stew and Other Silly Animal Poems I Brought My Rat For Show and Tell Divorced: 21 Days To Reclaiming Your Life: (An Emotional Freedom Technique & Thought Field Therapy Approach - EFT/TFT)