4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  16 reviews
For the seasoned Parisian traveller or the novice looking to get off the beaten track Cahill provides a roadmap to parts of the city most visitors will never see

In a city that is the destination of millions of travelers every year, it can be difficult to find your way to its lovely, serene spaces. Away from the madding crowds, the gardens of Paris offer the balm of flowers...more
Published April 10th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Gardens of Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Gardens of Paris

Chris
I wanted more pictures and more commentary, to be honest. But I love the fact that Cahill includes a list of nearby bookstores for each park.

(3.5)
Melissa
I had heard Susan Cahill on NPR discussing this book, and I was interested in reading it right off. I have visited Paris before, but in the winter, when these tucked-away gardens and green spaces would have been covered in a layer of snow. The idea of visiting "hidden" places in one of the most visited cities in the world is an inviting one. I finally picked up this book in anticipation of an up-coming trip to Paris, and reading the descriptions of these beautiful parks and gardens and studying...more
Joanne
What a gem of a book! I only wish I had it with me when I visited Paris. It isn't hard to imagine walking the whole city with this book in hand, looking for every gate and entrance to these lovely places. Even so, it was delightful to recognize some places I had actually been to.
Cheryl
I was given this as a gift because I was going to Paris. I poured over it beforehand to make sure I did not miss any wonderful garden spots in the city. I marked a few as must see and assumed I would hits others in the course of my meanderings. I did end up seeing so many more than I planned, because gardens are everywhere in Paris. Even in mid-October so much was still blooming and these gardens really became welcome spots to sit and ponder and rest one's feet! The extra tips of where to eat an...more
Erin
Made me want to go to Paris again! So many great things to see :)
Sarah Lotze
This is the sweetest little book, full of enticing descriptions of Parisian parks, their history and their environs.
I plan on having it in my bag as I wander the streets of Paris in a few weeks, peering around walls and finding the secret stairs that Susan Cahill says will lead me into verdant coolness and places of past torture and mayhem - what fun!
Zen Nana
The Hidden Gardens of Paris: A Guide to the Parks, Squares, and Woodlands of the City of Light offers a peek into more beauty than you knew existed in the city. With gorgeous photos by Marion Ranoux and fascinating stories by Susan Cahill, this one will nourish and delight travelers, including those of the armchair variety.
Ivona
Jul 22, 2012 Ivona rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: paris
Gleich beim ersten Platz war ich verzaubert von diesem Buch. Es ist so geschrieben, dass man die Augen schliesst und sich vorstellen kann, wie es dort aussieht. Mir gefällt auch sehr, dass es Orte sind, die nicht in jedem x-beliebigen Standardreiseführer für Paris vorkommen.
Hope
This is such a beautiful, interesting little book about Parisian gardens. It describes (and illustrates--there are beautiful photos) many of the parks and gardens that are less-known to tourists. And the book's layout and photographs are just lovely.
Nancy
An easy reading informative guide to finding green spaces in Paris, and finding quiet away from the major sites that all tourists come to see. Not a long history, just enough information to help you decide if this is a "must see" for you.
Amy Welborn
A really lovely little book, that is as straightforward as its title. Traveling with children, I am always looking for green space..this will be a perfect companion for us. I look forward to using it!
Liz
Got lots of great ideas of places to go in Paris. I liked this book because in addition to describing the gardens it also lists places and restaurants/cafes of interest nearby each garden.
Louise
Fabulous! One of the best guidebooks I have ever read. Wonderful for those who have already been to Paris as well as the newcomers
Ramarie
Makes me want to visit all these known and lesser-known parks of Paris! Nice book to add to my bookshelves, and re-read.
Mary
The best guidebook for enjoying a quiet lovely Paris.
Holly
Mar 06, 2012 Holly marked it as to-read
Just ordered this....can't wait.
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Linda Bartlett
Linda Bartlett marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Stephanie Kesselring
Stephanie Kesselring marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Athena
Athena marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Women and Fiction: Short Stories By and About Women Desiring Italy: Women Writers Celebrate the Passions of a Country and Culture Writing Women's Lives: An Anthology Of Autobiographical Narratives By Twentieth Century American Women Writers The Smiles of Rome: A Literary Companion for Readers and Travelers Wise Women: Over Two Thousand Years of Spiritual Writing by Women