Start by marking “Hidden Gardens of Paris: A Guide to the Parks, Squares, and Woodlands of the City of Light” as Want to Read:

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  64 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews

For the seasoned Parisian traveller or the novice looking to get off the beaten track Cahill provides a roadmap to parts of the city most visitors will never see

In a city that is the destination of millions of travelers every year, it can be difficult to find your way to its lovely, serene spaces. Away from the madding crowds, the gardens of Paris offer the balm of flowe
Published April 10th 2012 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Gardens of Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Gardens of Paris

Chris
Jan 08, 2013 Chris rated it liked it
I wanted more pictures and more commentary, to be honest. But I love the fact that Cahill includes a list of nearby bookstores for each park.

(3.5)
Karen!
Jan 10, 2015 Karen! rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Love it. Everything that an ultra-specific insider's guide travel book should be. I don't need to be patronized if I'm picking up a book this specific, and Susan Cahill is lovely enough to respect the reader and treat us as friends! This is a great guide for someone returning to Paris, or for the garden-enthusiast first time visitor. The directions are simple but useful. Love.
Bookish
Jan 24, 2016 Bookish rated it it was amazing
There is never a time when I am not dreaming of my return to the City of Light, of finding a new cafe to ensconce myself in for hours, of walking its bridges and getting lost in its streets. Hidden Gardens of Paris speaks to my ever-present Parisian daydreams, with secret green spaces within its pages, waiting to be discovered on my next trip.

Cahill has filled Hidden Gardens of Paris with parks and gardens, some known, others little known, accompanied by lyrical descriptions and some historical
Melissa
Jul 07, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: francophilia
I had heard Susan Cahill on NPR discussing this book, and I was interested in reading it right off. I have visited Paris before, but in the winter, when these tucked-away gardens and green spaces would have been covered in a layer of snow. The idea of visiting "hidden" places in one of the most visited cities in the world is an inviting one. I finally picked up this book in anticipation of an up-coming trip to Paris, and reading the descriptions of these beautiful parks and gardens and studying ...more
Joanne
Mar 20, 2014 Joanne rated it it was amazing
What a gem of a book! I only wish I had it with me when I visited Paris. It isn't hard to imagine walking the whole city with this book in hand, looking for every gate and entrance to these lovely places. Even so, it was delightful to recognize some places I had actually been to.
Cheryl
Nov 03, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I was given this as a gift because I was going to Paris. I poured over it beforehand to make sure I did not miss any wonderful garden spots in the city. I marked a few as must see and assumed I would hits others in the course of my meanderings. I did end up seeing so many more than I planned, because gardens are everywhere in Paris. Even in mid-October so much was still blooming and these gardens really became welcome spots to sit and ponder and rest one's feet! The extra tips of where to eat an ...more
Erin
Sep 03, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
Made me want to go to Paris again! So many great things to see :)
Sarah Lotze
Feb 19, 2013 Sarah Lotze rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest little book, full of enticing descriptions of Parisian parks, their history and their environs.
I plan on having it in my bag as I wander the streets of Paris in a few weeks, peering around walls and finding the secret stairs that Susan Cahill says will lead me into verdant coolness and places of past torture and mayhem - what fun!
Zen Nana
May 08, 2012 Zen Nana rated it it was amazing
The Hidden Gardens of Paris: A Guide to the Parks, Squares, and Woodlands of the City of Light offers a peek into more beauty than you knew existed in the city. With gorgeous photos by Marion Ranoux and fascinating stories by Susan Cahill, this one will nourish and delight travelers, including those of the armchair variety.
Ivona
Jul 22, 2012 Ivona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paris
Gleich beim ersten Platz war ich verzaubert von diesem Buch. Es ist so geschrieben, dass man die Augen schliesst und sich vorstellen kann, wie es dort aussieht. Mir gefällt auch sehr, dass es Orte sind, die nicht in jedem x-beliebigen Standardreiseführer für Paris vorkommen.
Hope
Feb 14, 2014 Hope rated it it was amazing
This is such a beautiful, interesting little book about Parisian gardens. It describes (and illustrates--there are beautiful photos) many of the parks and gardens that are less-known to tourists. And the book's layout and photographs are just lovely.
Nancy
Aug 17, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
An easy reading informative guide to finding green spaces in Paris, and finding quiet away from the major sites that all tourists come to see. Not a long history, just enough information to help you decide if this is a "must see" for you.
Amy Welborn
Apr 25, 2012 Amy Welborn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel, france
A really lovely little book, that is as straightforward as its title. Traveling with children, I am always looking for green space..this will be a perfect companion for us. I look forward to using it!
Liz
Apr 13, 2013 Liz rated it really liked it
Got lots of great ideas of places to go in Paris. I liked this book because in addition to describing the gardens it also lists places and restaurants/cafes of interest nearby each garden.
Louise
Oct 10, 2012 Louise rated it it was amazing
Fabulous! One of the best guidebooks I have ever read. Wonderful for those who have already been to Paris as well as the newcomers
Ramarie
Mar 02, 2013 Ramarie rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fic-nonfic
Makes me want to visit all these known and lesser-known parks of Paris! Nice book to add to my bookshelves, and re-read.
Mary
Jun 20, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing
The best guidebook for enjoying a quiet lovely Paris.
Holly
Mar 06, 2012 Holly marked it as to-read
Just ordered this....can't wait.
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jun 06, 2016
Averel
Averel rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Dlk
Dlk marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Stephen S. Johnson
Stephen S. Johnson rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Margaret Pinard
Margaret Pinard rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2016
Juliet Sykes
Juliet Sykes rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2016
Krissi
Krissi added it
Jan 25, 2016
Sara Lynn Keller
Sara Lynn Keller rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015