Creature Count: A Prehistoric Rhyme

Creature Count: A Prehistoric Rhyme

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Once upon a prehistoric time . . . One woolly baby trumpets with mother mammoth.Two flying reptiles soar with mom pteranodon.Three toothy kittens snarl with mother sabertooth. Set to the classic counting rhyme “Over in the Meadow,” Brenda Huante’s catchy text makes a perfect read-aloud, and illustrator Vincent Nguyen’s adorable dinosaurs and early mammals are simply irresi...more
Published July 3rd 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

Kim T.
This was an excellent intro to dinosaurs! It proved to be just right for my kids. The inclusion of rhyming, simple math, Dino details, plus the glossary were perfect. I loved the illustrations. This was a great, great book.

Rating: 5/5
Recommend: Yes
Bookshelf Worthy: Yes
Barbara
Blending a touch of science featuring almost everyone's favorites--prehistoric creatures--with math, this rhyming book helps young readers learn how to count from one to ten. The counting begsin with one wooly mammoth and "her little wooly one" (unpaged) and ends with a maiasaur and her ten little ones hatching from their eggs. Although it is highly unlikely that they'd ever be gathered together in such a fashion, the last page is filled with all sorts of these ancient creatures settling down to...more
A prehistoric version of "Over in the Meadow". Very friendly dinosaurs roam the pages of this book that young boys and girls alike will love. The back matter has some factual information about the dinosaurs that are included in the book. Get ready for a rollicking read aloud!
Alyn
I loved the illustrations for this book. They were really cute. The rhymes were short and easy to read.
Sharon Lawler
Colorful illustrations accompany the rhyming text as the prehistoric animals go from morning to bedtime.
Rebecca Plaza
'Over in the meadow' rhyme with great vocabulary. for movement.
The Library Lady
The dinosaurs are more than a little on the precious side, as are the lyrics, but they work fairly well with the tune.
I'd recommend this to weary parents with dinosaur obsessed kids who will probably accept this and How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? as bedtime stories while they reject stuff like Goodnight Moon.

Melissa
A pretty good version of "Over in the Meadow." I like that all the creatures are shown doing appropriate actions (the Maiasaur taking care of hatchlings and the hadrosaur hooting). The end note contains a reminder that not all of the creatures lived during the same eras, and provides the time range that each existed, but a graphic timeline would have been a addition for this audience. Depictions of the animals, while detailed, are definitely on the "cute" end of the spectrum.
Danica Midlil
"Over in the Meadow" done with dinosaurs!
Gripe: Although the last page explains that early mammals DIDN'T actually live alongside dinosaurs, the story shows this happening! If you are going to do dinosaurs, just do dinosaurs! Why is it necessary to throw those mammoth or saber-toothed tigers in and make it inaccurate?
Also, the back page does NOT offer a pronunciation guide! Lame!
Meg McGregor
This is a perfectly mesmerizing counting book that you can sing to the tune of Over in the Meadow.

Here woolly mammoths, saber-tooth tigers, stegosaurs, apatosaurs, T-Rexes, etc. encourage their little ones to snarl, hunt, soar, etc.

This has become one of my favorites to read and sing at storytime!
Shelli
The illustrations were adorable! Even the velociraptors were kind of cute. The rhyming style story was actually done rather well too. My daughter and I were both surprised that this was not just another "babyish" counting book. Young children will love this book and ask to hear it again and again.
Mary
Another variation of "Over in the Meadow" - this time with dinosaurs. Cute illustrations with nice, bold colors. My only quibble is that as a counting book, it should include the numbers 1-10. It only spells out the numbers within the text.
Joenna
Rhyming text in the pattern of "Over in the meadow" introduces dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures and their mothers, from one trumpeting woolly mammoth to ten hatching maiasaurs. Includes a timeline and facts about the animals in the rhyme.
Jess
This is a counting book but all I can say is look at that cover!! This book has managed to make this little T-rex irresistibly cute. Very nice introduction to numbers and dinosaurs at the same time.
Kendra
The rhyme actually works and there are dinosaurs so it's high on the kid appeal. I personally don't like the digital art, but I doubt kids will care. They're just in it for the dinosaurs.
Melanie
Our family loves books with words that go to the "Over in the Meadow" song. This one was cute and a fun addition to our preschool supplemental reading on the topic of dinosaurs.
Rachel
Great play on a traditional rhyme, solid language use and rhyme scheme. Great appeal for dinosaur lovers.
Jacqueline
Cute art but the story and the rhyming didn't really flow in a way I would have liked.
Edward Sullivan
Counting with cute colorful prehistoric critters to simple rhyme.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Over in the meadow tune with dinosaurs - cute
Janet
A dinosaur version of "Over in the Meadow."
Lindsay
To the tune of Over in the Meadow
Bethe
Bethe marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Aaliyah
Aaliyah marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Jasmine Olivia
Jasmine Olivia marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014