Start by marking “The Price of Gold: The Toll and Triumph of One Man's Olympic Dream” as Want to Read:
The Price of Gold: The Toll and Triumph of One Man's Olympic Dream

The Price of Gold: The Toll and Triumph of One Man's Olympic Dream

The harrowing, triumphant tale of a cyclist's journey to Olympic victory and the price he paid to achieve greatness.

Marty Nothstein, one of the greatest cyclists of all time, arrived at the 1996 Olympic Games a heavy favorite. In the match sprint at the Atlanta Olympics, an event akin to prizefighting on a bicycle, he raced around a banked, oval track. Nothstein lost by a
Published June 5th 2012 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Gold

Keely Richmond
Apr 30, 2012 Keely Richmond rated it really liked it
I won this book on Goodreads. I thought this book would take me out of my usual element of books to read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and learned a lot about cycling. His description of each race and event that takes place in this book really makes you feel as if you were there with him. I love his brutal honesty about himself, as well as his competitors. I will look forward to watching a new event that comes on television now, and have a new found respect for the sport, as well as this great ...more
Julie
Apr 30, 2012 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, memoirs
It took awhile for me to get into the book as it is told completely in the present tense and kind of bounced around a bit. But by the time I got to the second part-Marty's road back to the Olympics in Atlanta-it was fast reading ahead and the present tense/short wording was perfectly suited for describing the excitement o the match sprint atmosphere. Solid for someone who is a cyclist, not author, by trade.

*I received an advanced reading copy as a Goodreads FirstReads winner*
Beth Harper
The three stars are more because I couldn't get into all the detailed descriptions of races, and because Nothstein comes across as a driven jerk. He's honest about his jerkiness, for which I give him lots of credit. He's honest about self-absorbed world-class athletes can/have to be. It doesn't make for pleasant reading, though.
Katrina
Apr 30, 2012 Katrina rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads-win
First Read win. I actually received this a few weeks ago, but totally forgot about it. Finished it a few days ago. Pretty good read. It wasn't something I would normally read but I thought it was fun to read about someone's life and the way they achieved there dreams.
Elizabeth
Apr 30, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I won an ARC of this book in a goodreads giveaway. This book was easy to read and takes you into the mind of the cyclist that you feel like you are the one on the bike. I learned a lot about cycling reading this and thoroughly enjoyed it.
John Randolph
Oct 27, 2012 John Randolph rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up
There are so many grand cycling books to choose from. This one just didn't cut it for me. The writing style felt disjointed and unconnected.
Steve
Nov 15, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing
Fascinating story of one of the best bicycle track racers of all time.
Jess
May 24, 2012 Jess rated it really liked it
I always find it intereresting to read about cyclists. It's an amazing journey.
Russell
Russell rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2014
Todd Carris
Todd Carris rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2012
Dan Krehnbrink
Dan Krehnbrink rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Fredy Zuercher
Fredy Zuercher rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2013
Peter Ryan
Peter Ryan rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2012
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2012
Knows
Knows rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
Logan
Logan rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
Kevin Mcclelion
Kevin Mcclelion rated it liked it
May 04, 2015
Sue Cott
Sue Cott rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2012
Zach Schramm
Zach Schramm rated it really liked it
May 05, 2013
john e. rowland
john e. rowland rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Christina Lewis
Christina Lewis rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Rodale Books
Rodale Books rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Wesley
Wesley rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2015
Cameron Macdonald
Cameron Macdonald rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
May 29, 2015
Mistie
Mistie rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2014