Start by marking “Doc Holliday” as Want to Read:
Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

Doc Holiday

Matt Braun

He came from the American South, a gentleman by breeding, a dentist by training, a gambler by vocation. But as Dr. John H. Holliday, a man fleeing his tragic past, drifted across the West, living among some of the roughest men on the frontier, word spread quickly he never walked away from a fight, and he never drew too late.

Now, from Dodge City to Den
Audio CD, Abridged
Published December 6th 2011 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Doc Holliday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doc Holliday

Kerrie
This was a very straightforward, by-the-numbers novel about the life and times of Doc Holliday up until the point when he heads to Tombstone to meet up with the Earp boys. I knew next to nothing about Holliday other than what the movie Tombstone told me, and I learned a lot from this book. Quick searches on the interwebs backed up a lot of the main events so Matt Braun didn't seem to take too much artistic license with the facts.

There isn't much in the way of plot, but rather one episode in his
Angela Holland
Jul 31, 2012 Angela Holland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of Doc Holliday ever since I have seen the movie Tombstone and Val Kilmer played him. When I saw this book I just had to have so I could learn more about the infamous gunslinger. I am glad I bought it and finally picked it up to read. This was a very good telling of his life story. There was not a lot I knew about him other than his part in Tombstone and that he used to be a dentist. Matt Braun had a way of writing this story so you felt as if you really knew the man behind the ...more
Charles
Mar 24, 2014 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This is the first Matt Braun book I've read but I already ordered two more. I liked it a lot. Of course, I've always been rather interested in the character of Doc Holliday. Although I don't know the specific history, I'm pretty sure Braun took a lot of liberties with Holliday's life. That's OK. I didn't read it as a biography. The character was well drawn and there was quite a few interesting developments. I did think the book was probably a little longer than it needed to be and sections of it ...more
Joe
Aug 10, 2012 Joe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much. While reading it I kept picturing Val Kilmer playing the role of Holliday in the movie "Tombstone". This was nothing like Tombstone, covering the times when Holliday discovered his "consumption" and why he then went on to be a gambler.
Jake
Dec 11, 2010 Jake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Sometimes when you can buy a thing for $2 instead of $6, it moves itself up your priority list. Thanks to a local used bookstore, Doc Holliday by Matt Braun found its way into my collection this year (instead of probably never). Many years previously, I had read and enjoyed Braun’s Wyatt Earp . It hadn’t wowed me, but was a nice way to explore further the now-mythological gunfight behind the O.K. Corral.

Likewise, Doc Holliday proved to be an easy and enjoyable weekend read. This isn’t deep fict
David
Feb 29, 2016 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The major saving grave and appeal of this novel is its author's name. Beyond that, it offers very little that is worthwhile.

It is written in a double-minded sort of way, as if the author had gathered all his information about this Fort, this boomtown, this city---- and studied up on Doc Holliday in order to write a biography, but then discovered that the material didn't lend itself to a biography without a lot more work and so then decided to make it into a biographical novel. Which is why the
Johnathan
Sep 13, 2012 Johnathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Doc Holliday" has made me a fan of the genre! The only downside to this book is that it had to have ended. Who'd have known that in a plight to avoid idle daily conversation I would walk into Barnes & Noble and pick up such a great read.

Doc Holliday is not the good guy. In fact, he's pretty damn close to a bad guy. Sure, he lived off of principle, but it seems he instigated others into putting him into a "defensive" posture. That being said, I love him for it!

Matt Braun made you love the ch
Horace Clinard
Jan 27, 2015 Horace Clinard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story as it describes the life and times of this historical character in a straight-ahead uncomplicated way through the calendars dates, locations, and events (bourbon-some card play-some bourbon-some gun play. Doc is written in a sympathetic way with much good insight into who and what he was. Val Kilmer played Doc in the movie & set fort what the Doc should be. The dialogue was clever and clear and it moved the story along.
Howard Anders
May 31, 2013 Howard Anders rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The notorious Doc Holliday, prior to the gunfight at the OK Corral. Matt Braun paints a detailed and colorful picture of the life and times of Doc Holliday, the development of his legend, and his friendship with the lawman, Wyatt Earp. Interesting look at "the sporting life" in the old west, and the wild cattle and railroad towns where that life flourished. Very well done, sympathetic, look at a true legend of the West.
Aug 18, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't normally pick up a historical fiction type book like this, but my coworker had it on her desk as she was researching historical fiction, and told me it was a good read. I really liked the story and the writing. The scene of the old west is really fun, and it's a relaxing read. I'll check out more of his books!
NinjaK
May 11, 2015 NinjaK rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Super repetitive: guy shows up, wins a ton of money at poker, shoots someone, then moves on to the next town. At least ten times. The author then proceeds to completely bypass the story of Tombstone and the OK Corral shootout, which would have actually been much more interesting to read about. I'm glad I only spent $1 on it, and even that might have been a bit much.
Kurt Christensen
It was a little bit like groundhogs day. Doc would go into a town, make a lot of money on gambling, get in a gun fight, and kill the other guy. After the 5th iteration of this I started to get bored.
Drew
Doc Holliday (Gunfighter Chronicles) by Matt Braun (1997)
Ted
Apr 14, 2009 Ted rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I'm your Huckleberry!" Although he probably never uttered those words, this guy is one of my favorite characters in history. This book tells about his life and times. I loved it!
Morgan Barnes
Apr 17, 2016 Morgan Barnes rated it liked it
Shelves: us-history, biography
Not a bad biographical novel. Listened to it on CD while traveling - it kept my interest and helped the time pass quickly.
Bryan
It's been 7 years since I read this book, but I remember loving it.
Melinda
Jan 29, 2012 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually don't read western novels, but I am so glad that I read this one. I loved this book and would read it again and again.
Brenda
Now this one I remember. A lot of historical facts, some fiction. All in all, an enjoyable read.
Joyce
Jul 27, 2015 Joyce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the book. Would like to read more of Matt Braun
Katherine
Because I am very interested in the "wild west" and the characters that are memorialized in westerns, I truly enjoyed this book. It was informative and entertaining.
Mary Chambers
Dec 06, 2013 Mary Chambers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love his story.
John Hardin
Jan 05, 2013 John Hardin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the true story of the famous gunfighter, but a good dramatization of his exploits from the time he was diagnosed with tuberculosis until he heads to Tombstore.
Rob Sobieck
Rob Sobieck rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2012
Donald Ross
Donald Ross rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2012
Feudist
Feudist rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Roland Voth
Roland Voth rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Laurisa Reyes
Laurisa Reyes rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2017
Lynette Scott
Lynette Scott rated it really liked it
May 16, 2013
John Scott
John Scott rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
wow 1 8 Sep 10, 2009 11:16AM
  • Showdown At Yellow Butte
  • Shooter's Cross
  • Dutchman's Flat
  • Winchester 1886 (Winchester, #1)
  • Blood Riders