Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Doc Holiday

Matt Braun

He came from the American South, a gentleman by breeding, a dentist by training, a gambler by vocation. But as Dr. John H. Holliday, a man fleeing his tragic past, drifted across the West, living among some of the roughest men on the frontier, word spread quickly he never walked away from a fight, and he never drew too late.

Now, from Dodge City to Den...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published December 6th 2011 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 28th 2002)

Kerrie
This was a very straightforward, by-the-numbers novel about the life and times of Doc Holliday up until the point when he heads to Tombstone to meet up with the Earp boys. I knew next to nothing about Holliday other than what the movie Tombstone told me, and I learned a lot from this book. Quick searches on the interwebs backed up a lot of the main events so Matt Braun didn't seem to take too much artistic license with the facts.

There isn't much in the way of plot, but rather one episode in his...more
Charles
This is the first Matt Braun book I've read but I already ordered two more. I liked it a lot. Of course, I've always been rather interested in the character of Doc Holliday. Although I don't know the specific history, I'm pretty sure Braun took a lot of liberties with Holliday's life. That's OK. I didn't read it as a biography. The character was well drawn and there was quite a few interesting developments. I did think the book was probably a little longer than it needed to be and sections of it...more
Joe
I liked this book very much. While reading it I kept picturing Val Kilmer playing the role of Holliday in the movie "Tombstone". This was nothing like Tombstone, covering the times when Holliday discovered his "consumption" and why he then went on to be a gambler.
Jake
Sometimes when you can buy a thing for $2 instead of $6, it moves itself up your priority list. Thanks to a local used bookstore, Doc Holliday by Matt Braun found its way into my collection this year (instead of probably never). Many years previously, I had read and enjoyed Braun’s Wyatt Earp . It hadn’t wowed me, but was a nice way to explore further the now-mythological gunfight behind the O.K. Corral.

Likewise, Doc Holliday proved to be an easy and enjoyable weekend read. This isn’t deep ficti...more
Johnathan
"Doc Holliday" has made me a fan of the genre! The only downside to this book is that it had to have ended. Who'd have known that in a plight to avoid idle daily conversation I would walk into Barnes & Noble and pick up such a great read.

Doc Holliday is not the good guy. In fact, he's pretty damn close to a bad guy. Sure, he lived off of principle, but it seems he instigated others into putting him into a "defensive" posture. That being said, I love him for it!

Matt Braun made you love the ch...more
Howard Anders
The notorious Doc Holliday, prior to the gunfight at the OK Corral. Matt Braun paints a detailed and colorful picture of the life and times of Doc Holliday, the development of his legend, and his friendship with the lawman, Wyatt Earp. Interesting look at "the sporting life" in the old west, and the wild cattle and railroad towns where that life flourished. Very well done, sympathetic, look at a true legend of the West.
Ted
"I'm your Huckleberry!" Although he probably never uttered those words, this guy is one of my favorite characters in history. This book tells about his life and times. I loved it!
Katherine
Because I am very interested in the "wild west" and the characters that are memorialized in westerns, I truly enjoyed this book. It was informative and entertaining.
John Hardin
Not the true story of the famous gunfighter, but a good dramatization of his exploits from the time he was diagnosed with tuberculosis until he heads to Tombstore.
Melinda
I usually don't read western novels, but I am so glad that I read this one. I loved this book and would read it again and again.
Brenda
Now this one I remember. A lot of historical facts, some fiction. All in all, an enjoyable read.
Bryan
It's been 7 years since I read this book, but I remember loving it.
Julie G
Matt Braun is a great storyteller and I really enjoyed this book!
Doc  Holliday
Listened to the abridged version may come back later
Drew
Doc Holliday (Gunfighter Chronicles) by Matt Braun (1997)
Kim Blanchette
Kim Blanchette is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
David Horsey
David Horsey marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Kaj Samuelsson
Kaj Samuelsson marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Chaka_hahn
Chaka_hahn marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Daniel
Daniel added it
Dec 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
wow 1 8 Sep 10, 2009 11:16AM
Wyatt Earp: The Legend...The Man...The Untold Story Tombstone The Brannocks Outlaw Kingdom: Bill Tilghman Was The Man Who Tamed Dodge City. Now He Faced A Lawless Frontier. Noble Outlaw