Start by marking “Time Gangsters” as Want to Read:
Time Gangsters

Time Gangsters

liked it 3.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
When Billy discovers a hidden cache of ancient coins, it isn't long before a gang of thugs from the 1920s swipes them right from under him. Plotting to use the magical properties of the coins to seize power in the past, these power-hungry gangsters will do anything to reach their goal. Their future threatened, Billy and Danny must race through time to steal back the coins ...more
Published February 14th 2012 by Sweetwater Books

To ask other readers questions about Time Gangsters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Gangsters

Meagan Myhren-bennett
TIME GANGSTERS
By Berin L Stephens
Cousins Billy Fairbanks and Danny Shanks are about to embark on the adventure of a lifetime. Gangsters from the 1920s are searching their homes for hidden treasure. But what seemed like a strange dream is in fact reality!

When Billy and Danny examine a hole that they find in her bedroom wall they discover a metal box with four gold coins inside it. The cousins then bury their find in Danny’s backyard. But after Billy returns to his home the gangster that entered h
Aparajitabasu
If you see a man standing over your bed with a Tommy Gun pointed at you what would you do? Well read on...to find out about this strange situation. Presenting my views of Time Gangsters by Berin L Stephens .

Here is the summary of the book:

When Billy discovers a hidden cache of ancient coins, it isn't long before a gang of thugs swipes them right from under Billy. Plotting to use the magical properties of the coins to seize power in the past, these power-hungry gangsters will do anything to reac
Anna (Yoda Is My Spirit Animal)
Billy and his cousin Danny have never gotten along, even though they live next door to each other and their parents are best friends. They decide to call a truce though when 1920s gangsters break into both of their bedrooms within a two day period, looking for ancient coins with magic powers. They decide to find the coins before the gansters and spend the next few days chasing the gangsters through time, trying to save the future from being destroyed. But when Danny (Danielle) is kidnapped by ...more
Rebecca
Time Gangsters is a fun, fast, middle grade read. I haven't had this much fun with a book in this genre since I read the Percy Jackson series. It is one of those ridiculously out there stories that you think…why could that not have happened to my cousins and me when we were that age?!?!

Don’t let the cover fool you the two main characters Billy and Danny are two teens from our time. These two have been at each others throats for a long time, they are so different from one another it was fun to wa
J. Morgan
Oct 30, 2012 J. Morgan rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since I had this much fun reading a book. Really—it’s true! Time Gangsters by Berin L. Stephens was one of those books that I made time to read. While there is a lot of action and suspense in the book, it’s still fun and I found myself grinning each time I read.

What makes the book so fun to read? For me, it was the characters. I honestly believe that if you don’t care about the characters, you won’t care what happens to them. Stephens fills this book with unique and believable
Kris
Jan 23, 2012 Kris rated it it was amazing
Time Gangsters is a timeless read that will be enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story begins when Billy wakes up in the middle of the night to find who he believes to be a gangster in his room. From there, the story takes off as he makes a truce with his cousin Danny (short for Danielle), whom he's been pulling pranks on forever, and a search for treasure leads them and his friend Wheezy into a conflict bridging time.

Billy is a reckless youth who believes he is capable of anything. While he f
Splash Of Our Worlds *Yiota*
I requested Time Gangsters from NetGalley because it seemed a really adventurous book. And that was exactly what it was.

Time Gangsters even for the few pages it has, it's a long story but not tiring. It's fun, with action and time travel,treasures,hunting and quite enjoyable. With twists and everything. I don't see how a young kid won't like the book. It's like those movies were friends were going into crazy adventures and we were all "i so wish to be in their place". And the writing is light an
Christine Jensen
Jan 27, 2012 Christine Jensen rated it really liked it
This time traveling adventure takes a pair of cousins (Billy and Danny-who's name is actually Danielle) and Billy's friend Wheezy (a nick-name given to him because of his constant Asthma related wheezing) on an adventure between modern day Colorado and 1927 New York. Egyptian medallions that give the bearer magical powers are being sought by a prohibition era mobster for his bid to take over the country.

While the story is cute, with fun characters that the intended audience (middle grade readers
'becca
Feb 01, 2012 'becca rated it liked it
Wow. I liked that it came full-circle. Liked the humor. I enjoy hearing Reeds play at Club Velocity. Looks like he can turn a literary as well as a musical phrase. I'm kinda hoping for a sequel.

This book would have given my brothers and sisters and I a lot of fuel for play growing up.

A fan of Stargate SG-1, I was recognized the significance of a couple of coins and their powers. One of these hasn't been tapped yet. Looking forward to what happens in the next installment.

As a mother, this book wa
Shannon O'Donnell
Feb 09, 2012 Shannon O'Donnell rated it really liked it
I have come to depend on Cedar Fort Publishing as a great source for MG stories. Time Gangsters is another Cedar Fort title I enjoyed. If you love stories with a "mafia" flavor--gangsters and machine guns and old cars and mystery--you'll enjoy this one.

The main characters are a lovable group of kids with very distinct personalities. Danielle, the only girl, is too fun for words. She likes spinach salads for breakfast and is afraid of cell phones. My favorite part of the story is the growth in D
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Billy and Danny find themselves the unwanted objects of attention from gangsters that live in the 1920's. One night Billy is visited by a man with a tommy gun and Danny has someone in her room demanding coins. The thing they have in common is they are dressed and have speech patterns form the past.

These events lead to an adventure. Billy and Danny try to keep the magical Egyptian "coins" from the gangsters seeking control of the United States. They are trying to keep the past intact and not have
Cathy
Jan 12, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun book! There was so much action and crazy things going on all over the place. I loved the characters and how they fought at first, but then they realized that they needed to work together to steal back the coins. I loved the plot, I mean what kid doesn't dream of finding gold coins in the walls of their bedroom! Not to mention the coins do really cool things, like letting you jump really high. This book is written for elementary age kids, and I can't wait to have my 11 ...more
Literary Princess
A good plot idea - Prohibition era gangsters jumping through time to steal magic Egyptian medallions that give the user powers including time travel.

Terrible writing. Completely unbelievable characters. I could handle the predictiveness of it (considering that this was actually more of an upper elementary/middle grade book than a teen book), but I don't know if even a 4th grader would have swallowed the people's behaviors and dialogue.
Rebecca McKinnon
Dec 23, 2011 Rebecca McKinnon rated it it was amazing
Imagine waking up to breaking window and a man standing over your bed with a Tommy gun pointed at you. Not something you'd expect? Billy never would have believed it if it hadn't happened to him. This late-night visitor sends Billy, his friend Wheezy, and his cousin Danny into a treasure hunt to top every adventure Billy had ever dreamed of.

Hidden treasure, time travel, old-time gangsters, adventure, self-discovery. This book has it all. I'd recommend it for anyone from about age 8 to 200.
Sandy
Apr 20, 2012 Sandy rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-juvenile
Interesting story. I found one thing I thought was not accurate for the time it was set in--throwing out a trash bag. In that day, I think one would have emptied the dust bin. I don't think they had bags for their trash in those days. Not the way we do now. (trivia for sure, but I did think it sounded out of place) Otherwise I thought Berin did a nice job.
Sarahsketti
Oct 06, 2013 Sarahsketti rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
Okay, in all honesty, this book only got two stars because it was so hilariously terrible. I laughed out loud throughout this book and had to read lines out loud to my roommates. It was just trying to do way too much: time travel, mob wars, and ancient Egyptian in the same book? Not working out. But I got some decent amusement out of this, so I was kind.
Becca
May 29, 2012 Becca rated it liked it
Caleb was given this book as a gift - he flew through it and gave it to me to read. Cute story for kids - clean, good morals, and even a slight love story ;)
Debbie
Apr 23, 2012 Debbie rated it liked it
This was an interesting book about what could happen if gangsters were able to time travel and changed history.
Erin1
Erin1 rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2013
Vicky
Vicky rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Jo Davidsmeyer
Jo Davidsmeyer rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2013
Danie
Danie rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Laurie Arnez
Laurie Arnez rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2014
Krista Jenkins
Krista Jenkins rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Aylea
Aylea rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2013
Jaclyn
Jaclyn rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2012
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2012
Cati
Cati rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012