Start by marking “Dr. Franklin's Island” as Want to Read:
Dr. Franklin's Island

Dr. Franklin's Island

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  1,906 Ratings  ·  237 Reviews
What's it like to see your friend transformed into a raven before your very eyes, and to know it's your turn next? How does it feel to morph into a manta ray or slide into the body of a snake? This is what happens to Miranda, Semi and Arnie, three friends who are the sole survivors of a plane crash. They find themselves on a tropical island of azure waters and white sands. ...more
Published February 4th 2002 by Heinemann Educational Publishers (first published June 21st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Franklin's Island, please sign up.

Kayla
I read this book a long time ago, and recently picked it up again at the library because I remembered it was a great science fiction read and I was looking for something in that genre to satisfy the craving I’ve been having for that sort of book. Dr. Franklin’s Island was just as great as the first time around, reeling me in and dragging me along for the ride.

Of course, the book also freaked me out, in major ways. It took basically everything I fear (being trapped with no escape, having no one k
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
Oh my goodness, where do I even begin???
First off, this is the first, and I repeat THE FIRST, modern book that is actually science fiction! Most people just don't get that science fiction means science fiction, fiction based on scientific facts. Not fantasy fiction or dystopian fiction.
Our main character, Semi, ends up stranded on an island with Miranda and Arnie after a plane crash. For about forty days, they hunt for food and basically live in what they think is an uninhabited island. One day,
Sam
May 24, 2011 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good. It was definitely a great idea, but the writing kind of ruined it for me. I really liked the idea, and concept that children were captured and genetically modified to become transgenics, and I thought that the concept of getting lost on an island was good for the idea. Now, I found the original concept to be close to the short story The Most Dangerous Game . Otherwise, the actual idea of humans with DNA is similar to the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.

To be ho
V
Jan 01, 2013 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Let's take a moment to talk briefly on the subject of the Mad Scientist archetype, and his blood brother, the Mad Surgeon. Both of these archetypes, when done well, scare the hell out of me. I don't know quite why, but I suspect it has something to do with seeing a horrible part of The Dentist when I was a wee little thing, and having nightmares for months afterwards.

But... this stereotype does have the potential to go horribly wrong. The surgeon guy in the first Human Centipede film? Sure, he w
Danie
Nicola
Jul 04, 2009 Nicola rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Oh dear, quite possibly one of the most boring books I have ever read. Okay, I mean, it started out fairly good. And I was confident it would be good because my friend wouldn't let it rest till I read it. But the second they became animals, I seriously was falling asleep. It was SO boring. Nothing was happening. At all. Had to go through pages and pages of a freaking mantra swimming around doing... nothing. The start was okay, and the end was okay. But everything in between was garbage.
Carly
So, let the students pick the book we would read for Book Club...Sigh. The book wasn't that good. I guess the author thought that since it is a young adult novel, she didn't have to include a plot that was realistic. Or maybe this just isn't my type of book. The best thing I can say about it is that we are finished. Phew.
Camille Rivett
In the beginning of the book it was good. I had difficulty putting it down. But after a while it just started to drag. Nothing happened! And it wasn't like one of those books that were amazing, but when u think about it, what really happened? No. It was boring she kept dragging on about all of her problems, FOR PAGES AND PAGES she did this. A bit too much description for my taste.
Jessie
Apr 14, 2015 Jessie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was very fast paced and the concept (transgenics) is intriguing. There were a few parts that were a little too convenient and unrealistic. To me, this always happens in sci fi books.
Kirsten
Oct 26, 2011 Kirsten rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Franklins Island was a very strange book. I didn’t really like or care for this book at all. I wouldn’t really recommend this book to anyone unless they are love science fiction books. At the beginning of the story a group of teenagers plane crashed in an ocean surrounding a small tropical island on their way to a wildlife conservation center in the rainforests of Ecuador. Only three teens survive the crash. The three are left to fend for themselves on the island and they make an astonishin ...more
Hannah
Sep 30, 2010 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Franklins Island is a very suspensfull book, and it is a very good page turner.
When their is a plane crash in the middle of the ocean their are only 3 people who survive the crash. Dr Franklin is very scary and very manipulitive of their minds. I like how they turn into the animals that they have always wished they could be. But then Dr. Franklin keeps them in cages and studies them and experiments on them. When they see all of the teenagers that he has experimented on and turned into anima
Ashley
Jul 27, 2011 Ashley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While Ann Halam's YA novel offers an imaginative and horrific story for young readers, I personally found the book to be somewhat bland. Halam offers an interesting set-up for her characters, three young teens who, after surviving a plane crash, find themselves stranded on a deserted island with a mad scientist, but it is her characters that are the cause of the book's main issues. The book's three young teens come across as quite dull and while their situation is sympathetic, there is nothing t ...more
Sara
Apr 05, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've never read or seen The Island of Dr. Moreau, but I'm guessing that this book is more or less a teen version of the idea. (In an author's note, Ann Halam acknowledges that the novel was "somewhat inspired" by Dr. Moreau.) The beginning was a little slow for me, and I had a hard time liking Semi, the main character. The book is told from her point of view, and, especially at its opening, I sort of found her annoying. The plot picks up and takes a surprising (and graphic) turn towards the midd ...more
Gunne
Jan 18, 2009 Gunne rated it really liked it
Plane crash, check. Stranded on an island, check. This book has all the makings of what I would read. And it gets better - there's some degree of suspense and a good stream of science-fiction (genetics and stuff), all mixed with a healthy portion of emotion. How do you deal with being the first human guinea pig for an experiment? And not just psychologically - how do you cope when you start... changing? What will you do when your friend, a fellow crash survivor, begins to lose her human consciou ...more
Maggie
Nov 04, 2015 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this in school for a book club, and my teacher started a class book right in the middle of book clubs so it took me FOREVER to finish. I think my teacher forgot we even had book club books to finish.
Anyway, this book was really well developed. There was a lot of psychological components, as well as science that gave this book a touch of reality. I think I would have enjoyed this more if the descriptions of dead bodies and other living injuries weren't so graphic; that was a bit unn
Rosie
Jul 31, 2011 Rosie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story is a teenage version of The Island of Dr. Moreau. A group of teenage students on their way to a science expedition in Ecuador become stranded on a private island owned by a mad scientist who wants to experiment turning humans into animals. This was an interesting story, but is definitely not for the squeamish. The descriptions of the dead bodies from the plane crash and the scientific experiments are very detailed and a bit horrific. While I wanted to know what happened, I felt like p ...more
Valentino
Dec 15, 2016 Valentino rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best science- fiction I've read. The story was amazing because of all these commotions between the characters of how they can turn back to normal and escape from Dr.franklin. The ending was kind of disappointing for me because they get back home and live their life's again. The characters was loveable for me it is and was a one of a kind because of the experience of these characters almost seem realistic. This is what made the book fantastic
Wendy
Jul 03, 2008 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was dorky. I can't help it, I want to write a review. Perhaps it will save other people from becoming a victim. It started out so well and I was excited about what could happen and then it turned absolutely silly. Dr. Franklin turns the girls into a bird and a manta ray for crying out loud.
Jericho
Dec 14, 2016 Jericho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about semi and her friends going to planet savers trip, then their plane crashed on an island. They were stuck there with no food but there were coconuts, suddenly they a man and it was Dr. franklin. I like this book because when I read each chapter the keeps getting good. What I don't like about this book is when Dr.franklin had failed the experiment.
Ryandg
Jun 28, 2013 Ryandg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished it during English class today. Not a bad book over all. Very much my style of book, sci-fi and all. A bit over detailed, as i always say about books read in a hurry, but i actually would recommend this book and would read the sequel.
Dawn
Nov 28, 2016 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in English class at secondary school, unfortunately I can't quite remember which year I was in. Some of the imagery described is still quite vivid for me today. I believe it's loosely based off "The Island of Dr. Moreau" by H.G. Wells. This is on my 'to-read' list.
Kent R.
Dec 15, 2016 Kent R. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best Sci-Fy book I read I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was very fast paced and the concept (transgenics) is intriguing. There were a few parts that were a little too convenient and unrealistic. To me, this always happens in sci-fi books.
Jessie
Jul 09, 2010 Jessie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ecuador
It started off decent but the rest of it was terrible! This is one of the worst books I have ever read. So if you ever pick this up, do yourself a favor and put it back on the shelf and never read it.
Courtney
The first part of this book (when they were stranded on the island) was great. After that, I was bored stiff and kept thinking that this is an awful lot like The Island of Dr. Moreau. I felt that this story had potential, but didn't deliver.
Marybeth Taylor
why do I like this book so much you ask? well i don't know. but i read it all the imte-it's a quick read-and I absoloutly LOVE it. don't know why. READ IF YOU R AWESOME - and even if you aren't!
Deanna Altomara
Dec 20, 2015 Deanna Altomara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow in the beginning and lacking of character development, but overall a good read:)
Natasha
May 25, 2010 Natasha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Weirdest book ever. Really creepy, scary, and disturbing.
Andrea Hussey
Jul 03, 2016 Andrea Hussey rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lisa Lemus
Mar 28, 2012 Lisa Lemus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ugh
Waste of time. Just skip to the chase and read the good H.G. Wells' original version.
James Morton
Mar 18, 2016 James Morton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the book has good plot, and overall a really good read
  • The Dirt Eaters (The Longlight Legacy, #1)
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • Triple Your Reading Speed
  • Paris: Alex & Dana (Love Stories For Young Adults, #49)
  • Others See Us
  • Chaos Walking 2 In 1 Omnibus (Chaos Walking)
  • Wasteland (The Kin Trilogy, #1)
  • Shackleton's Stowaway
  • Gem X
  • The Big Empty (The Big Empty, #1)
  • The Goodness Gene
  • Deadly Pink
  • Shadows Beyond the Gate (Summerhill Secrets, #10)
  • Storm Thief
  • A Coalition of Lions (The Lion Hunters, #2)
  • Unbound (Havoc Chronicles, #2)
Ann Halam is a pseudonym of Gwyneth Jones.

As well as being a children’s author, Ann Halam writes adult science fiction and fantasy books as the popular and prizewinning author Gwyneth Jones. Her most recent titles for Wendy Lamb Books are Dr. Franklin’s Island, Taylor Five, and Siberia. She lives in Brighton, England.
More about Ann Halam...

“The plane blew up.”
“I wonder what happened to all the other people?”
As soon as I’d spoken, I wished I hadn’t said that. I decided shy people shouldn’t try to make conversation, not even in an emergency. If I manage to talk to strangers at all, nervousness always makes me say the wrong thing.”
1 likes
“But I suppose I’m a typical nerd, good at the details, not very smart at seeing the larger picture. I’d gone in for the competition because I liked my science teacher, and it had been like doing any interesting piece of homework. I had not thought it through. I had never sat myself down and said to myself, hold on, Semirah, what if you win? You are shy. How are you going to survive for three weeks surrounded by total strangers?” 0 likes