Start by marking “Dr. Franklin's Island” as Want to Read:
Dr. Franklin's Island

Dr. Franklin's Island

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,674 ratings  ·  193 reviews
What's it like to see your friend transformed into a raven before your very eyes, and to know it's your turn next? How does it feel to morph into a manta ray or slide into the body of a snake? This is what happens to Miranda, Semi and Arnie, three friends who are the sole survivors of a plane crash. They find themselves on a tropical island of azure waters and white sands. ...more
Published February 4th 2002 by Heinemann Educational Publishers (first published June 21st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Franklin's Island, please sign up.

I read this book a long time ago, and recently picked it up again at the library because I remembered it was a great science fiction read and I was looking for something in that genre to satisfy the craving I’ve been having for that sort of book. Dr. Franklin’s Island was just as great as the first time around, reeling me in and dragging me along for the ride.

Of course, the book also freaked me out, in major ways. It took basically everything I fear (being trapped with no escape, having no one k
♥iDevourBooks♥ ☆Sonic~Obsessed☆
Oh my goodness, where do I even begin???
First off, this is the first, and I repeat THE FIRST, modern book that is actually science fiction! Most people just don't get that science fiction means science fiction, fiction based on scientific facts. Not fantasy fiction or dystopian fiction.
Our main character, Semi, ends up stranded on an island with Miranda and Arnie after a plane crash. For about forty days, they hunt for food and basically live in what they think is an uninhabited island. One day,
This book was pretty good. It was definitely a great idea, but the writing kind of ruined it for me. I really liked the idea, and concept that children were captured and genetically modified to become transgenics, and I thought that the concept of getting lost on an island was good for the idea. Now, I found the original concept to be close to the short story The Most Dangerous Game . Otherwise, the actual idea of humans with DNA is similar to the Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.

To be ho
Let's take a moment to talk briefly on the subject of the Mad Scientist archetype, and his blood brother, the Mad Surgeon. Both of these archetypes, when done well, scare the hell out of me. I don't know quite why, but I suspect it has something to do with seeing a horrible part of The Dentist when I was a wee little thing, and having nightmares for months afterwards.

But... this stereotype does have the potential to go horribly wrong. The surgeon guy in the first Human Centipede film? Sure, he w
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It was very fast paced and the concept (transgenics) is intriguing. There were a few parts that were a little too convenient and unrealistic. To me, this always happens in sci fi books.
Dr. Franklins Island is a very suspensfull book, and it is a very good page turner.
When their is a plane crash in the middle of the ocean their are only 3 people who survive the crash. Dr Franklin is very scary and very manipulitive of their minds. I like how they turn into the animals that they have always wished they could be. But then Dr. Franklin keeps them in cages and studies them and experiments on them. When they see all of the teenagers that he has experimented on and turned into anima
Plane crash, check. Stranded on an island, check. This book has all the makings of what I would read. And it gets better - there's some degree of suspense and a good stream of science-fiction (genetics and stuff), all mixed with a healthy portion of emotion. How do you deal with being the first human guinea pig for an experiment? And not just psychologically - how do you cope when you start... changing? What will you do when your friend, a fellow crash survivor, begins to lose her human consciou ...more
Oh dear, quite possibly one of the most boring books I have ever read. Okay, I mean, it started out fairly good. And I was confident it would be good because my friend wouldn't let it rest till I read it. But the second they became animals, I seriously was falling asleep. It was SO boring. Nothing was happening. At all. Had to go through pages and pages of a freaking mantra swimming around doing... nothing. The start was okay, and the end was okay. But everything in between was garbage.
Sophie Zapoli

Overall this was an enjoyable and light read. This story does a remarkable job of making young readers reevaluate the ethics of experimental science as well as what it means to be animals, humans, and anything in-between. While the friendship between Semi and Miranda was touching, I felt that many of the characters needed to be fleshed out more. Dr. Franklin was simply the stereotypical mad scientist and nothing more and the three teens didn't connect very well with me. While they were distinct
Sam Wescott
I really enjoyed this book. I only gave it three stars because the writing style is only mediocre. The author has a tendency to gloss over convenient plot revelations and repeat phrases to the point of being irritating. This being said, I did not notice either of these habits when I read this book for the first time in 5th grade, which I think is closer to the intended audience than my present 20-something self.

What I loved so much about this story is the imaginative rendition of the mad scienti
Camille Rivett
In the beginning of the book it was good. I had difficulty putting it down. But after a while it just started to drag. Nothing happened! And it wasn't like one of those books that were amazing, but when u think about it, what really happened? No. It was boring she kept dragging on about all of her problems, FOR PAGES AND PAGES she did this. A bit too much description for my taste.

After a terrifying plane crash, three teenage survivors end up deserted on a tropical island not knowing the mystery behind it. Come see all these different, yet unique animals with different features. Some things may surprise you by all the mysterious happens on the island.

Miranda, Semi, and Arnie are teenagers who were accepted to go to a conservation station. Semi was shy, Miranda was outgoing and sociable, but Arnie was the guy who didn’t give out on a fight. When they all boarded the plane
So, let the students pick the book we would read for Book Club...Sigh. The book wasn't that good. I guess the author thought that since it is a young adult novel, she didn't have to include a plot that was realistic. Or maybe this just isn't my type of book. The best thing I can say about it is that we are finished. Phew.
This fantastic, ever-changing book by Ann Halam capturers the readers attention with strange plot twists and amazing new information. This story, dr. franklin's island, follows the paths of three very different children: Semirah aka. Semi, Miranda, and Arnie.
Semirah, your average chubby smart science student, enters into a contest. The prize is a three week trip to the Galapagos Islands provided by Planet Saver TV program. She never expected she would be one of the lucky winners. So, now on h
Finished it during English class today. Not a bad book over all. Very much my style of book, sci-fi and all. A bit over detailed, as i always say about books read in a hurry, but i actually would recommend this book and would read the sequel.
Marybeth Taylor
why do I like this book so much you ask? well i don't know. but i read it all the imte-it's a quick read-and I absoloutly LOVE it. don't know why. READ IF YOU R AWESOME - and even if you aren't!
I picked this book up when I was 13 and I fell in love. Already I was a science geek, and after reading this book I went head first for genetics.

How could could a story let you down when it has all the elements: Plane crash, living on an secluded island, meeting Dr. Franklin who tell you he can turn you into an animal, turning into an animal and escaping with only your life? It is all there!

Dr. Franklin's Island is an amazing book and even though I am 22, I still consider this books to be my fav
Barbara ★
I picked this book because I needed to read a book with "island" in the title. This is not something I would normally read. Honestly I had the most difficulty with the awful editing of the book. I kept checking to see if the author was perhaps not from an English speaking country but she's from England so I just don't understand. I found the typos to be rather distracting and the repeated phrases irritating. Both things that should have been eradicated by a decent editor.

Although an interesting
The story relates to Cast Away with a sickening twist.

Imagine surviving a plane crash and living in an island for days, still hoping that someday you’ll be saved. Imagine having all of your hope crushed by learning that you will never be saved because in the outside world you’re already dead and doesn’t exist anymore. Imagine being an unwillingly participant of an experiment that will turn you to an animal…no, a monster, a mutant.

That’s what happened to Semi, Miranda and Arnie after they encount
Rachel Star
Semirah Garson never expected to be plane-wrecked. She never expected to meet two people in an airport and have them turn out to be her only companions for the rest of her life. But the world is unpredictable like that. Semi, Miranda and Arnie are the sole survivors of a plane crash that landed them on an small tropical island in the middle of the Pacific. But being stranded is only the start of their nightmare. Dr Franklin's been waiting for them. And now they're here, his experiments can begin ...more
Zoë the Awesome
Jun 27, 2010 Zoë the Awesome rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a strong stomach, people interested in genetics
My class had spent the entire hour in the library looking novels to do book reports on. I still hadn't found one. The bell would ring in approximately three seconds, so I grabbed the nearest book that looked good. I know it sounds cheesy, but by the time I got home on the bus that day, my eyes were glued to the page. Granted, I was a bit repelled by the talk of dead bodies and genetic mutation. I wouldn't recommend this book for the weak stomached. But for those who enjoy some mild action and ho ...more
(B) Archer at KIPP
Mar 13, 2008 (B) Archer at KIPP rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to (B) Archer by: Lauren Hernandez <3
Shelves: girls-have-read
This book is about three kids Miranda, Semi, and Anrie who were on a trip to South America. Then their plane crashes, they are the only people who survive. Miranda, the oldest, feels the need to take charge, and knows how to survive. Anrie, the only guy on the island is the most self-fish; he takes things that only benefit him. Semi, the youngest, and she is the quietest.

After the plane crashes and they are in all alone. They wait for days for someone to come and find them, but day after day no
Stephen Gallup
This was the first of two books I carried along for a lengthy flight to China. I expected (and wanted) something light and easy. Turns out it was that (the target audience is YA), but it was also carefully and thoughtfully put together, which I certainly appreciated.

Basically, this is an update of the old HG Wells novel The Island of Doctor Moreau. A plane crash strands three teenagers on a desert island where they fall into the clutches of a mad scientist whose genetic experiments transform the
Mr Tyler
Im all done with this book! It was very good but also kinda wired. Here is a quick summary.The three survivors get shots and pills which turns one girl into a bird then it turns the other girl into a manta-ray. The girls find out that they can still communicate through chips that were implanted into them. The girls also find out that their third friend the boy named Arnie had been spying on Dr.Franklin and is trying to find a way to help the girls get back to the way they were before. Arnie find ...more
Cora Mae Follero
I am so mabilis in reading this one. Haha! Took me less than a day to finish it. :)))))))))))))))))

After reading this book, I was glad to learn that the author included some questions for discussions at the later part. I grab a pen and paper and wrote down my answers then decided to post it in this blog. :)

1. At the start of the book, Semirah Garson (Semi) looks around at the people she is about to spend three weeks with in the Ecuadorian rain forest and on the Galapagos Islands. She makes judge
Three kids go on camp of the smartest kids around from the country of Great Britain are going to Ecuador. These kids then board the plane and sleep until an alarm went off in the plane. Screaming kids and adults wandering what is happening. Finally one of the piolets came out and said we have had a deep engine failure. The plane soon crashed and the three kids were swept away to an island's shore.
All the kids woke up and introduced themselves in atomatic shock. Their names were Semi, M
Ann Halam's "Dr. Franklin's Island" appears to be a neat inversion of the classic H.G. Well's tale, "The Island of Doctor Moreau." Instead of one man being stranded on an island housing a mad scientist who is surgically altering animals to give them human like bodies and rudimentary capabilities of speech and cult worship, Halam tells the tale of three high school age kids who are stranded on an island with a mad scientist who is trying to give humans animal traits. The plot trips along at a ple ...more
Dr. Franklins Island was a very strange book. I didn’t really like or care for this book at all. I wouldn’t really recommend this book to anyone unless they are love science fiction books. At the beginning of the story a group of teenagers plane crashed in an ocean surrounding a small tropical island on their way to a wildlife conservation center in the rainforests of Ecuador. Only three teens survive the crash. The three are left to fend for themselves on the island and they make an astonishin ...more
  • Paris: Alex & Dana (Love Stories For Young Adults, #49)
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • They Came From Below
  • The Kindling (Fire-us, #1)
  • The Land Beyond the Portal
  • Bunker 10
  • Chaos Walking 2 In 1 Omnibus (Chaos Walking)
  • Triple Your Reading Speed
  • Others See Us
  • The Borrowers Aloft: With the Short Tale Poor Stainless
  • Unbound (Havoc Chronicles, #2)
  • Keeper of the Night
  • The Dirt Eaters (The Longlight Legacy, #1)
  • The Goodness Gene
  • Deadly Pink
  • A Coalition of Lions (The Lion Hunters, #2)
  • Storm Thief
  • Eager
Ann Halam is a pseudonym of Gwyneth Jones.

As well as being a children’s author, Ann Halam writes adult science fiction and fantasy books as the popular and prizewinning author Gwyneth Jones. Her most recent titles for Wendy Lamb Books are Dr. Franklin’s Island, Taylor Five, and Siberia. She lives in Brighton, England.
More about Ann Halam...