Start by marking “Duck Sock Hop” as Want to Read:
Duck Sock Hop

Duck Sock Hop

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  324 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
A rollicking, rhyming read-aloud that will knock your socks off!

Warm-up, wiggle, stretch your beak.
Duck Sock Hop comes once a week!
The mood is high, the sun is low,
the music starts, get ready, go!

In this tongue-twisting, toe-tapping picture book, ducks grab socks from a big sock box and head on down to the duck sock hop. In socks with stripes and socks with spots, soc
Published May 10th 2012 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Duck Sock Hop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duck Sock Hop

Heather
Jan 24, 2015 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Nothing amazing about this book. The illustrations are fun but fairly standard and the story is super simple and more word play than anything else BUT....this book is loads of fun to read with young kids. They love the rhyming (of course). Also when I read it to a class of five year olds we all wore special "fun" socks that day and took our shoes off to read it in our socks together, which they got a huge kick out of.
Katherine Cowley
Apr 21, 2015 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is my favorite picture book about ducks. And having read a great number of books about ducks, I can say this with confidence.

Ducks that dance and wear out their socks to rhyme with lovely pictures. Who could ask for anything more from a picture book?
Barbara
It's silly fun, but oh, how much fun it is to read this rhyming text while paying attention to the different shapes, sizes, and colors of the ducks that fill this book's pages. As the ducks gather together and put on their socks for their weekly sock hope, they look so funny in various-patterned socks. As at most parties, things end up getting spilled, the ducks get stuck on the sticky stuff, and some of them even fall down. They recover for awhile before purchasing more socks in anticipation of ...more
Miss Sarah
Jan 21, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: socks, ducks
ducks pick out funky socks and go to a dance in their socks where they have fun till socks get damaged and then the party ends. Rhyming and cute. A little long but I'll try with multiple age groups.
Elizabeth
Nov 30, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
What would it be like if the ducks got together and danced on Friday night every week? This rhyming, active book tells us all about it.
Molly
Apr 24, 2015 Molly rated it liked it
A fun book about dancing ducks wearing socks. The rhyme works well and the storytime kids really enjoyed it.
Susan
A group of ducks enjoy singing and dancing at a sock hop until their socks drop and they need to save up and go buy some more. This books has tremendous appeal for toddlers and pre-K because each page offers an opportunity to look for either patterns or matches as children see a wide variety of socks designs. Adding to the fun is the rhythm of the story and the word play.
Kim
Sep 26, 2015 Kim rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, way too cute. Perfect for storytime--lots of opportunity to wiggle. Adorable.
Anna
May 31, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Jane Kohuth engages readers and listeners alike on a variety of levels. First we get the rhythmic text about ducks who like to wear socks and dance, with playful, spot-on, finger- snapping, toe-tapping rhyme. On second look, the parent reader can point out a variety of concepts: shapes, colors, opposites (right/left, high/low) numbers “three ducks boogie, one duck rocks. Two ducks stop and trade their socks.”

The wonderful thing about this book is that it is...
For more please head to my blog Crea
Rachel
The ducks are ready for their weekly sock hop, and it’s going to be a little bit wild. Socks of all varieties are worn and worn out as the ducks spend an evening with music, dancing, and, of course, snacks. The rhyming text has the same swinging rhythm as the best volumes by Dr. Seuss or Sandra Boynton. The accompanying illustrations are bold, colorful, and cheerful.

This book will pair nicely with John Nedwidek’s Ducks Don’t Wear Socks (for obvious reasons) or Boynton’s Barnyard Dance (another g
Paula
Ducks dance their socks off at their weekly sock hop.
Meredith
Aug 29, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it
Perfect for my preschoolers.
Meghan Hunt
Oct 14, 2015 Meghan Hunt rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-picture-books
socks, dancing
Wooden Horse
Jul 15, 2012 Wooden Horse rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My three year old cousin has a sock fetish and has a very specific "duck dance" that he does so I was very excited to find this title to read to him. True to his nature he paid particular attention to each sock design. I don't think he was overly thrilled with the ending though. On the last 2-page spread none of the ducks have socks on. If he owned this book I'm pretty sure he'd draw some on even though based on the story line the ducks are not supposed to have socks on at that point in the stor ...more
Christine Ridout
Feb 16, 2013 Christine Ridout rated it really liked it
Shelves: nice
The Ducks are going to a sock hop. For this, they need all kinds of fabulous socks—every color you can imagine, some striped, some spotted, some with stars, diamonds and even cars and spoons. They have a ball at the hop but their socks get ruined. So, what do they need for the next sock hop? New socks of course. This book inevitably elicits a display and description of every pair of children’s socks in the room—including my own which are very boring because they are plain white!
Yoo Kyung Sung
Nov 09, 2012 Yoo Kyung Sung rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-ncbla
My Korean mothers will like this book that is not as complicating to read aloud to their children who are less attracted to read Korean books since their preschool years started. Easy English language yet my non-native English speaker mothers wouldn't pick naturally first. They will enjoy the playful nature of the book without challenges in translation or resistence from their Korean kids.
Bridget R. Wilson
The ducks gather for a weekly sock hop dance. They have so much fun they wear their socks out. But don't worry! They'll get new socks before the next sock hop comes.

What I thought: This is a fun book. I can't wait to use it in a story time. It's lively and the illustrations are perfect--bright colors, bold black lines, and good use of white space.

Story Time Themes: Ducks, Socks, Dancing
Elaine Dimopoulos
Apr 16, 2012 Elaine Dimopoulos rated it it was amazing
What a team the Janes make! _Duck Sock Hop_ is a spectacular, fun, frolicking read. Jane Kohuth's rhymes will make young readers clap their hands -- or, rather, tap their toes -- and join in the hop. Jane Porter's ducks and socks are colorful and lively. It's hard to find a flaw in this picture book. Perfect for read-alouds.
Marcie
Preschool or Kindergarten storytime or even after school fare, with sock decorating art activity. I'm sometimes put off by rhyming text, but who wouldn't want to sing "flocks of friends
march down the street
with empty box and bare duck feet.

I'm not sure where to find the Duck Sock Shop, but would love to pay them a visit.
Jenny
Jul 02, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
The ducks get together for a sock hop. They come wearing a variety of colorful and fun socks. They dance and have a good time, although a few socks get ruined during the dance. The story is okay although the rhyming text will lead many young children to enjoy it. The pictures make this book a fun read.
Kristen
I read this to my toddlers, and they weren't having any of it. Maybe it's a bad pick for the middle of story time--it's a tad long for that. But I think the cadence is nice, it's fun to read aloud, and the pictures are colorful and wonderful. So I will try it again another day--and with preschoolers too!
Margie
Jul 06, 2012 Margie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-a-day
Get ready to dance readers, Duck Sock Hop, written by Jane Kohuth and illustrated by Jane Porter will have you in motion after the first page and keep you going until the very last. Jane Porter's colorful, lively pictures are the perfect upbeat match.
Read my full review at:
Rebekah
Mar 14, 2015 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
My review on VBPL Recommends: http://vbplrecommends.blogspot.com/20...
LAWonder10
Jun 15, 2012 LAWonder10 rated it really liked it
This is about ducks an all signs of sock. It is very well illustrated with few words on each page.
Great for small toddlers or for baby's first book.
This is also a great for a 'first reader'.
I won this but if I saw it on a shelf, I would likely purchase it to read to my grandchildren
Kelsey
May 30, 2012 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Age: 2 years - 4 years

A tongue-twisting account of a rollicking duck dance-a-thon as they darn their multi-patterned socks. Soon the socks fall in disrepair leaving the ducks in a pile.

Similar to Boynton's fun animal rhymes, this is sure to keep toddles bouncing around with delight.
Marie
Jul 10, 2012 Marie rated it liked it
A rhyming book, reminiscent of the Sheep in a Jeap series. The illustrations are colorful and fun, but at times I feel the rhyming text is a little forced. I think this would be a good book to use when focusing on rhyme, but not the best narrative of it's kind.
Caroline
Mar 15, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
Ducks wearing socks is just inherently funny. The repetition of words and sounds makes this a good picture book for beginning readers and the movement described throughout the book is well suited for audience participation. Duck Sock Hop? Sign me up!
Jun 29, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Rhyming text. Silly situations for ducks and socks. A little Seuss-like.

Digital collage illustrations. Lots of textures/repeated stamped pieces - scanned in? Perhaps different pieces created then scanned and composited for final illustrations.
Janet
Oct 30, 2012 Janet rated it really liked it
An entertaining, nicely illustrated--it is the illustrator's debut picture book--about ducks selecting their socks to go to of course a sock hop. Love the illustrations of the ducks and children will adore the socks and the dancing.
Mandy
Jul 02, 2013 Mandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The ducks sort, share, and then wear socks for the Duck Sock Hop!

This book has a rhyme that should get the kids moving. It would also be great "paired" with a math sock sorting lesson. Silly Sock Day following this book is a must!
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Two Little Monkeys
  • No Two Alike
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • I Know a Wee Piggy
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • Huff & Puff: Can You Blow Down the Houses of the Three Little Pigs?
  • Too Tall Houses
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Red Sled
  • Dancing Feet!
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
Jane grew up in Brooklyn, New York, went to High School on Cape Cod, and now lives and works in her house in the historic district of Holliston, Massachusetts. She loves knowing that her house was built in 1871, making it the new kid on the block. She lives with her husband Michael and their black cat, Ruby.

Jane graduated from Brandeis University with a degree in English and Creative Writing and
More about Jane Kohuth...