Start by marking “Chloe, Instead” as Want to Read:
Chloe, Instead

Chloe, Instead

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  353 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
Molly always dreamed of having a sister who is just like her. But she got Chloe, instead. These two sisters are nothing alike: Molly loves to color with crayons. Chloe prefers the taste of wax. Molly loves to read. Chloe prefers to nibble a book's spine. Molly is frustrated! But then she realizes that maybe sisters aren't the ones next to you on the piano bench, they're th ...more
Published April 18th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published April 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chloe, Instead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chloe, Instead

Tatiana
Jul 06, 2012 Tatiana rated it liked it
Molly wanted a little brother or sister just like her, but she got Chloe, Instead. The sisters could not be more different, and they must find a way to get along using what they do have in common—Molly’s musical talent and Chloe’s love of toddler dancing, for instance—to bring them together. A cute tale of sisterly love, illustrated with brilliant, shocking color and characters with likeness to the Powerpuff Girls. It is shorter than I expected (too brief for a decent read aloud), but each page ...more
Kevin Doyle
Apr 28, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls, sisters, any ages
I imagine there are quite a few books out there that are intended to help older siblings be OK with the invasion of their home by a messy, rambunctious little brother or sister. Chloe, Instead is this type of book - and it's wonderful!

The thoughtful writing tells us a short, sweet story of all the ups and downs of having a troublesome toddler around the house. They get into everything, they mess with your stuff, they won't leave you alone - yet at the end of the day, you can't help but love them
Michelle McBeth
Dec 25, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
The girl in the story loves to play piano. She used to be an only child until her younger sister showed up. She was hoping for a sister just like her, but she got Chloe instead. Chloe is a high energy girl who gets into anything and everything. Her sister prefers quiet activities such as the piano, drawing and reading. Chloe pushes her sister's buttons a bit too much causing her to yell at Chloe. But then she feels bad and calls Chloe back. She plays the piano so that Chloe can dance. The girl i ...more
Natalie
Nov 10, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
The cuddling at the end is awww... inducing, but my favorite part throughout are the sister's sets of beautiful enormous eyes.
Hope Garland
This book, by Micah Player, is heart-warming. It tells of an older sister who just wishes her little sister would be more like her. This, I am sure, most older siblings can definitely relate to feeling at one point or another in their lives. Molly, the older sister, is refined, quiet, and artistic. Chloe, her younger sister, is a wild-child and a free spirit. I think that many older siblings would find this book easy to relate to. By the end of the book, Molly fully appreciates the differences b ...more
Barbara
Molly was perfectly content being an only child, and now that Chloe has come into her life, she describes all her annoying qualities and how she had hoped for a sister just like her. Chloe is more rambunctious than she is and prefers ripping out the pages of books to reading them. When she annoys Molly one time too many, Molly yells at her. Feeling guilty, she tries to make up for it by playing music so she can dance. Surprisingly, they both have a great time, and Molly is glad to have Chloe. Th ...more
Tricia
Aug 22, 2014 Tricia rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for younger children who are dealing with the addition of a sibling. Player does a great job of showing a mix of emotions that the child may experience; from excitement to disappointment to anger to love.
This book is an easy read with exciting images which to a terrific job of displaying (and provoking) emotion.
K.
Feb 19, 2012 K. rated it it was amazing
The author/illustrator is a brother-in-law, so of course it gets a good rating. BUT it's also adorable in every sense and deserves it. Our family is in love with the vibrant colors, fun way Micah illustrates, the cute story that reminds us of each time we added a new child to the family.

Yes, this is a plug for Micah, he has a few other things in the works that need support (starving artist and all that and we so want him to succeed, because he's so talented AND a great guy!)...

-http://www.amazo
Fiction State Of Mind
Aug 13, 2015 Fiction State Of Mind rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I was drawn to this book becsuse of itsadorable cover! This story explores the dynamics of the younger older syster dynamic. Chloe is thd youngest and fiestiest of the sister. Chloe drives her older sister to distraction but through the course of the story the fiend a common ground of love and respect. Very sweet!
Tasha
Jul 19, 2012 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Molly heard that she was going to have a younger sister, she wanted one that was just like her. But she got Chloe, instead. Molly likes to color with crayons. Chloe likes crayons too, but she likes to eat them. Molly likes to read books. Chloe likes books too, but she likes to rip them apart. She won’t leave Molly’s things alone either. So when Chloe pushes Molly a bit too far, she yells at her. But then Molly thinks a bit and calls Chloe back to dance along with her music. Suddenly, they f ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
An older sister is frustrated by the younger sister that she has. The sister likes to play the piano and color with crayons. The younger sister is good at anoying the older sister to the point that she gets mad. But after Chloe's feelings are hurt, the older sister realizes that Chloe is a pretty great younger sister after all.

This book has lots of bright colors that add to the drama of two siblings figuring out how to get along. The gigantic eyes on each of the sisters (especially Chloe) clue r
Jesse
Dec 02, 2015 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well damn. This one got the waterworks going! I'm going to need to check it out in print, because I need to see these awesome illustrations in a larger format. On a plot note: I was glad to see the narrator realize and correct her own hurtful behavior without being told.
Alma
Jan 10, 2015 Alma rated it liked it
This was such a cute book. My 5 year old daughter loved it and kept referring to her little sister. The teeth brushing picture and the last picture really caught her attention she said, "look mom just like me and savi". An easy read for kids beginning there reading adventures.
Alice
Aug 31, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-stars
Don't most girls want a little sister just like them. Well that is what she wants...but she gets Chloe instead.

A cute book about being a big sister, with a never baby! Nice pictures, nice sibling book!
Alexandria Hiam
Mar 18, 2016 Alexandria Hiam rated it really liked it
Cute story about a little girl who has a baby sister that she is not entirely too happy about. At first she wishes her little sister was just like her, but then she's glad she's just like herself.
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it really liked it
Lisa
Nov 22, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
A cute read, especially for those that are struggling to adjust to having a new baby sibling or struggling with the expectations vs reality of other situations. I admit though, my favorite part was the adorable cover art!
Jj Campisi
May 21, 2015 Jj Campisi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE it!

This book is a very good book because it reminds me of my little sister and how she wasn't who I wanted her to be but turned out into a nice, friendly sister.
Elaine
Feb 15, 2016 Elaine rated it really liked it
The illustrations are bold and colorful, and the story is sweet. It illustrates how our differences with our siblings make us special to each other.
Ms Threlkeld
May 05, 2015 Ms Threlkeld rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My 6-year old niece really liked this book b/c it reminded her of her sister. Good for making inferences and cool illustration style.
Weatherly
The art reminds me a little of Powerpuff Girl concept art, which is excellent, but the story and writing are just ok.
Crystal Allen
Mar 13, 2012 Crystal Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidspicturebooks
A charming little picture book. Perfect for any little girl who is expecting a baby sister or has recently had a baby sister join the family.

The artwork in this book is bold, bright and beautiful. I hope that there are sequels to this book. It reminded me a bit of Charlie and Lola but with younger characters.

I wish that they would do one with a little boy as the little brother. We are expecting a little boy in June and this would be the perfect gift for my daughter, however she really wanted a
Chris Go
The illustrations in this book are brilliant. The story though needed a bit more detail to make more sense. What changes Molly's feeling about Chloe isn't quite clear.

Molly has always wanted a sister like her, but she got Chloe, who seems nothing like her, instead. I did like that the book shows that being the oldest sister can be tough.

Still, I would recommend this book for a little girl who is about to become an Ate (big sister).
Nitza Campos
Apr 01, 2014 Nitza Campos rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Those that have a younger brother or sister will definitely relate to this book.
Jul 31, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
In this vibrant book full of color, an older sister reflects on life with a younger sister. Molly was that Chloe, the little sister, would be more like her. And it turns out that Chloe loves crayons and books, just not quite the way that Molly hoped for. In the end, Molly appreciates her unique little sister and is glad that they are different. The story ends sweetly, with Chloe climbing into Molly's bed for a snuggle.

Recommended for preschool audiences. Though the pictures are busy and attract
The Library Lady
Aug 18, 2012 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Taking one star off my review because I think it is bad form for the author's sister-in-law to be giving it five stars--she's not exactly impartial!

That said, this is another nice book about sibling rivalry. The artwork is not my favorite style--I really hate that bug eyed, cartoonish look, but it is sort of cute and the end sequence is nearly sweet enough to trip my saccharine-meter, but somehow manages to instead press my "aww--I have daughters myself" button.

Not a "necessary purchase" as the
Caitlin
Mar 11, 2014 Caitlin rated it really liked it
Adorable book for older siblings. My son loved it.
Jenny H.
Feb 26, 2014 Jenny H. rated it really liked it
Cute story about getting a new little sister.
Atikah
Jun 06, 2016 Atikah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, scribd, favorites
This picture book is the cutest.
Derek Mahar
May 10, 2014 Derek Mahar rated it it was amazing
Sophia really liked the ending!
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • When Blue Met Egg
  • Homer
  • Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story
  • Demolition
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Huff & Puff
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • No Bears