Start by marking “Chloe, Instead” as Want to Read:
Chloe, Instead

Chloe, Instead

Molly always dreamed of having a sister who is just like her. But she got Chloe, instead. These two sisters are nothing alike: Molly loves to color with crayons. Chloe prefers the taste of wax. Molly loves to read. Chloe prefers to nibble a book's spine. Molly is frustrated! But then she realizes that maybe sisters aren't the ones next to you on the piano bench, they're th ...more
Published April 18th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published April 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chloe, Instead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chloe, Instead

Mehsi
A cute book about Sister love.

Molly gets a little sister, she wishes she was just the same as here, but Chloe is totally different. Instead of drawing she eats crayons. Instead of reading she just rips the books (nooooooooooooo where are the parents?). At first I thought this would become a book full of comparisons on how the sisters were different, but, thankfully, it turns out to be much more.

Molly discovers something about her little sister, and her little sister also finds something out abo
Tatiana
May 04, 2012 Tatiana rated it liked it
Molly wanted a little brother or sister just like her, but she got Chloe, Instead. The sisters could not be more different, and they must find a way to get along using what they do have in common—Molly’s musical talent and Chloe’s love of toddler dancing, for instance—to bring them together. A cute tale of sisterly love, illustrated with brilliant, shocking color and characters with likeness to the Powerpuff Girls. It is shorter than I expected (too brief for a decent read aloud), but each page ...more
Natalie
Nov 10, 2012 Natalie rated it liked it
The cuddling at the end is awww... inducing, but my favorite part throughout are the sister's sets of beautiful enormous eyes.
Jen
Dec 30, 2016 Jen rated it liked it
Unique bold illustrations and simple sentences convey the struggles an older sister faces with her younger sister, who is annoyingly boisterous. The main character comes to a predictable conclusion (her younger sibling isn't all bad). Good book for first to second grade children, or for parents to read to children struggling with having a new younger brother or sister.
Kevin Doyle
Apr 28, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls, sisters, any ages
I imagine there are quite a few books out there that are intended to help older siblings be OK with the invasion of their home by a messy, rambunctious little brother or sister. Chloe, Instead is this type of book - and it's wonderful!

The thoughtful writing tells us a short, sweet story of all the ups and downs of having a troublesome toddler around the house. They get into everything, they mess with your stuff, they won't leave you alone - yet at the end of the day, you can't help but love them
Michelle McBeth
Dec 25, 2014 Michelle McBeth rated it it was amazing
The girl in the story loves to play piano. She used to be an only child until her younger sister showed up. She was hoping for a sister just like her, but she got Chloe instead. Chloe is a high energy girl who gets into anything and everything. Her sister prefers quiet activities such as the piano, drawing and reading. Chloe pushes her sister's buttons a bit too much causing her to yell at Chloe. But then she feels bad and calls Chloe back. She plays the piano so that Chloe can dance. The girl i ...more
Hope Garland
This book, by Micah Player, is heart-warming. It tells of an older sister who just wishes her little sister would be more like her. This, I am sure, most older siblings can definitely relate to feeling at one point or another in their lives. Molly, the older sister, is refined, quiet, and artistic. Chloe, her younger sister, is a wild-child and a free spirit. I think that many older siblings would find this book easy to relate to. By the end of the book, Molly fully appreciates the differences b ...more
K.
Feb 19, 2012 K. rated it it was amazing
The author/illustrator is a brother-in-law, so of course it gets a good rating. BUT it's also adorable in every sense and deserves it. Our family is in love with the vibrant colors, fun way Micah illustrates, the cute story that reminds us of each time we added a new child to the family.

Yes, this is a plug for Micah, he has a few other things in the works that need support (starving artist and all that and we so want him to succeed, because he's so talented AND a great guy!)...

-http://www.amazo
Barbara
Molly was perfectly content being an only child, and now that Chloe has come into her life, she describes all her annoying qualities and how she had hoped for a sister just like her. Chloe is more rambunctious than she is and prefers ripping out the pages of books to reading them. When she annoys Molly one time too many, Molly yells at her. Feeling guilty, she tries to make up for it by playing music so she can dance. Surprisingly, they both have a great time, and Molly is glad to have Chloe. Th ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
An older sister is frustrated by the younger sister that she has. The sister likes to play the piano and color with crayons. The younger sister is good at anoying the older sister to the point that she gets mad. But after Chloe's feelings are hurt, the older sister realizes that Chloe is a pretty great younger sister after all.

This book has lots of bright colors that add to the drama of two siblings figuring out how to get along. The gigantic eyes on each of the sisters (especially Chloe) clue r
Tasha
Dec 06, 2011 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When Molly heard that she was going to have a younger sister, she wanted one that was just like her. But she got Chloe, instead. Molly likes to color with crayons. Chloe likes crayons too, but she likes to eat them. Molly likes to read books. Chloe likes books too, but she likes to rip them apart. She won’t leave Molly’s things alone either. So when Chloe pushes Molly a bit too far, she yells at her. But then Molly thinks a bit and calls Chloe back to dance along with her music. Suddenly, they f ...more
Jul 31, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
In this vibrant book full of color, an older sister reflects on life with a younger sister. Molly was that Chloe, the little sister, would be more like her. And it turns out that Chloe loves crayons and books, just not quite the way that Molly hoped for. In the end, Molly appreciates her unique little sister and is glad that they are different. The story ends sweetly, with Chloe climbing into Molly's bed for a snuggle.

Recommended for preschool audiences. Though the pictures are busy and attract
Crystal Allen
Mar 13, 2012 Crystal Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidspicturebooks
A charming little picture book. Perfect for any little girl who is expecting a baby sister or has recently had a baby sister join the family.

The artwork in this book is bold, bright and beautiful. I hope that there are sequels to this book. It reminded me a bit of Charlie and Lola but with younger characters.

I wish that they would do one with a little boy as the little brother. We are expecting a little boy in June and this would be the perfect gift for my daughter, however she really wanted a
The Library Lady
Aug 18, 2012 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Taking one star off my review because I think it is bad form for the author's sister-in-law to be giving it five stars--she's not exactly impartial!

That said, this is another nice book about sibling rivalry. The artwork is not my favorite style--I really hate that bug eyed, cartoonish look, but it is sort of cute and the end sequence is nearly sweet enough to trip my saccharine-meter, but somehow manages to instead press my "aww--I have daughters myself" button.

Not a "necessary purchase" as the
Angie
Oct 03, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Molly wanted a little sister just like her. Instead she got Chloe who is exactly the opposite. Chloe destroys things and gets in Molly's way. But in the end they are sisters and she wouldn't want anyone else. First of all, I want Molly's hair. I wish my hair would do that. Second, I love the story. As someone with two sisters I can attest that different is better sometimes. I love the message of sisters in the book.
Morgan York
Sep 13, 2012 Morgan York rated it really liked it
I chose this book as my 2013 Caldecott Winner. I think that the illustrations in it are very well done and meet the standards for Caldecott winner. This book is very colorful and that is wonderful for children. It draws their attention and allows them to focus more on the book. The drawing are also very fun and brought to life. They have a cartoon feel about them that makes it funny, as so is the book. I think this would be an excellent choice for the Caldecott winner.
Chris Go
The illustrations in this book are brilliant. The story though needed a bit more detail to make more sense. What changes Molly's feeling about Chloe isn't quite clear.

Molly has always wanted a sister like her, but she got Chloe, who seems nothing like her, instead. I did like that the book shows that being the oldest sister can be tough.

Still, I would recommend this book for a little girl who is about to become an Ate (big sister).
Great Books
Jul 05, 2012 Great Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birth-4
In a book that all older siblings can relate to, Molly wanted a little sister that was just like her and what she got was Chloe, instead. The two sisters are completely different. Molly is calm and sedate and Chloe is a whirling dervish of energy. The illustrations lead us through Molly’s frustrations but also to her realization that a little sister like Chloe is just what she needed.

Reviewed by Reviewer 19.
Rosa
Jul 17, 2012 Rosa rated it liked it
An extremely bright picture book about the pitfalls of getting a new sister. Chloe is a lot of fun and it just takes her older sister a little while to realize that while things may not be perfect, they are still pretty great. I loved the colors and style of this books illustrations. Very short sentences (although a couple of weird breaks) make this book for younger readers and possibly story time appropriate.
Jenny
Jul 11, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Bright, fun illustrations showcase the differences between the narrator and her younger sister Chloe. She'd hoped her baby sister would be just like her, but Chloe has her own unique personality. This would be a good story to share with a bigger brother or sister who sometimes gets exasperated with his/her younger brother or sister.
Nick
Sep 04, 2012 Nick rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This is a cute little book about how sisters can be different, but still get along. It's not perfect, but it's also not preachy. The younger sister's facial expressions are delightful, as is her "dance sequence."
The story becomes a simple touching tale about how little sisters can eat your crayons and push keys on your keyboard but still be lovable and loving.
Fiction State Of Mind
Aug 13, 2015 Fiction State Of Mind rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book
I was drawn to this book becsuse of itsadorable cover! This story explores the dynamics of the younger older syster dynamic. Chloe is thd youngest and fiestiest of the sister. Chloe drives her older sister to distraction but through the course of the story the fiend a common ground of love and respect. Very sweet!
Tricia
Aug 22, 2014 Tricia rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for younger children who are dealing with the addition of a sibling. Player does a great job of showing a mix of emotions that the child may experience; from excitement to disappointment to anger to love.
This book is an easy read with exciting images which to a terrific job of displaying (and provoking) emotion.
Shannon McGee
Oct 09, 2012 Shannon McGee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012
Chloe, sister couldn’t wait for her to be born. Her older sister wanted someone that would like the same things she did but Chloe has her own likes and dislikes.

This is a great book for an older sibling preparing for a new baby. It’s funny, it’s cute, and it’s got some truth. I would love to see this as a series. The drawing is excellent and fits the story.
Nanci Booher
Aug 19, 2013 Nanci Booher rated it it was amazing
I immediately judged this book by it's cover, thinking to myself, "That looks really fun!" I was right...it was really fun. Molly wants a sister, a sister just like her. What she gets is Chloe, someone not like her but Molly soon discovers that having someone not like her is just what she wanted.
Bree
Feb 21, 2013 Bree rated it it was amazing
It was a beautifully illustrated book with bright colors. Both girls were completely adorable. It is a story I have read many different ways with the same outcome. They complain about the baby sibling but in the end love them just as they are. This one was just better because of the illustrations. It gave it a charm that others didn't have.
Lisa
Nov 18, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
A cute read, especially for those that are struggling to adjust to having a new baby sibling or struggling with the expectations vs reality of other situations. I admit though, my favorite part was the adorable cover art!
Libby
Dec 07, 2013 Libby rated it really liked it
A cute, colorful story of sibling rivalry that is also a very quick read-aloud. I think my kids liked Chloe's antics that upset her sister as much because they've gotten in trouble for some of them as anything else. Fun and touching.
Jj
Sep 30, 2013 Jj rated it it was amazing
The kids absolutely love the colors and pictures in this book. The only thing me and the kids did not like was, that the book was so short. I love love reading children books. This book was great to teach children to be miss appreciative of their siblings.
Apr 12, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The little girl in this story complains about how she wanted a baby sister just like her, but she got Chloe instead. It turns out her little sister and her share more in common than she thought.
3.8 Great book for little kids. Lots of life lessons and great illustrations.
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • When Blue Met Egg
  • Homer
  • Kite Day: A Bear and Mole Story
  • Demolition
  • Don't Squish the Sasquatch!
  • Huff & Puff
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • No Bears