Start by marking “Chloe, Instead” as Want to Read:
Chloe, Instead

Chloe, Instead

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  262 ratings  ·  80 reviews
Molly always dreamed of having a sister who is just like her. But she got Chloe, instead. These two sisters are nothing alike: Molly loves to color with crayons. Chloe prefers the taste of wax. Molly loves to read. Chloe prefers to nibble a book's spine. Molly is frustrated! But then she realizes that maybe sisters aren't the ones next to you on the piano bench, they're th ...more
Published April 18th 2012 by Chronicle Books (first published April 4th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Chloe, Instead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chloe, Instead

Tatiana
Molly wanted a little brother or sister just like her, but she got Chloe, Instead. The sisters could not be more different, and they must find a way to get along using what they do have in common—Molly’s musical talent and Chloe’s love of toddler dancing, for instance—to bring them together. A cute tale of sisterly love, illustrated with brilliant, shocking color and characters with likeness to the Powerpuff Girls. It is shorter than I expected (too brief for a decent read aloud), but each page ...more
Kevin Doyle
Apr 28, 2014 Kevin Doyle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls, sisters, any ages
I imagine there are quite a few books out there that are intended to help older siblings be OK with the invasion of their home by a messy, rambunctious little brother or sister. Chloe, Instead is this type of book - and it's wonderful!

The thoughtful writing tells us a short, sweet story of all the ups and downs of having a troublesome toddler around the house. They get into everything, they mess with your stuff, they won't leave you alone - yet at the end of the day, you can't help but love them
Hope Garland
This book, by Micah Player, is heart-warming. It tells of an older sister who just wishes her little sister would be more like her. This, I am sure, most older siblings can definitely relate to feeling at one point or another in their lives. Molly, the older sister, is refined, quiet, and artistic. Chloe, her younger sister, is a wild-child and a free spirit. I think that many older siblings would find this book easy to relate to. By the end of the book, Molly fully appreciates the differences b ...more
Barbara
Molly was perfectly content being an only child, and now that Chloe has come into her life, she describes all her annoying qualities and how she had hoped for a sister just like her. Chloe is more rambunctious than she is and prefers ripping out the pages of books to reading them. When she annoys Molly one time too many, Molly yells at her. Feeling guilty, she tries to make up for it by playing music so she can dance. Surprisingly, they both have a great time, and Molly is glad to have Chloe. Th ...more
Tricia
This is a great book for younger children who are dealing with the addition of a sibling. Player does a great job of showing a mix of emotions that the child may experience; from excitement to disappointment to anger to love.
This book is an easy read with exciting images which to a terrific job of displaying (and provoking) emotion.
K.
The author/illustrator is a brother-in-law, so of course it gets a good rating. BUT it's also adorable in every sense and deserves it. Our family is in love with the vibrant colors, fun way Micah illustrates, the cute story that reminds us of each time we added a new child to the family.

Yes, this is a plug for Micah, he has a few other things in the works that need support (starving artist and all that and we so want him to succeed, because he's so talented AND a great guy!)...

-http://www.amazo
Tasha
When Molly heard that she was going to have a younger sister, she wanted one that was just like her. But she got Chloe, instead. Molly likes to color with crayons. Chloe likes crayons too, but she likes to eat them. Molly likes to read books. Chloe likes books too, but she likes to rip them apart. She won’t leave Molly’s things alone either. So when Chloe pushes Molly a bit too far, she yells at her. But then Molly thinks a bit and calls Chloe back to dance along with her music. Suddenly, they f ...more
Joella www.cinjoella.com
An older sister is frustrated by the younger sister that she has. The sister likes to play the piano and color with crayons. The younger sister is good at anoying the older sister to the point that she gets mad. But after Chloe's feelings are hurt, the older sister realizes that Chloe is a pretty great younger sister after all.

This book has lots of bright colors that add to the drama of two siblings figuring out how to get along. The gigantic eyes on each of the sisters (especially Chloe) clue r
Crystal Allen
A charming little picture book. Perfect for any little girl who is expecting a baby sister or has recently had a baby sister join the family.

The artwork in this book is bold, bright and beautiful. I hope that there are sequels to this book. It reminded me a bit of Charlie and Lola but with younger characters.

I wish that they would do one with a little boy as the little brother. We are expecting a little boy in June and this would be the perfect gift for my daughter, however she really wanted a
Chris Go
The illustrations in this book are brilliant. The story though needed a bit more detail to make more sense. What changes Molly's feeling about Chloe isn't quite clear.

Molly has always wanted a sister like her, but she got Chloe, who seems nothing like her, instead. I did like that the book shows that being the oldest sister can be tough.

Still, I would recommend this book for a little girl who is about to become an Ate (big sister).
Nitza Campos
Those that have a younger brother or sister will definitely relate to this book.
In this vibrant book full of color, an older sister reflects on life with a younger sister. Molly was that Chloe, the little sister, would be more like her. And it turns out that Chloe loves crayons and books, just not quite the way that Molly hoped for. In the end, Molly appreciates her unique little sister and is glad that they are different. The story ends sweetly, with Chloe climbing into Molly's bed for a snuggle.

Recommended for preschool audiences. Though the pictures are busy and attract
The Library Lady
Taking one star off my review because I think it is bad form for the author's sister-in-law to be giving it five stars--she's not exactly impartial!

That said, this is another nice book about sibling rivalry. The artwork is not my favorite style--I really hate that bug eyed, cartoonish look, but it is sort of cute and the end sequence is nearly sweet enough to trip my saccharine-meter, but somehow manages to instead press my "aww--I have daughters myself" button.

Not a "necessary purchase" as the
Caitlin
Adorable book for older siblings. My son loved it.
Jenny H.
Cute story about getting a new little sister.
Derek Mahar
Sophia really liked the ending!
Vanessa
oh the joys of siblings and how it is good that they are not the same as us.
Morgan York
I chose this book as my 2013 Caldecott Winner. I think that the illustrations in it are very well done and meet the standards for Caldecott winner. This book is very colorful and that is wonderful for children. It draws their attention and allows them to focus more on the book. The drawing are also very fun and brought to life. They have a cartoon feel about them that makes it funny, as so is the book. I think this would be an excellent choice for the Caldecott winner.
Angie
Molly wanted a little sister just like her. Instead she got Chloe who is exactly the opposite. Chloe destroys things and gets in Molly's way. But in the end they are sisters and she wouldn't want anyone else. First of all, I want Molly's hair. I wish my hair would do that. Second, I love the story. As someone with two sisters I can attest that different is better sometimes. I love the message of sisters in the book.
Great Books
In a book that all older siblings can relate to, Molly wanted a little sister that was just like her and what she got was Chloe, instead. The two sisters are completely different. Molly is calm and sedate and Chloe is a whirling dervish of energy. The illustrations lead us through Molly’s frustrations but also to her realization that a little sister like Chloe is just what she needed.

Reviewed by Reviewer 19.
Rosa
An extremely bright picture book about the pitfalls of getting a new sister. Chloe is a lot of fun and it just takes her older sister a little while to realize that while things may not be perfect, they are still pretty great. I loved the colors and style of this books illustrations. Very short sentences (although a couple of weird breaks) make this book for younger readers and possibly story time appropriate.
Shannon McGee
Chloe, sister couldn’t wait for her to be born. Her older sister wanted someone that would like the same things she did but Chloe has her own likes and dislikes.

This is a great book for an older sibling preparing for a new baby. It’s funny, it’s cute, and it’s got some truth. I would love to see this as a series. The drawing is excellent and fits the story.
Nick
This is a cute little book about how sisters can be different, but still get along. It's not perfect, but it's also not preachy. The younger sister's facial expressions are delightful, as is her "dance sequence."
The story becomes a simple touching tale about how little sisters can eat your crayons and push keys on your keyboard but still be lovable and loving.
Bree
It was a beautifully illustrated book with bright colors. Both girls were completely adorable. It is a story I have read many different ways with the same outcome. They complain about the baby sibling but in the end love them just as they are. This one was just better because of the illustrations. It gave it a charm that others didn't have.
Jenny
Bright, fun illustrations showcase the differences between the narrator and her younger sister Chloe. She'd hoped her baby sister would be just like her, but Chloe has her own unique personality. This would be a good story to share with a bigger brother or sister who sometimes gets exasperated with his/her younger brother or sister.
Nanci Booher
I immediately judged this book by it's cover, thinking to myself, "That looks really fun!" I was right...it was really fun. Molly wants a sister, a sister just like her. What she gets is Chloe, someone not like her but Molly soon discovers that having someone not like her is just what she wanted.
Beth
Molly wanted a little sister just like her... she got Chloe instead.

A surprisingly sweet story of two sisters and the dichotomy of love/hate relationship siblings often have for each other. Micah Player was able to get this push and pull in so few words and pages.
The little girl in this story complains about how she wanted a baby sister just like her, but she got Chloe instead. It turns out her little sister and her share more in common than she thought.
3.8 Great book for little kids. Lots of life lessons and great illustrations.
Jj Le
The kids absolutely love the colors and pictures in this book. The only thing me and the kids did not like was, that the book was so short. I love love reading children books. This book was great to teach children to be miss appreciative of their siblings.
Ryan
Being an older sister I get wanting one thing in a younger sibling but getting something else. Sometimes it’s a good thing to not get what you wanted. I love the colorful pictures and the art style; however I prefer the printed picture book to the eBook.
  • Zoe Gets Ready
  • Zorro Gets an Outfit
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Small Bunny's Blue Blanket
  • It's a Tiger!
  • Homer
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella)
  • hello! hello!
  • A Home for Bird
  • The Quiet Place
  • The Monsters' Monster
  • Silly Doggy!
Lately Lily: The Adventures of a Travelling Girl Around the World Puzzle Lately Lily Sunny Yellow Suitcase Lately Lily ABC Travel Flash Cards Lately Lily Matching Game